A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Discuss a Brawl Tournament

ila

This topic is for the discussion of various ideas related to running a Super Smash Bros Brawl tournament at SFGHQ. I don't expect the first one to even take place until at least April, but I had a few ideas that I gleaned from some idiot at SER, but anyway, lets just talk about concepts and what would be the best ideas:

1) Number of combatants

2-4. 2 is obviously the easy solution here, the only problem would be if an odd number showed up, but theres always a bye or make the matches 3v3. Not alot to discuss here.

2) Occassional team matches

Either randomly assigned or predetermined teams of 2. I think it would fun to have to work with someone else on occasion. Thoughts?

3) Items

Okay, none of us (except for PG and his pirating shipmates) have had a chance to play Brawl yet, but I'm all for having items on most of the time, maybe getting rid of the really annoying ones on occasion, and once in a while just doing a nice no items match. (Don't even start the tourney tard shit this time guys.) I think it was DW who mentioned being able to turn off containers, so that might not be a bad idea either. We can always discuss that later too.

4) Limiting characters (for themed matches once in a while)

One idea that occured to me was limiting characters that can be used. I'm not talking about banning one character, but instead forcing players to play with say, Mario characters only, or using the original 12 characters. might be fun for a change of pace.

5) "Final Boss" setup.

So say that SG wins the first Brawl tournament, maybe next time (if he elects) he can get a nice cozy seat at the end of the tournament, where he just has to defend his title in one match. It might be amusing. Also, a limit would be in order, like say 2 times every 4 tournaments or something. It was just a fun little idea that came up at SER, although in a different context.

6) Stages

I say all stages.

7) Prizes

I say just one prize: bragging rights.

8) Character rotation

1 character per tournament or letting players switch it up between matches?

9) Time vs Stock vs Coin/Point

All of them have their own merits, although for a tournament setting I'd say time is best.

those are just ideas I'm throwing up there. I really have no desire to try and actually organize any tournaments, unless no one else does. Discuss.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll step up to the task of organizing one. I know you got busy with the Pokemon tourney and stuff, so if you're not up to it, I'm game.

As for the other bits, a Smash Ball discussion might pop up either now or when the game comes out. Quite frankly, I have a hard time dodging a FS in a 1v1 match, though it's a bit more feasible in 3 or 4 player. Either way, it packs a hard enough punch that you're probably going to die if you don't have low percentage (varies based on the FS). Same applies to Assists, but to a lesser degree (Lyn, for example is deadly unless you time an airdodge jussssssssst right.)

Themed matches could be fun. Mahrio vs. Weegee, Mario Bros. Stage with Mario items could be fun. But for a general tourney, standard rules should suffice.

Sign me up, These ideas seem sweet and I'm all for them.

I'll admit that some of the items (I'm looking at you bomb-omb) give out unexpected or unwanted deaths that tend to annoy. I don't really give a crap just as long as there's a tourney (and there's no spamming)

<3 Ila :D.

I'm definitely all for doing some tourney action, I think we should definitely lean towards using items, I enjoy those items that come in a pinch, plus a well placed proxi mine is amazing when no one remembers it for a while.

All the ideas you presented though I'm all for. I should be getting the game on the 4th, if any of you n00bs get it early too we can even start a pre-emptive brawl tourney.

Also, I'd definitely be willing to team up with PG on hosting these tourneys, two people is always better than one, especially if the other has something come up.

Unless I participate over at SG's, I probably wouldn't be able to do the tournament. However, putting my 2 cents in anyway, and I think the character limitation is not a good idea. I don't really see the point in banning any characters really.

Items should be on, or at least have two separate tournaments, one with items and one without. And that's every item either off or on, not some items off and some items on.

fox only no items final destination

Apologies for not making myself clear: character limitations would only be used one in a while for a "theme match" of sorts. I like the idea of having two people organize the tournaments. Anyway any more suggestions to throw out? We have a long way to go before release, so theres still time to forumulate ideas.

I'd specifically like to discuss PG's suggestion regarding Final Smashes.

Also added points to the first post concerning stages and prizes.

Apologies for making myself clear: character limitations would only be used one in a while for a "theme match" of sorts. I like the idea of having two people organize the tournaments. Anyway any more suggestions to throw out? We have a long way to go before release, so theres still time to forumulate ideas.

I'd specifically like to discuss PG's suggestion regarding Final Smashes.

Oh well that'd be awesome then. Not so much limitations, just straight up theme matches would be fun. The obvious all pokemon on a pokemon stage, using only pokeballs. 1v1 with metaknight/dedede vs Kirby, etc.

I don't have any kind of problem with final smashes OR assist trophies. They just go right along with items. They'll either give you an advantage or not, and half the final smashes are pretty easily dodged anyway.

team tournaments would be really fun. Me and SG would be the mario bros. from HELL

Originally, I was about to motion for no Smash Balls in duel matches. But then I thought about it and realized that anything can be avoided if you're good enough. Anything. Even Kirby's pot has a limited range. Granted, Marth's instakill is pretty bonkers, but he stops at the edge of whatever platform he's on, and only strikes in a line.

I'm more worried about the Landmaster and Octopus, the latter of which can only be avoided by some handy ledge grabbing if the stage is too small (on larger stages, it's pretty simple.) Super Sonic's pretty hard too, but I think you should be able to air dodge it each time the player zooms at you.

tl;dr: there's no reason to exclude them from 3/4 player. 1v1 is debatable. Perhaps letting the players decide prior to the match. If a compromise can't be made, a tourney moderator can get a final word. It's a bit messier, but I think that's the best way to please everyone. Yay Utilitarianism.

Originally, I was about to motion for no Smash Balls in duel matches. But then I thought about it and realized that anything can be avoided if you're good enough. Anything. Even Kirby's pot has a limited range. Granted, Marth's instakill is pretty bonkers, but he stops at the edge of whatever platform he's on, and only strikes in a line.

I'm more worried about the Landmaster and Octopus, the latter of which can only be avoided by some handy ledge grabbing if the stage is too small (on larger stages, it's pretty simple.) Super Sonic's pretty hard too, but I think you should be able to air dodge it each time the player zooms at you.

tl;dr: there's no reason to exclude them from 3/4 player. 1v1 is debatable. Perhaps letting the players decide prior to the match. If a compromise can't be made, a tourney moderator can get a final word. It's a bit messier, but I think that's the best way to please everyone. Yay Utilitarianism.

Well then also realize that the overall consequences of the smash balls are uncircumstantial, maybe it might amount to a kill, but even if you do get hit, if you are skilled enough you can still tip the battle in your favor. If this were a game with a health bar, I can see why having them could have serious consequences. You also can fight to have the smash ball, it's not like it's a "oh I lucked out and grabbed the smash ball first", Sakurai designed it so skill is required to even keep the thing long enough to use it. (like the powerstones in powerstone, although the supermode in that really does break the game a bit.)

I must ask though, why are we being tourney dorks? Is the game that broken that we need to restrict some of the content out?

Smash Balls are fun when you get it, but when you're on the receiving end, you're screwed roughly 8 times out of 10 in a one on one. Sure, if you didn't get it first, it's your fault, but it doesn't give you much room for error.

It's a double-edged sword, really. The only reason I brought it up is because ila brought up items on/off, and Smash Balls/Assists often feel like a whole other beast in and of themselves.

Personally, I don't give a rat's ass either way (Cause I'll have enough experience to handle any Final Smash! MUAHAHAHAHAHA), but people do tend to get extremely butthurt when they lose a match due to FS rape.

tl;dr: We're trying to establish rules everyone can agree on and have fun with. Smash Balls are part of the rules, hence the discussion. There's no "right way" to play, so deciding how to play rests upon the people playing.

I'm just trying to avoid as much complaints as possible, since people were bitchy about the Pokemon Tourney, and people do bitch about whatever rules we play in Brawl no matter where I'm playing (I've since discovered my school's gaming club has a modded Wii and the game, so I'm always within range of Brawl :P). We'll probably just run a quick poll if we can't come down to a concrete decision, that way the people casting the winning votes are happy and the minority of people who don't like the rules can either cope with it or buzz off. I'm sure GameFAQs members would welcome you to a few tourneys.

I don't think there will be any problems, though. The game's default rules should suffice, and that should be that, in my opinion. A separate, itemless tourney could run at the same time too if you absolutely MUST fight with NO ITEMS NO LANDMASTER FAWKES ONLY FINAL DESTINATION, but I think that'd be excessive.

For my purposes, I prefer low frequency, no hearts, yes tomatoes, yes stars, yes hammers, and yes to everything else except the raygun.

In otherwords, everything except stuff that pretty much guarantees a free kill. And yes, in the right hands, a raygun is always a free kill.

For people who don't like items as much, I at least like to play with basic attack weapons enabled. In other words, beam sword, star rod, etc. These weapons have a few nuances that people should be able to play with and they add tons of strategy to the game. Understanding the starrod's downward enemy launching arc is probably the most valuable skill related to it for instance.

I'm willing to play no item games, but I find the use of no items at all to be somewhat unbalancing and rather boring.

A tournament where we get to brag our asses off? Count me in!

Besides ive been wondering how far my neighborhood skills can get me with other players.

I think a fun idea would be to have certian matches where its like 3 people Vs one, except the singular guy would have like uber buffs. (Giant size, lots of HP, double damage, stuff like that.)

Im not sure if brawl allows that kind of setup (i was praying that it did) but if it did, i would enjoy ganging up with 3 human players on this one guy and still end up losing.

Last time we did a fighting game tournament, you guys just bitched about what version of Street Fighter to use, then on what console to play it on. In the end, we never played Street Fighter and I hated you all.

I can see the same thing happening here. Just do what SG said, which is the FUN WAY TO PLAY!

I'm all about using everything the game throws at you, it's part of the game, why not?

OH SHIT YES

Also:

nonsensical mumbo jumbo no doubt leaked from camp

We're just discussing some ways to make sure everyone has fun with this. kthxbye.

Fucking annihilated.