A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Mario Roots

kirbyhi5

Looks nice, It plays pretty well considering it isnt a real demo or anything. I enjoyed playing it, it felt smooth, and it felt fresh for some reason. I adore the graphics, they are very nice indeed, and they fit Mario levels rather well. However my gripe is that, the hud needs work, and also.... why does Mario lose coins??? Meh anyway, enjoyed it, so you deserve a rep up!

-=-Amesuki-=-

70 views and 1 comment? not good. =/

is it generic? boring? mediocre? I can change this if that's what it is, to make it maybe more exciting. or is it because its a mario game?

Cmon folks I need opinions whether it's positive or negative. I'm open to anything, as for this is only a beta2 engine test.

yeah, there's sound.

BTW, this is quite fun... I was sad when it suddenly ended. Good use of the SV2 engine.

Holy. You knew what engine I was using just by playing it?

Wow nice. Yea I changed the max speed and re-positioned the collisions. Other then that it's pretty much sonic with a mario sprite.

Is there sound? I'm using an emulator, so I don't know if Wine is not emulating the sound or what...

Yea it has sound. I used .ogg format for the music. mp3's were to large, but converting to .ogg makes them alot smaller and doesn't reduce any of the audio quality.

Holy. You knew what engine I was using just by playing it?

Wow nice. Yea I changed the max speed and re-positioned the collisions. Other then that it's pretty much sonic with a mario sprite.

Yea it has sound. I used .ogg format for the music. mp3's were to large, but converting to .ogg makes them alot smaller and doesn't reduce any of the audio quality.

Wine played sound once, then it stopped. And .oggs aren't a problem since Ubuntu actually prefers them over mp3.

The Z spring thing didn't work too well for me. Maybe there's some sort of timing I just don't get?

Anyway, I have a couple of suggestions.

1) Add running. I'm always running in older Mario games. Or, if you're not out to preserve that old-school feel, maybe add Donkey Kong '94 or Super Mario 64 like jumping elements.

2) Make the torpedo dealie dependent on charge time. So that way, you can have weak blasts and hella strong blasts.

But, I think you're doing a good job thus far. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest.

Wine played sound once, then it stopped. And .oggs aren't a problem since Ubuntu actually prefers them over mp3.

The Z spring thing didn't work too well for me. Maybe there's some sort of timing I just don't get?

Anyway, I have a couple of suggestions.

1) Add running. I'm always running in older Mario games. Or, if you're not out to preserve that old-school feel, maybe add Donkey Kong '94 or Super Mario 64 like jumping elements.

2) Make the torpedo dealie dependent on charge time. So that way, you can have weak blasts and hella strong blasts.

But, I think you're doing a good job thus far. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest.

Thank you.

- You press Z about 1-2 seconds after bouncing off the spring. Note: You can only do it once.( if you could do it more then once, people might abuse it and keep doing it for a higher score) Although, I CAN make it so you can do it infinite amount of times, but lower the score you get from it. Or, lower the bonus points you get from doing it more then once.

-Yea I'm adding running when I release the full demo. As for the triple jump, I might. It depends. If I were to add it, the triples wont make you go too much higher.

-Good idea. I think I'll actually add that in. If you think about it, it's actually a sonic spindash. hehe

Again, thanks for testing.

updated with screenshot.

Need feedback folks on if you can even pass the first level, or is the menus too confusing.

I would actually be happy to receive a page full of negative comments rather then nothing. They really help improve the game. sorry I know im impatient, but I hate waiting 2 weeks for 1 comment.

• 2 weeks later...

I think this game should get alittle more replies, the engine is alittle buggy, and the animations get stuck sometimes, but the game itself is graphically awesome, I can't believe how "papery" everything looks, and how it looks true to the actual paper mario theme, and it's done in MMF2.

Quite impressive.

• 4 weeks later...
I'll have something to reply with if he puts the demo back up.

Oh my bad I forgot all about this place. I'll just wait and put the full demo up when its done. Anyway I do have two videos.

Update Feb 17

-Added a small video showing some stuff. 1 minute and 38 seconds.

Demo is still on its way. I decided I'm going to add 1 level in the challenge mode, and am updating some misc stuff.

In challenge mode you use pure skill to beat the level. Your stats play no role. Obviously, they are very difficult, and you can win bonus stuff for beating them. Coins/items etc. I temporarily took down the game download since it was very old now, and my current one I will not release yet until the actual demo.

The actual first challenge level is pretty hard. There are boo's who chase you, and many spikes. I advise you take the level very SLOWLY, or you will die fast. Also, the light is dimmed, and if you touch a spike/enemy you automatically lose. hahaha. Good thing I show how it's done just briefly.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngsdKbn6bjg

I have finished the challenge level 1, and I will say, you MUST BE PATIENT. PATIENCE IS THE KEY. I KNOW people will be complaining about dieing alot, but what can I say. It's a challenge level. you HAVE to go slow at some points or you will die.

I have made a video of me playing the level, and showing you just how to beat it. Sad thing is I DIED AT THE END. But oh well that's basically how you do it.

------------------------------------SPOILERS ----------------------

Video:

Video contains Spoilers on how to beat it.

I made this stage look very easy OBVIOUSLY because I played it about 50 times and I know what to expect. However, I cannot say the same for you playing it.

At that one part, all I can say is..RUN FOR DEAR MERCY.

Note: Challenge Levels are usually short, maybe only takes 1-2 minutes to beat.

I realized something. It's hard to make a level actually...difficult..O.o

Looks really cool and crisp..Really nice job on the visuals..Yeah, I think it's a pretty good blend of both sonic and mario elements. I'm especially liking the dash/head dive ability..hehe

Thanks. I've spent awhile on this game now(2months) and I still haven't even released the demo yet. It's because I am a perfectionist and the base level MUST be perfect, and considering this an RPG, I have to make it so you can go replay the stage at like Lv. 99 and it doesn't screw stuff up.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, just to make 100% sure it ISN'T TOO HARD, I'm going to release the first challenge mode level for testing. I'm actually curious if anyone can beat it, or any suggestions/issues/bugs. This will probably be the only one I release, since it's just the first one.

Tip: Close Firefox out for better for performance. I noticed when I had firefox running the gameplay was slowed down a bit. Good luck. And yes, it's possible to beat without doing any insane crap. Just watch where you walk.

Download: http://www.sendspace.com/file/y67luj

• 4 months later...

Gonna go ahead and update this thread here. I've released a Gameplay 5 video if anyone is interested in how the recent additions is going so far. (GOT PLATFORMING WITH STATIC ENGINE TO WORK!) and yes yes, i know your probably tired of seeing the same level 1, but im not gonna create a bunch of levels just to backtrack and re-paste all the codes again. That is the one thing I do not like about MMF2. They should of made the global event function with qualifiers and such so I dont have to re-paste all the codes again for every level. Makes it a damn pain

Video:

I also have a demo up right now. However, It does not have anything I've done in the past 2 weeks(which was alot). Oh well, Report any bugs or problems/issues.(Contains 1 level, and 1 challenge level)

Demo: http://www.mfgg.net/?act=resdb&param=02&c=2&id=14661

Major credit to xgoff, blue frenzy and damizean for various troubles.

And if anyone knows how to record videos at high quality please tell me. It seems everything youtube converts the file to .flv the quality drops and becomes horrible(grainy, choppy)

This is my first time hearing about this game at all. It's damned amazing- so professional and well put together. The music and level design are top-notch. And I like the tricks and combos. I'll definitely be watching this.

You should be able to edit your first post in this thread and change the thread title from there.

your video has been removed by you =S

but edit your first post, if you change the box at the top, that should work

Oh yeah, I uploaded another one hoping for better quality, but it seems everytime youtube converts it to .flv, the quality just drops. Oh well, this is like my 10th attempt. :/

This is my first time hearing about this game at all. It's damned amazing- so professional and well put together. The music and level design are top-notch. And I like the tricks and combos. I'll definitely be watching this.

You should be able to edit your first post in this thread and change the thread title from there.

Thanks. although as I say, the demo is maybe 2-3 weeks old, so it doesn't have any of the recent additions. I would update it, but there are still many things that need to be done, or I should say unstable

• 4 weeks later...

I love that he calls him a "lazy ass toilet plunger." xD

One problem I noticed is that sometimes if you get injured while in the corner, you'll get stuck there for a bit. I kind of wish the camera moved up a bit when you jumped while fighting the boss, just so that you can see where you are while combo-ing a bit better. The idea of making the screen shake when the cannonballs start up is good, but I think it can be toned down a bit. I also think it'd be best to spawn the "combo hit" text in a recurring spot, rather than Mario's spot at the time. In the center, or at the top of screen or something. In slightly unrelated news, it should be "this is all a part of my partner's plan" as opposed to "apart." Lol, not exactly a bug, but it helps, eh? :P

Fun overall. This is the game I'm looking forward to most at the moment. What's the screen resolution? It's like.. perfect.