A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Mario Roots

kirbyhi5

• 3 weeks later...

October 5th , 2008: Devil Boss Battle

NEWS: Well although the past few weeks I haven't worked on this at all really(been busy), I did however managed to create a rough idea for the boss battle. Now I all I need to do is a 3 week polish(ncfc). Anyway enough of that, I have a video of the boss battle.

VIDEO: http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=B6dGw1UutRE

Seems pretty easy right now because all his attacks just do 1 damage, but that'll change. And yes I do realize the BG's are highly MMized, but I felt they fit quit nicely in a mecha-type level. PM usually do have 3d BGs though. Anyway I probably just need to spice the effects up and some of the moves and I think it's a go.

Guest Shadix

Dude, this game continues to impress me. You seem to have a really really solid workflow, as well as a keen ability to mix and mesh stuff together in a logical manner.

I can't wait for the next release haha. That Devil Mario is freaking awesome.

Wow, I've never seen Mario be so... dark before. O_O

I have an idea: if you wanted to make Devil Mario sound more devilish... remember Mario 64? There were those times when you'd hit the lava, and Mario would shoot up into the air, howling in pain ("HahahahahaHAA!"). You should use that sound byte whenever Mario uses that multiple energy ball attack. Think how creepy that would sound.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep. I'm surprised someone caught that. It works exactly like gravity beetle's move. In the video though, I hadn't made it so it effects the gravity, but that's already been added in. There's another move which works like colonel from MMX4, but that can depend because it's a basic boss move. I'm trying not to overdo the ai just yet, since I want to save the more better ideas until later. And since I bumped this,

NEWS Quests/Hub worlds/ Lvl. Up distribution additions

Previously when you level up, you just got a set of pre-determined stats. However, to add some variety and challenge, you no longer get pre stats. You now get "level up points". These allow you to increase your hp/fp/dp or ap individually.

34-1.png

However, it takes more Lvl. points to increase your AP/DP than it would your HP/FP. This is so people don't cram all the lvl.up points into AP and overpower themselves. You can still technically only boost AP, but you'll just be screwing yourself over later in the game. You still get a miniscule stat increase for leveling up though, despite lvl up points.

basic example to screwing self over:

you put all the lvl.up points into AP only. You end up having like +30 AP.

However, your HP/DP and FP are most likely extremely low.

When regular enemies start hitting for +40 damage, and you only have 20 hp..well, yeah good luck on dodging every move for the rest of game.

QUESTS

Usually in the hub worlds, there are various quests. However, the reward greatly depends. Some can even unlock new stages. Here is a small example.

qw27.png

You begin by talking an NPC. This guy needs help, so he asks for your help to find a butterfly.

qw2.png

You can get clues from other NPC's in the area on where the quest item/info is.

qw278.png

The toad kid eventually says he see's something above his head, so lets push the rock near this area to see what's above him.

qw.png

Swinging vines it seems it was, and yeah you get the picture.

Once you have the quest item, go back and talk to the him and he'll reward you.

qw2785.png

That's about it for now. NCFC is in 3 days(Which was my original public release date anyway), so look forward to that. When NCFC is over, I can finally start the equipment system hopefully. Equipment will be probably divided into something simple, maybe Headgear, Body, and Shoes each with different properties as far as stats go.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

December 24, 2008

NEWS: Christmas is soon, and good thing I just recently finished my boss battle.(Took 4 days to do). Finally I can take a break feeling satisfied it is complete.

PREQUEL: After an extensive chase through the mountains of Wind Prairie, Mario finally corners General Guy…Or so he thinks. Turns out it was General Guy who was playing the tricks by leading Mario right into his Base! Now Mario must defeat him to find out what the secrets are of the “Organization”(They actually aren't evil at all. It's more of what your perspective is on what is good and bad).

Of course, I have a video of such an event. (Please note that I realized after I recorded the video that the pause menu was in equipment system testing mode, therefore none of the items worked.)

GeneralGuy:Boss Battle

1234-1.png

And that closes Chapter 1.

On to Chapter 2-1, Tranquil Forest.

(I'm still on the look out for spriters. However if I do not find any within maybe a week I'll just go without doing appearance changes.

Yep. However, of course the shy guys aren't trying to help Mario. They throw mushrooms hoping that it lands on General Guy.(If it does, it will heal him worth +50 HP, and vice-versa with with Mario). But in the video they are destroyed soon as it touches the ground, which I need to change. I'm probably going to randomize when it drops them too to prevent the player from knowing where it comes from.(although they drop bombs too)

• 4 months later...

May 17th, 2009

NEWS: It's been months since I've updated. However, I have actively been working on this the entire time.(although finals/projects have kept me busy aswell. Anyway today I'll be showing you a new level with some neat little gimmicks you may or may not remember.

Video

Lonely Forest

Mario & friends exploring the lonely forest.

Man, I thought you left us! This project is looking great. Are you thinking about SAGE this year?

Yep. Yeah I couldn't post updates because I didn't finish any levels. I decided to completely re-do the engine to make it more global and generally more efficent. Hopefully everything will be ironed out by SAGE. I also switched to HWA, so now there shouldn't be any speed issues.(Although there never really was any before)

Looks good, but is the combo system working as it should? You got 'Kickass' for killing that flying thing near the cannon, but 'sweet' for chaining kills on all those green bastards?

You get a certain amount of "points" for doing actions.(getting coins, jumping off springs, etc. In the video, I got a blue coin, which is worth a good amount. Probably needs to be lowered though.) The points stack for a small duration which = your score. However, I forgot to set the amount of points you get for killing enemies. Good thing you caught that. Upsets me that there's tons of work that needs to be done before I can even think of releasing another demonstration.

Dude it's looking great. I think the only reason I didn't play it last year was because of my old laptop, but if you release a new demo this SAGE I can probably try to get on a faster computer for the day to try things out. =]

Upsets me that there's tons of work that needs to be done before I can even think of releasing another demonstration.

Intensive playtesting is your friend. And don't worry about taking too much time, given the fact that this is a fangame and that you are doing it solo, you're making good progress quality and content-wise. I remember liking last year's demo, and I see a lot of improvements in this one.

Looking good, I just didn't like that fairy.. But that's a really small complain, anyway.

You get a certain amount of "points" for doing actions.(getting coins, jumping off springs, etc. In the video, I got a blue coin, which is worth a good amount. Probably needs to be lowered though.) The points stack for a small duration which = your score. However, I forgot to set the amount of points you get for killing enemies. Good thing you caught that. Upsets me that there's tons of work that needs to be done before I can even think of releasing another demonstration.

That score would be better if it were only valid for points that you get from enemies. That because if you get a lot of coins in an area full of them, "kickass" would be pretty weird.