A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Blitz: The Thread [Some Words, 06-09-08]

Sockman

Hey, that was pretty good. I liked the level design, you have some great concepts in there...

though I would have done a bit more with the logs though... Like have it so if you stand on them before the water raises you were able to access somewhere else (otherwise you go up the normal way and do a dash jump to the logs...)

Also, thank you for being one of the few to allow me to stretch the game window size from barely visible to visible...

If you notice there are some logs lying around on the ground before you reach the flooded area.

When you backtrack, you'll find that the logs are now floating.

It's nothing now, but I plan on utilizing this as a way to find some game secrets and such.

its a bit confusing how some of the background logs are the same tone/shade as the foreground logs, i'll try and get a screen cap for you, but it can be slightly confusing

Hmmm...that's a good point actually.

I *should* probably go and reshade some of that.

A minor, but fairly awesome update, guys.

NEW ITEM: Eggman

eggmanboxtf0.png

Looks pretty familiar to me...

Okay, so the Eggman box isn't exactly new. Hitting it would get you hurt, which was especially nasty when you had no rings. It's been an item loathed and feared throughout the franchise.

Until now!

eggmanboxgetnw3.png

Here it goes...

eggmanshootsw4.png

BWAHAHAHA! Eggman appears and goes on a shooting rampage!

eggmanfollowwh8.png

He'll follow you around for a bit and provide cover fire.

By default, your session with the good doctor will be about ten seconds. However, you gain an extra second whenever Eggman kills an enemy. So the more he kills, the longer he stays (except when there's water involved, his Eggmobile isn't waterproof).

You'll notice that I still have some work to do on his movement behaviors...his movement comes off as a bit jerky to me. Also, a more showy entry would be nice. It doesn't have the same impact with him just popping out of mid air and laughing.

Also, it's obvious that Wild Wood Zone Act 2 is still under construction, with the random chunks of background floating about and some leftover areas from Act 1.

Enjoy.

• Like 1

Ehh.. looks like it'd make things too easy, I think.

You'd be right if he followed you around for the rest of the level, but that'd only happen if there were huge badnick clusterfucks located throughout.

The chances of there being an encounter with that many badnicks outside of some of my test sessions (such as in the video) will be slim.

Think of it as an Eggman Assist Trophy, if you will.

I like the Eggman idea, but I would change the bullet speed and size. Just me though, but other than that, it's a nice touch, which is fresh. I liketh,

-Amesuki

I'll probably end up doing that, but for now I'm focusing on the issue of movement.

I'm thinking of making Eggman's movements based on Sonic's speed and angle variables instead of the crappy Ball (Sucking) movement that its currently using.

• Like 2

Ball (Sucking) movement

hehe =P

Sockman, your game is amazing indeed. It took quite some time to view the video(stupid dial-up connection!), but it was worth watching.

And the Eggman box idea sounds great. Repped.

Spike:

Damn! With speed and accuracy like that, how hasn't he killed Sonic before?

Maybe he practiced just recently, for this fangame :D

Maybe he practiced just recently, for this fangame :D

Actually, now that Eggman is fighting for the "good guys" his bullets are guided by the power of Jesus...or something....

I'm trying to think of a good plot excuse for Eggman to suddenly become competent.

Any ideas?

Actually, now that Eggman is fighting for the "good guys" his bullets are guided by the power of Jesus...or something....

I'm trying to think of a good plot excuse for Eggman to suddenly become competent.

Any ideas?

Combat-wise or intelligence-wise?

For combat, maybe he continued his research on Emerl. For intelligence, he could have dug into his grandfathers research or something.

Dr. Eggman wants the world for himself, and since shadow has taken over, he's pissed, he now joins Sonic on a temporary truce every now and then to insure victory, so that when shadow is defeated, Eggman can reclaim his right to (try and) take over the world again.

This world ain't big enough for the two of us.

Dr. Eggman wants the world for himself, and since shadow has taken over, he's pissed, he now joins Sonic on a temporary truce every now and then to insure victory, so that when shadow is defeated, Eggman can reclaim his right to (try and) take over the world again.

This world ain't big enough for the two of us.

That's already established, but people were wondering how the hell is aim got so good.

• 4 months later...

Haven't posted about this in awhile.

Basically, development came to a screeching halt a month ago when I realized that I had started working on the game before giving the engine proper polish and organization. There was alot that I found myself changing while working on a level, which forced me to go back and make those same changes to the levels before hand.

So, the Sonic Blitz you've seen here so far is, for lack of a better word, dead. This does not mean the project is cancelled, it simply means that I am reworking the engine and better organizing my development process.

In addition, I am installing MMF2, and transferring all of my work, onto the laptop I have received as a graduation gift.

Once I have things in order on this new system, I will update all y'all on the things that will be changing (as well as the things that are staying the same).