A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Rush Advance

Ayling

I played your demo. It looks like SW engine doesn't fit for advance-styled game. I hope you'll fix it because your game looks like a megadrive game that has a sonic advance "skin"

Other than that I like it.

I'd say thats a good thing... what with Sonic Advance being complete and utter ass when it comes to physics.

Actually advance physics is very well made. I didn't see any fault in it.

I mean that sonic worlds physics is better for "adventure" games where you must explore the level and sometimes (very rarely) run fast. And advance phusics is better for "speed" game, where you run, doing tricks and sometimes explore.

If he really wants to make a game with Sonic Rush soul he should use advance physics.

As for rush physics I agree. It is VERY stupid. I don't know what did programmers think about while they were doing it.

Any Advance game beyond 1 simply had ass for physics. I'm sorry. Thats just a fact.

Seriously, falling through floors at breakneck speeds just isn't my thing.

Besides, it isn't the engine that keeps the player from feeling fast... its presentation. All Advance had going for it in that department was a tiny screen that made the speed seem faster since you couldn't see more than a couple inches in front of you and a bunch of funky after image effects with no gimmicks that give you any time to actually appreciate what they do.

"Wall jumping is horrible for Sonic games, and makes most gimmicks useless. Gimmicks > wall jumping"

This is kind of.. okay, it's actually extremely late but I really disagree with it so I'm going to state why. It's not completely useless. Like anything it can work if done well. You could probably whip up some pretty unique stuff in conjunction with other gimmicks. Don't be so closed to ideas that you limit yourself. Try creating a gigantic boss in which a segment of the "routine" involves wall jumping up platforms to reach higher parts of the boss. Try placing pulleys or swinging vines just out of Sonic's reach, but accessible by the higher height gained from a singular wall jump. Just.. I don't think it's a completely useless ability if used properly is all. Same with grinding. Granted, most of the time it is used poorly, but that's life.

Sonic Worlds keeps interesting me more and more. Hmm.. screens look interesting and I'm liking everyones comments about your game being like a genesis game with an advance skin. Sounds pretty sweet. Keep up the good work.

that sonic worlds physics is better for "adventure" games where you must explore the level and sometimes (very rarely) run fast.

I've experienced otherwise.

If you fudge around with a few of the movement variables, you can get a perfectly speedy Advanced-esque engine out of Worlds.

Provided, there are some limitations. Curve and loop movements can get pretty screwy at high speeds, and many gimmicks that others have made aren't designed for such high speeds either. (When I increased the speed, Sonic would randomly fall through the GHZ bridge object.)

But as DW said, Sonic Advanced 2 also took advantage of presentation to increase the sense of speed.

The key is knowing how to use both techniques in a certain balance depending on the style of game you're going for.

Seriously, falling through floors at breakneck speeds just isn't my thing.

Really? Actually it didn't happen to me even once...

But it doesn't really matter. Have you played Sonic Fusion? I mean my second demo. I don't have tiny screen or breakneck speeds or annoying press-right-button, but it has speed feeling, isn't it? (I mean Sonic's first level and second a bit)

That's because of fast situation changing that makes people react quickly but not so quickly not to reach to react. (I hope I said right)

It had speed, but the enemies in the speed sections ruined it. Unless you rolled the whole time, you could only go breakneck for so long before you got hit.

Old engine. :P

Here's what I'm doing-

First, finishing Blaze & editing/adding stuff to the engine.

Second, I'm spriting levels.

3rd, I'm designing levels.

4th, Design any cutscenes necessary.

That being said, gimmick ideas would be nice. Creativity is good, and rep will be given. Ideas?

EDIT- Should I give abilities? If so, what to who?

THe middle one worked. I like it. Rep up for help.

Gimmick Ideas? Come on, any type of zone.

Swingy poles?

You run into one and swing around at it, and depending on when you let go you will either keep going in the same direction or go back the way you came.

It's a good way to change direction quickly without losing speed.

*points to avatar*

You should store his speed upon collision with the pole, and when the animation of him spinning is done you can set his speed back to that. So if you collide with it while moving slowly, when you swing off you're still moving slowly, and if you collide with it at top speed you'll still be at top speed when you swing off.

Tell me if that makes no sense.

You should store his speed upon collision with the pole, and when the animation of him spinning is done you can set his speed back to that. So if you collide with it while moving slowly, when you swing off you're still moving slowly, and if you collide with it at top speed you'll still be at top speed when you swing off.

Tell me if that makes no sense.

Funny you should mention that, because that's exactly what I did.

I also adjusted the speed of the spinning animation based on that stored speed variable.