A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic the hedgehog - Super dash

dark team

I wanted to post the newest demo here but I've changed my mind because I haven't finished the new demo. So I bring you currently the latest demo of this game. This demo contains:

- Spindash

- Basic movement

- Jumping

- Ring loss

- Double attack

- Light dash

- Rolling

- One type of badnik

- Basic hurt system

- Crouching

- Looking up

- Boss battle

- And ring collecting

The controls are:

Arrow keys to move, crouch and look up

Space is to jump

CTRL is to perform light dash (hold it while you're near rings)

I'll won't tell you the story yet. But you'll hear it in the new demo. I know this game sucks, but this is the old engine the new one is almost finished with smooth movement and slopes. Here's some screenshots of the current demo:

screen1bc9.png

screen2yx5.png

screen3tj0.png

screen4ue6.png

Here's the link:

Current demo

If somebody would want to know the history of this game here's the older versions:

v0.85

v0.8

v0.75

v0.7 zip

v0.65

v0.6

v0.55

v0.51

v0.5

v0.46

v0.45

v0.4

v0.3

v0.2

v0.1 zip

And here's the oldest versions of the first engine of this game:

v0.3

v0.2

v0.1

Videos

http://youtube.com/watch?v=duC63Q70Vbg (New!)

New engine test (Old)

P.S. Don't take it very harsh I've started learning how to make a platformer this July.

P.S.S. The engine is completly custom.

P.S.S.S. Sorry for my bad English :)

Not bad, it seems very stable, just a few problems:

*Decel is WAY out of whack, like wow, I can barely brake, very dangerous when going to top speed, fix that.

*Spin dash is TOO powerful, just one rev and it will send me at high speeds. O-o

*Ring loss is buggy, kinda, the rings just jump up and down, not in a bouncing motion like it should.

*I fly really far when I'm hit by a baddie, I should fly in the opposite direction. Try fixing that.

*When blinking from being hit by a baddie, if I'm not touching the ground, the hit animation will start. >_>

*When looking up and down, you should set a waiting period before the camera slides into position.

*I skid almost instantly when turning around, but I didn't even gain any momentum yet, it's just an instant skid, might want to fix that.

*Try adding a paralax.

*The level design is too linear, no multiple paths or anything, and that bottomless pit with the platform jumping?

Try looking at some level maps to get the concept of a Sonic level.

I might want to add (again) that because of the decel issue, it's very hard to complete this stage, I can't stop in time to avoid falling off platforms, thus me falling into a bottomless pit. I'd fix that.

That's it so far, I'll play more of this later. Not bad for a beginner, just fix those things I've mentioned above and you should be set.

Those things are fixed in the new engine. The level design is poor - True this was supposed to be a test level to test the movement and all. And for the spindash I wanted to make the charging to look like in the original game. Oh and if somebody noticed the walking sprite going weird its because of animation system it draws with some pixel errors.

NEVER change the user's resolution without asking.

Other than that, a real nice and solid engine for something made from scratch. A little advice, and I'll probably sound like a hypocrite considering my early work, but faster != better. Sure, you can make an engine that runs great at 40 pixel per frame, going 60 FPS, but can your player play it?

The most popular FPS in 2D games is usually 60 (30 and 50 being other widely-used ones), and in general people's monitor refresh rate aren't usually much higher than 60 so it's pointless to have, say, 100 FPS. But I think most of the classic Sonics (except Chaotix and maybe CD) worked in 60 FPS.

Your English is fine. You type better than a lot of native English speakers we've seen here.

The new engine test looks good. I think you need to set some max speed for Sonic though - for a genesis game, you really don't need to go above 15 or 20 for speed shoes. In your previous demo, I kept flying off the level because Sonic moved too fast and the deceleration wasn't high enough.

Apart from that, it looks like a good engine though. Add some gimmicks and you're ready to design levels!

Looking forward to the next demo.

As somebody noticed in the first post that I added a version archive. So if anybody likes the history of evolving games take a look in the archive. In other news there are many new updates so I think that I'll post a new testing video:

- Added double attack into the new engine

- Added slopes

- Made the collisions more smoother

- Fixed the ring loss(I'll release here an exe with the ring loss so you could tell me if there is still something wrong with it)

- Improved badniks A.I

- Added parallax(still making the finishing touches)

- And invincibility

Hope this post still doesn't break the rules. They should put a forum with all the rules and more clearier rule about the bumping.