A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Nexus [Final 2007 Demo]

Slingerland

You see, thats really the fundamental difference. We are a lot faster at getting stuff done. Engines don't normally take years to make.

The reality of the situation is that you have delayed yourself in much the same way. You are going to have to migrate lots of art assets and then adapt to an engine which you didn't create. You'll have to reprogram every boss, enemy, and special effect you ever created. We'll have our toolsets up and running within a few months and to be quite blunt, we don't take the majority of a year to make a single zone.

Maybe I'm coming off as a little mean sounding.

But you know, I find it a little more than just plain dickish for when everyone working on this project has nothing but support for your own engine change and then when we announce that we are similarly going to change engines due to efficiency, the first thing you do is start nagging on us for the exact same shit you were scoffing at people for in your topic.

You see, thats really the fundamental difference. We are a lot faster at getting stuff done. Engines don't normally take years to make.

The reality of the situation is that you have delayed yourself in much the same way. You are going to have to migrate lots of art assets and then adapt to an engine which you didn't create. You'll have to reprogram every boss, enemy, and special effect you ever created. We'll have our toolsets up and running within a few months and to be quite blunt, we don't take the majority of a year to make a single zone.

But you know, I find it a little more than just plain dickish for when everyone working on this project has nothing but support for your own engine change and then when we announce that we are similarly going to change engines due to efficiency, the first thing you do is start nagging on us for the exact same shit you were scoffing at people for in your topic.

Hey man, chill out... I've never said anything against your project (infact, I gave Damizean the source code to my RSDK upon request to help him) so I don't think it's fair to bag out my programming skills. You'll have the editor up and running in a few months sure, but will you have a graphical engine, gameplay, object scripting and the likes done too? Maybe if you're using pre-existing libs... but that doesn't give you the right to claim what i've worked on has been inefficient.

EDIT: Also I'm the lead programmer of Retro-Sonic XG, adapting XG's assets is my department so there's no worries there. When I offered the merge, we discussed any issues with migration, it's all in motion now.

I don't think Euan meant that question as an attack at Nexus, it's just all this hot air that's been going around post SAGE lately... it's a legitimate question, for both our projects. I can say in our case progress has accelerated, and hopefully yours will also kick MMF2 into the dirt. It's great to see the engine Dami has been planning for ages put to good use, hopefully the final stage of evolution for the Sonic Worlds Engine :)

A year to make 1 level DW? No. I've been working on the whole game, if we had to I could make ALL the levels with the tiles I have now, thats how much stuff I have made, a games worth of graphics. We don't have loads of bosses to reprogram cos only 2 of them are programmed (though all have their graphics ready).

Also, we have worked on the presentation, look at the title screen/menu and all that stuff you make it sound like ALL nitemare and I did was work on 1 level, which is ballz.

Seriously though, I don't wanna derail anothe thread with our silly squabbles =S I didn't mean to cause a row, sowee. I was just kinda worried cos in of all the engine remakes these days it seems games never get made anymore, only betas. And while it's not always a bad thing that games dont get finished, Nexus is one of the games I'd like to see get made.

Sorry if I came across as "dickish" I only meant to show interest and be a little nosey too =)

Jesus, DW. Everyone is getting sick of you being so damn defensive over Nexus. You're ruining every fangaming topic on the forum.

Actually, even in the new demo, I can't beat it either... Maybe it's just because it's the 6th zone, but I'm surely going to have to build up some continues beforehand.

And hey, I agree with DW on this occasion, I'm just sick of the constant ranting. Can't we just have fun and ignore the bashers?

Comments and Bugs:

1. The starfish spinning attack doesn't look very good and it's annoying at the point where you have to take the bubble to go outside if it manages to get near it.

2. The snail enemy face looks like it doesn't fit in a sonic game imo.

3. Most of level design was ok but in the point you get the water shield, if you lose it then you're done for. The level isn't too friendly to the player if he loses the shield.

4. At the start, you don't have to put all the credits there, it kind of ruins the presentation. You can add them at e.g. the opening. and if you keep them add a way to skip them.

5.The main title screen needs a little more animation, logo-wise.

6.BUG? Sometimes after I viewed the controls the game froze for a bit and had to wait a lot for it to unfreeze.

Now.. carry-on please...

Comments and Bugs:

1. The starfish spinning attack doesn't look very good and it's annoying at the point where you have to take the bubble to go outside if it manages to get near it.

2. The snail enemy face looks like it doesn't fit in a sonic game imo.

3. Most of level design was ok but in the point you get the water shield, if you lose it then you're done for. The level isn't too friendly to the player if he loses the shield.

4. At the start, you don't have to put all the credits there, it kind of ruins the presentation. You can add them at e.g. the opening. and if you keep them add a way to skip them.

5.The main title screen needs a little more animation, logo-wise.

6.BUG? Sometimes after I viewed the controls the game froze for a bit and had to wait a lot for it to unfreeze.

Now.. carry-on please...

Oh hi, where's your game? Yeah...

All of those comments are pretty trivial. Especially #6. #6 is called "loading."

For #3, if you lose it so quickly and can't finish the level, you obviously don't know about the air bubbles placed everywhere around the area.

The fact that some of you complain about difficulty astounds me. It's the 6th zone and who doesn't like a challenge? I think I've made it where the game is genuinely difficult and not "annoying/buggy" difficult.

--------------------

On a side note after reading the last page, I have come up with a new slogan for this project:

Sonic Nexus - Its Threads Start Fights

>:E

The fact that some of you complain about difficulty astounds me. It's the 6th zone and who doesn't like a challenge? I think I've made it where the game is genuinely difficult and not "annoying/buggy"

I'm not saying this is my view on Nexus, but I've totally noticed that:

No-one gives a shit. Never do. It's like when people post " OMG HOW DO I SPINDASH " but it's actually in the readme.

No-one is going to think this the 6th Zone either, because everyone is so used to seeing Green Hill Zone Act 3*Pi Dong Chillwilly. They're mostly thinking " OMG NEXUS HAS WATAH LVL FIRST GHEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY "

Oh hi, where's your game? Yeah...

I'd rather you not turn this forum in to a "YOU AREN'T MAKING A GAME SO YOU AREN'T ALLOWED TO HAVE AN OPINION ON THE GAME I AM MAKING." contest.

90% of the Gaming Journalism industry doesn't make games but they sure as hell get paid to write about them. Learn to take an understand criticism but don't be a dick about it - it really harms your personal image if you're always out there going, "NO YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT NOT LIKING MY DEMO, YOU SHOULD LIKE IT BECAUSE YOUR COMPLAINTS AREN'T VALID!"

Some people can be idiots, I'll give you that; but do you honestly think you're going to garner good-will toward your game if you're constantly insulting people for "not getting it"?

• Like 1

Look at those 6 comments. Snail's face? Starfish animation not cool? Dependence on the water shield or die? Black screen in between levels? These are the most trivial remarks I have seen to date.

I understand what you're saying, but...whatever, I should have just ignored the post in general and let it fall on blind eyes.

Yeah, I'm sorry for being defensive... I'm just way edgey right now from all of whats going on. We weren't even really supposed to talk about this until we had something more tangible (at least a working level editor), and I believe this was pretty much the reason for that.

@Rael: I've played this level well over a hundred times now. You don't ever once need the bubble shield to progress.

*It should be noted that the following allow you to breathe normally even while under water:

Being in a bubbleshield

Being in a bubble lift

Being in a transport tube

EDIT:

Oh, as for the Snail's face, thats funny, because it came from a Sonic game.

Wow, there's no need to be offensive there. I just took the time, played and commented on the game. Don't put me in the same boat as others.

All of those comments are pretty trivial. Especially #6. #6 is called "loading."

Then it needs some loading screen or message.

For #3, if you lose it so quickly and can't finish the level, you obviously don't know about the air bubbles placed everywhere around the area.

After I had to climb on 2 batches of circular moving platforms and the air counting "2"

The fact that some of you complain about difficulty astounds me. It's the 6th zone and who doesn't like a challenge? I think I've made it where the game is genuinely difficult and not "annoying/buggy" difficult.

I thought demos were meant to show initial stages to get a taste. Well my bad here.

Snail's face?

Yeah it looks dumb. I am going to comment on the game means I am not only comment on the engine.

Can't do a loading screen because it was MMF. In any event, its still an irrelevant complaint because we won't be using this engine in the future and in the final, you won't be able to change controls during gameplay.

About those circular platforms... there is an airbubble below them.

And personally, I don't think you get a taste for the game playing only its easiest stage. I know Seaside Hill wasn't painting the real picture of Sonic Heroes at all for instance.

And again, the snail's face comes from a Sonic game. One of the old ones.

And again, the snail's face comes from a Sonic game. One of the old ones.

Awfully scary XD

Btw: When you take up the bubble to the right-up to the surface as long as I try to touch the next checkpoint I fall in the floor and get back down. Is there a way to go up from there?

And the boss is ok, but after the 1st one, it gets really harder especially if you have no rings, so a supply is needed after the 1st boss. Also one comment: Something needs to get freed from enemies when you destroy them. Animals or flowers.

The second boss is painfully easy once you've figured it out. Just watch the flames from the plane, when you know its safe to run through, go through and hit the boss, then once you've hit him once (or twice if you are really daring), let yourself go off to the left. You won't have any trouble beating him that way. Now, if you are really skilled at it, you won't even need to drop off more than once or twice, but in the meantime, just do it the slow way like Metropolis Zone.

I'm not quite sure about the bubble lift you are referring to. As far as I know, the only way you progress with any of the bubble lifts is to the right.

EDIT: Unless you mean that ramp area to the right of the first bubble lift if you skip the spring, in which case I suggest you use a spindash on the ramp and then jump just before the ramp ends so that you'll end up in the little hole and continue.

I wholeheartedly agree with you there. Slinger' date=' could you maybe clean up this topic or something?[/quote']

OK. I got one. For the past year, my Nexus threads always turn into an argument, and I don't even start the shit. So, let's try this one:

Anybody else who wants to argue endlessly in one of my Nexus threads gets a 2 day ban.

No joke. That includes my own team members.

When you take up the bubble to the right-up to the surface as long as I try to touch the next checkpoint I fall in the floor and get back down. Is there a way to go up from there?

I know what you're talking about. There's some sort of bug in the floor there that I could never fix. I stopped working on it eventually, because ya know...the whole "we're leaving this engine" thing. :3