A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Nexus [Final 2007 Demo]

Slingerland

Sonic Nexus - 2007 Demo

NexusTitle.png

Download it in the "Demo" section on the Sonic Nexus website. A few notes about the demo:

* Act 1 is complete, lag-free, and many bugs have been ironed out.

* Act 2 is a "work in progress" with many bugs and would take more work to complete. Therefore, in light of recent developments, act 2 has been cut from the SSA Demo

* Act 3 has been extended to more that just a "boss arena." It has become a mini-act, akin to Sonic CD.

* MORE SCREENSHOTS HAVE BEEN ADDED TO THE "ZONES" SECTION! Many are prototypes or "limted" screens to kep many of the designs a secret. Surprises are fun.

"Recent Developments," as mentioned above, means a move away from Multimedia Fusion and click products in general has been put into action. Since we will no longer be in MMF2 anymore, optimizing and bug fixing act 2 is unnecessary work. However, I wanted to release something better for the Sonic Site Awards and for anybody who had a bitter experience at SAGE.

Yes, that's right. I went ahead and made everybody a better demo, even though MMF2 will be getting the boot. I took everything I knew was wrong, as well as what you bitched about, and went to work. I also updated the screenshot page in full (minus the last 2 zones).

BUG FIXES/IMPROVEMENTS:

*Better air bubble system

*Upped presentation

*Homing starfish has been gimped. If you can't avoid him now, you suck.

*Less badniks in the level

*Level end music fixed

*ACT 3 is now a mini-zone, a la Sonic CD.

*Euan's Sonic CD font has been removed from the level end cards, so that the font remains exclusive to XG.

*INSTRUCTIONS ON WHAT THE FUCK TO DO

*Water effects toned down to be less dizzying.

*NEW GIMMICK: Pipe Hyper Charger

*Brand new door gimmick graphic

*WORKING CHECKPOINTS

KNOWN BUGS:

*When going up the first bubble lift, you can fall through the floor on the middle path.

*One of the checkpoints (before the second bubble lift), doesn't work.

*Sonic 3 air bubble animation plays. Get over it. :/

Sadly, the bubble shield still doesn't bounce. Oh well.

Enjoy yourselves! Please give it a play and a vote in the Sonic Site Awards! Hell, don't just vote for Nexus, our community has been nominated as well!

Vote vote vote!

PS. (You can complain if you want, but a new engine is in the works, so what you post doesn't mean a whole lot. If you need your daily bitch fit, by all means, go right ahead.)

I forgot to post this:

KNOWN BUGS:

*When going up the first bubble lift, you can fall through the floor on the middle path.

*One of the checkpoints (before the second bubble lift), doesn't work.

*Sonic 3 air bubble animation plays. Get over it. :/

Zenor: the second act is the 3rd act. It's a mini-act like Sonic CD. Act 2 was cut for this particular demo.

......>_>;

Anyways, Great improvements on this, Slinger. I couldn't find any bugs besides the repeating sound of one of the checkpoints, even when it's activated, if I touch it again, it plays the activation sound.

But that's it. Good work.

Nexus was much better recieved by myself this time around. The level wasn't a giant maze to me, the enemies weren't ganging up on me like darkies on Paris Hilton, and I was able to keep my water shield for a reasonable enough amount of time in which I could safely navigate through the level. The physics seem slightly better as well, and I was able to kill the boss this time on one life without any issues.

The underwater physics are still a bit wonky, but they were consistent enough for me to be able to manage well underwater. Plus, using the spindash+jump combo was a good way for me to gain speed easily enough to make it through the water quickly.

All in all, I'd say things are definitely getting better - even moreso if you intend to program the engine in C++ or something similar (maybe you should try the Retro Sonic engine out for size?). Keep up the good work!

On another note, your title screen music clips all to shit. I suggest re-rendering it with a lower volume level to avoid this.

The general appearance(windowed) and performance is like that of a MMF2 game though, so I would lean toward the idea that they aren't using C++. Not saying C++ is really "all-stop for the best thing ever", XNA is FANTASTIC and uses C#(I highly recommend that to everyone now actually). But there's definately noticable differences in speed and performance when one uses C++ over a gamemaking program.

Yes. We are using C++.

Since everything else is already well known anyway, I'm going to just say it like it is.

Dami is currently working on a tile-based level editor using a RAD app geared towards making standard Windows GUI programs. I'm learning said app right now and will mostly be working on smaller features of the level editor.

Together (possibly with help from Hunter and a couple other people), we are going to create a C++ engine which then uses the level data from external files. This engine will become the foundation for Sonic Nexus, which will more or less be the poster project of the engine in addition to the primary focus of the engine.

Once we are to a suitable point where the level editor is acceptable and Nexus is fairly close to ready, we'll release the tool suite publicly.

Its essentially the successor to the Sonic Worlds engine, but suffice to say, it will be able to do a good few other things as well, which we will probably showcase within Nexus.

Isn't moving XG over to a new engine going to seriously delay progress?

First off, no. Secondly, what does XG have to do with Nexus' future? What Euan does with Sonic XG (or rather, Retro Sonic XG) has nothing to do with this topic. I don't appreciate seeing subtle stabs as some sort of substitute for actual reasoning.

So, I'll repeat the question: Isn't making a whole new engine gonna seriously delay progress?

The answer is, of course, yes.

Actually, the answer is no. There isn't one person working on this project who doesn't work at least four times more quickly in code than in MMF's bullshit event script, we'll have superior access to debugging abilities, and generally a better environment to work within. The initial investment will indeed require a good bit of time, but that investment will pay off in many more ways than just performance.

What does XG have to do with this topic? Nothing more than what it has to do with that question. Moving XG to the retro-engine delays that project in the exact same ways that this delays us.

You think I was making a subtle stab? No, I was just pointing out the obvious. There was nothing subtle there.

Isn't moving XG over to a new engine going to seriously delay progress?

Isn't comparing two situations that are different as if they were the same a bit silly?

The engine we're moving too is like, already there. (GRANTED maybe not 100%, but hey, years of development too)

=P