A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Paper Sonic (Demo)

ElChibo

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yo ElChibo. While the concept seems cool, you really need to improve the graphics. Using the Paper Mario style isn't a good excuse to backup poor graphics. As I was bored, I made some sprites for you (or anyone else) to use; I think this is how it should look like:

d2ae210e0f.gif

wow that sprite is so awesome damizean! and running into you here i can personally thank you for your sonic 360 engine used in paper sonic lol. as great of a sprite that is though, it looses a lot of the aspects of the paper style i was going for such as the eyes and what not, but still holds true in other aspects such as no legs. im gonna clean up the graphics for paper sonic in the future, but basically keep it the same. iv already had a bunch of ideas for a sequel (pretty much the evolution of sonic to sonic 3&knux, more characters, bigger levels, more details graphics, and so on...), and this is somehting i would love to use for that game. of course i wouldnt start making that game until sometime in 08 when paper sonic is done, but thanks for the suggestion!

If you really want to make it like Paper Mario, you should pre-render your graphics in a 3D program. Its very easy to set it up since your Sonic is basically just 5 polygons to rotate. I'll consider helping you set up an environment to do 3D animation with it when I get home.

If you'd like to prerender stuff in blender using those sprites, AIM me sometime.

If you really want to make it like Paper Mario, you should pre-render your graphics in a 3D program. Its very easy to set it up since your Sonic is basically just 5 polygons to rotate. I'll consider helping you set up an environment to do 3D animation with it when I get home.

If you'd like to prerender stuff in blender using those sprites, AIM me sometime.

as i appreciate the help, im sure that if we put in some 3d stuff, it would hurt programming a lot, as me or my friend dont have a lot of experience with 3d in game maker, and would probably over complicate a lot. i mean il clean up the sprites eventually, but even still I think its a great attempt at a first fan game.

the sprite dami showed you was pretty awesome... but you should probably do that for the sequel. This way you can finish the first game at a constant quality and when you have more experience you can completely rev up your style... just trying to be completely honest with you speaking from my experience of not-finishing-things though.lol :P If you finish it, at least you can post it on other sites that otherwise wouldn't care to just play a demo/beta test(like download.com, other fan sites and people who aren't interested in the process of making a game). Myself included(though i'm in a situation where I can't really work on my projects atm), one of the biggest problems with fangamers in general is it is really rare for a person to finish his projects or ideas. The game already looks like you spent time on it... it's enjoyable. There's no need to make the most technical fangame ever if it's your first. For example, when I was in 8th grade I made a game called "Crazy Cabbie Sonic"(7 yrs ago?). While it was pretty crappily made and the concept of Sonic as a taxi driver made no sense, it was really fun to play so people liked it(it ended up on lots of random websites too o.O).

Personally, i say fuck the graphics and finish the game. Too many games get canned because every time we post something and it doesn't look professional, everyone gets picky and tears it apart. The guy never finishes the game because hes too busy trying to improve the graphics on the first level so he can actually get feedback on the GAME instead of everyone bitching about the fucking graphics.

It is a FANGAME people. Sure, the graphics suck, but at least he gave us something to play. Graphics do need improving, but I still say the game comes first. It was a fun demo and an awesome concept.

Don't worry about pleasing everyone who bitches about the graphics. Worry about them in later stages and maybe a later project. I say finish your game, it feels pretty promising.

Cool deal everyone. I'm not going to re-do the graphics, but I will touch some up like Sonic's jumps, and some of the enemies, like crabmeat. Also, I will be sure to fix up the backgrounds. I took a break on the game for like a week or so since I released the demo cause I was getting tired of working on it every freicken day lol, but I'm going to start working on it again tomorrow or tuesday (I'm setting up Vista on my laptop, so once thats good and out of the way I'll start on Paper Sonic again.) Once I get some work done on level 2, I'll post some screenshots so you guys can see some original level design and work lol.

Cool deal everyone. I'm not going to re-do the graphics, but I will touch some up like Sonic's jumps, and some of the enemies, like crabmeat. Also, I will be sure to fix up the backgrounds. I took a break on the game for like a week or so since I released the demo cause I was getting tired of working on it every freicken day lol, but I'm going to start working on it again tomorrow or tuesday (I'm setting up Vista on my laptop, so once thats good and out of the way I'll start on Paper Sonic again.) Once I get some work done on level 2, I'll post some screenshots so you guys can see some original level design and work lol.
you should be careful with installing vista. i heard gm games don't work to well with it.

I like the concept. Here are my thoughts:

• Like Rgx, I get no sound. Why is that?

• The ring sprites are huge and don't really match the rest of the style. I'd suggest making them "paper thin," so when they turn they get thinner until you can almost not see them. Like you're spinning a cardboard cut-out around.

• I love the sprite Damizean gave you, definitely use it and try to make the rest in the same style. Upping presentation would do wonders for this game.

• Sonic needs to get unique abilities, maybe later on. The more you emphasize on the "paper" aspect of the game, the better. Paper Mario 2 did - with the sailboat, the paper airplane, turning sideways to get through metal bars, etc. Obviously this is a platformer and not an RPG, so they don't have to be puzzle-related. Brainstorm and see what ideas come out of it.

• Adding some level gimmicks would help a lot. All you really have are those speed ramps and moving platforms. Get more variety for later zones.

• Sonic jumps in slow motion. Try increasing the gravity and jump strength a little?

Overall this is an original concept for a Sonic fangame and although there are a lot of areas that need improvement (especially graphics, presentation really counts), I see potential. Keep at it.

for some reason iv been hearing of a couple issues with sound. one of my friends had that problem, but once he just closed and re-opened the game, he had no problem.

I've tried that but no luck. Also sometimes when I jump on top of the enemie s,I get hurt instead of them.. Nice concept and idea it just needs a bugs fix and a nice polish.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm almost done the first act of the second level, so once I'm done (all I need now are some enemies), I'll post up another demo exclusive to everyone of this forum (wont be posted on the main site), so ppl can checkout the modifications to the speed, and a look at an original level.