A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Retro-Sonic (PC Version NOW AVAILABLE, Read first post)

The Taxman

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check that you have Windows Service Pack 2 and Direct X 9.0c installed, then install the Microsoft ".NET Framework" v3.0. You can download it from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=10cc340b-f857-4a14-83f5-25634c3bf043&displaylang=en

or here:

http://files.filefront.com/dotnetfx3setupexe/;7425198;/fileinfo.html

Let us know if that does or doesn't work.

I downloaded Direct X 10 (Which I was almost positive I had... oh well.) and got it working. My review:

This is the best fangame in the history of the universe. Period. Nobody's can compare to this. The gameplay, values, music, level design, everything is absolutely 100% perfect. Other than a few minor bugs (Too minor for me to even remember) I cannot find anything wrong with this game. ALL fangames should aim to achieve this quality. You, Taxman, win. End of story.

If you had submitted this a little earlier, it would have won Best in Show. If it didn't, I'd kill somebody.

GOD I have a rush of inspiration. I'm going to work on my fangame now. Thank you, it's hard for me to get inspired like this anymore.

This is just grade A fantastic.

It's so awesome that this game emulates the physics in the older Sonic games so well. Emerald Hill runs even better than Sonic 2 thanks to the better hardware.

Egg Garden was very well designed too (The boss kicked my butt a few times). Superb layout, artwork, sounds, everything. It looked like something pulled out of a real Sonic game!

This is really going to turn a lot of heads when it's done ;) Keep going Taxman, and don't stop!

Wow... For me, this game matches perfectly with the genesis engine, along with the great level design of Egg Garden makes this game fit perfectly with the name, Retro Sonic, because it really gives you a retro feeling.

Congratulations Tax, you're the best.

Without a doubt, this truly is the best Sonic the Hedgehog fangame ever made.

Aside from the fact that it hasn't been made yet, yes. Coolest demo yet, yes.

And I can promise you no amount of Service Pack 2 and .net framework will fix any problems... as I have neither.

The physics aren't 100% perfect, doesn't matter because its still an excellent imitation.

Excellent Taxman! Top-notch work. I've been disappointed with the last official Sonic games, but this new engine gives hope. I'm sure that we will see amazing things created with it, thanks to you.

But if you dont mind, I would like to suggest three things: a "Center Screen" option (like the old version); an option to set a custom fullscreen resolution (or just list out all available resolutions supported by your video card in that field); and a vsync option on the windowed mode (btw, the fullscreen mode use vsync or only triple buffering ?).

Thanks!

Shame, nobody's done any bug reports yet? Jumbled in no particular order:

-- The thing keeps running while minimized. (Note: This is from a Win98 SE user)

-- Jump into a Special Ring, and it'll crash. Incidentally, the Play Special Stage option in the debug menu doesn't respond...intentional? (And All Zones doesn't do anything I can notice...)

-- You can get stuck in a 90-degree corner for just a moment (you can jmup out) by jumping or falling into one. Speaking of that, the AI partner loooves spawning in the floor on occasion:

retro-oops1.gif

-- The partner AI mostly follows my button commands with a delay instead of trying to keep up. I trust that's a placeholder?

-- The camera can't keep up on occasion, usually when i'm going too fast. Though once it zoned out for a sec and forgot I was going someplace...

-- Skidding to a halt gets a liiiittle weird sometimes:

retro-oops2.gif

Whee? But seriously, mess around with skidding, it definitely feels screwy. Oh, and you barely need to carry any momentum to "stick" to the corkscrews in Emerald Hill.

-- As Knuckles, I hit the ground from gliding, slid off an edge, and resumed gliding. (I was still holding the button, mind.) Also, I had him as partner once in Emerald Hill, and I guess I must have made him glide into the ground or a 90-degree slope at just the precise angle or something, because he suddenly cut a thunderous slide that went roaring across the screen at max speed. Hilarious, but of course I didn't hit PrintScreen in time. Argh!

-- When I press enter on the debug menu at any option other than Exit, it fades to black and i'm left with that until I reset.

-- There's some background bugs in Egg Garden 2. I noticed, when leaving the "poster palace", the BG shifting to the outside view with the mode 7 clouds (and no vertical scrolling...). The switch can be seen by looking through a hole in the wall on the upper road. Plus, if you're towards the end and exit from a Bonus Stage, the BG shifts back to the original one.

-- Some potholes in Egg Garden here and there:

retro-oops3.gif

-- Got a semi-major one: Emerald Hill is borked by weird invisible walls that crop up around the checkered wall tiles. I'm 100% certain they happen if you bump against certain solid ceilings.

retro-oops4.gif

This one in act 1 stops you right where Sonic is teetering, and is too tall to jump over. It's also made me fall into the ground and get stuck by jumping into it and hugging it as I fell.

retro-oops5.gif

Near the end of act 2. They're mostly solid on all sides...

retro-oops6.gif

...as you can see. But i've actually been able to walk through this one by falling off it just right first. There's unquestionably a lot more of them scattered around, but you get the gist.

Aside from, well, all of that, the one critical GAME flaw I can think of is the Egg Garden boss. Damn it's a cheap mofo, I Game Over'd twice the first run. It once even pinned me against the left side and kept on walking. I know it's rushed but it needs some fundamental work; maybe start by adding bumper pads to its' feet so those aren't as much an issue. Other minor troubles are along the lines of the little inaccuracies and annoyances (element shields don't deflect projectiles, badnik placement could be better, so on and such), and I seriously don't get why you guys insist on including the bog standard flavorless Shield when you have the element ones, but no other real horror stories.

No doubt this would have clean sweeped the show. Egg Garden's design felt slightly claustrophobic but quite Sonicy, and the physics, unfinished as they are feel like a neat mix of the Genesis and Sonic CD control. And KEEP that killer Super Sneakers track! It alone makes the powerup more fun than I ever remember it being. I have more to say and suggest but, uh, it was 3 AM when I finished this big long thing x_x

BONUS: Found a secret! You know what he said about the hidden character pairups? Try it for the stage select in 1 Player!...alas, it'll only get you into the first two Bonus Stages, and they act like the Minus World :(

Actually I think the game may not have worked for spike because he may have been missing a DirectX 7 component (since microsoft changed the architecture from 8 onwards), Installing DirectX 10 could have fixed the problem if it had legacy files included or something.

But yeah, I can definately say I don't use any fruity extra components, just standard stuff.

Ok on to the bug stuff (which I already know about :P)

-That partner spawning only happens for characters other than tails, and those combinations are hidden for a reason you know :P they're there for fun only so live with it

-The collision detection isn't perfect... infact I need to rewrite it altogether to improve it, the method is a fast one, but not the most accurate so I'm just gonna have to bite the bullet and redo it at some point

-Those collision issues with Emerald hill are because I need to put in all the plane switcher objects that it has (i must have forgot some)

-The Egg Garden Boss isn't cheap, you just don't know its pattern... if you're not facing him, he will always step towards you. You have to be facing him for the fist attack, when this repeats twice the the aerial attack occurs.

That thing with the bonus levels in the zone menu is actually a bug though lol, I'll have to fix that

Anyway, the point is these things always get addressed eventually so don't worry

older_for_flash/retro-oops1.gif[/qimg]

-- The camera can't keep up on occasion, usually when i'm going too fast. Though once it zoned out for a sec and forgot I was going someplace...

That usually happens with Sonic 2 - and I love it. It increases the sense of speed.

Noticed a few bugs, mainly things relating to angles, and also that I could fly/glide after going off a ramp, which is something that I believe only Chaotix had.

Fun game though, but I'm not going to go all fangasmic idiotic happy happy BEST GAME EVAR mode on you. This is top notch though.

-The Egg Garden Boss isn't cheap, you just don't know its pattern... if you're not facing him, he will always step towards you. You have to be facing him for the fist attack

Oh...well that's kind of...obscure. Fun fight, anyway.

I haven't been keeping up with Retro until now, so what all can be made/changed in the editor besides the obvious advertised stuff?

I experienced no bugs while playing, and it ran great on my PC.

*Level design is great and gimmicks were well programmed.

*That boss battle in Egg Garden was awesome. Hard, but nonetheless, awesome.

*Music is great.

*Graphics are awesome, mode7 skies? Nice.

Anyone who has trouble with that boss really needs to learn to take advantage of their temporary invincibility.

I love it though. I mean, farting fire of doom. Awesome.

Not a lot of bosses in the original games needed you to take advantage of that, though. ;P That being said, I know it's possible to damage this boss without taking damage yourself - it's just very tricky, it seems.