A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic PcX Test Play / Tutorial (available on page 4)

z3d

Yup. Made every animation myself

>>>Edit

TRD You'd better come back!

Lol, don't worry my friend, I haven't left the site, that was a counter-attack I pulled with added drama. Lol, CAMP.

Also, I'm very impressed with this sprite and this game so far, keep up the good work.

as sexylicious as it is, IMO its head need to be looking up a bit more, i know its supposed to be nextgen/adventure, but he would only really have his head down when running at full speed. I guess you could get away with it for the spring jump animation, but otherwise it looks a tad naff

Quick notes ---

1. Okay, need to lift the head up

2. I think, before I post a demo, I'll let you guys play around with the engine a bit, there's things I don't like about it so I'm pretty sure there'll be things you guys won't either. I NEED the constructive criticism. I'll post it on <Monday>.

3. TRD ya slag! Good to see you're still here!

It would be helpful if you'd explain to him why.

It's just that he's always looking down (I know, I know, already mentioned.) and the shading on the quils looks very off and sloppy. The body and proportions are amazing though.

Hey, it's looking good! The sprites are great, I can't wait to see them animated.

It seems that you're also going for a more widescreen-like resolution. Maybe you could make it 16:9...

Cheers dude,

In the full version I'll have an option to change resolution and screen size and what-not.

Wahaaay. A day early. Well here it is, most of you will have already tried Damizean's 360 engine - it's designed on it. So credit goes to him where appropriate.

I was sort of just putting the stuff together for you lot to see and I ended up making a quick tutorial of the things I've put in so far. While making the tutorial, I also got a heap of new ideas that I want to add to the engine. So I'm doing that at the mo. , which'll take longer for a demo, but hey.

Although I've got some new ideas, I want to add as many as possible. Sooo, asking you guys... any ideas? =)

Ohhh btw...you CANNOT kill an enemy with a simple jump.

>>>Edit

For now extract/install it to ''C:\Sonic PcX'', that's where the music is located to play at. This will be fixed in the next update.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=303LKK70

I took the liberty of merging your new thread with your old one. You don't need more than one thread for one game. If there's a major update, you can request a moderator to change the thread title announcing it (as I just have).

Actually, all he has to do is double-click next to his topic title in the GFD page, and rename it.

I'll try this in a few.

The lack of gamepad support saddens me. I can never, ever stress enough: Just because you do not own a gamepad does not mean you should abandon gamepad support for your games.

I play all fangames with a gamepad, assuming people do proper gamepad support. It just feels right. Thankfully, for those few games that do not support gamepads there's Joy2Key, but having proper gamepad support "right out of the box" so to speak is a big, big bonus for me.

Besides that, what you've got here is pretty good. Plays well. Feels a little bit under polished, but nothing that seriously detracts from the fun; I wouldn't worry about it too much. Though adopting Sonic 2k6's nasty habit of "if you aren't homing attacking you take a hit" is a bad bad bad idea (maybe you didn't do that and it was just a bug, I dunno).

And will people PLEASE stop using my old Sonic Adventure SFX rips? I know they're mine, they've got a nasty buzzing in the background. I re-ripped them all years and years ago and nobody EVER uses the new ones.

@Real : Thanks for the thread merging =). And no worries about levels getting stale, I was worried that this test level would be really boring in comparison to the rest lol.

@Blaze: I've noticed it feels sort of un-polished aswell but I can't put my finger on it... if you know what it is please let me know... And the idea of having to home-attack / slide / spindash an enemy and not jump on them came to me from next-gen :P

@Azu: Thanks for hosting it! And I'll make it a little slower but not too much, it'll ruin the play for most of the levels.

@Azu/Blaze: Now Working on Gamepad support =)

-------------------------------------------------------------

@EVERYONE: New demo should (SHOULD) be out next Sunday. The original 1st stage has been scrapped, there were a few stupid bugs that wouldn't fix. The demo will now include Level 6 that I'll be working on.

• Like 1

@Blaze: I've noticed it feels sort of un-polished aswell but I can't put my finger on it... if you know what it is please let me know... And the idea of having to home-attack / slide / spindash an enemy and not jump on them came to me from next-gen :P

Sonic should be able to damage enemies by jumping in to them. I like how you implemented the homing attack (knocking the enemies back before they explode is a really cool effect), but normal jumping should also do damage. That is one of the biggest follies of Sonic Next-Gen. If you change anything, please change that (I for one think Sonic's speed feels fine).

One thing that damages the polish is pushing against a wall as Sonic falls... when he lands he does the skid animation briefly going in the opposite direction you were touching the wall at. You can also kind of get stuck a little bit in/under the part you roll/slide under.

Your sound effects could use some work, too. If you need some, I have a rather large cache I keep on hand for my games spanning several games, including a few from Sonic 2k6. I ripped them from an MP3 file a friend of mine gave me (recorded from the demo, with the music turned off) before I got my Xbox 360 for use in

(the version of with those sounds is still "coming soon").

Edit: Infact, I'll just post'em anyway.

http://blazemp3.sepwich.com/VERYTEMP/sounds/

Includes my re-ripped Sonic Adventure sounds.

• Like 1

Thanks alot BlazeHedgehog, that's quite helpful info. and thanks for the sounds too. Much appreciated, I'll start putting the new sounds in.

-Alright so I'll be enabling Sonic to damage enemies with a simple jump, I'm actually getting tired of dying because I forget to home-attack.

-The roll/slide shouldn't be too hard to fix

-The wall /skid thing has bugged me since the beginning. Shall get to work on it.

Thanks again for the sounds =D

Played this morning, played it again just now. I've got to say it's awesome. That's about as perfect that you can get a Genesis-style Next Gen engine. I love the attention to detail, the sounds of the footsteps caught my attention. Not many games do that, it's very fancy. I don't like how you can't switch the mode of Homing Attack on your own, though. If I have more than one attack, I want to use it when I want.

(Also, the Lost Prologue MP3 is included, but doesn't play?)

SWEET JESUS!

that was bloody good, it took me a while to make it past the homing jump section, because i'm retarded, but i see pure gold buried in here. The sprites looks fine when there moving around, so you don't need to bother fixing them, the idle animation, everything is orgasmic (reletive to its early stage at least). Although i was like WTF with the homing attack modes, i just made it up as went along, and then the last run before the end of the level is confusingly amazing, WUT, water slides? JUMP BOARD SSHHEEETTTT.

note to self, eat less sugary shit

EDIT: ok a couple of things, make it so you can jump from a spin-dash, maybe assign spin dash to down jump and perhaps have press down=>roll, its good for building up momentum etc... and its more noticable if its not there than otherwise. And include attack jump, but thats already been mentioned, good stuff though

@Spike: You can change the homing-attack mode yourself lol, it says at the beginning. Change it pressing Z. Didn't the music work =S..? I've given the music to play at ''C:\Sonic PcX''

@Khorney: Did the music work for you? And Ok so:-

1. Need to be able to jump from spindash

2. Need a roll. Fair point. Building momentum with it is always good.

Sweet mother of jesus,man I loved that game it was awsome.It,s much beter then what i can do.Is there any chance of a engine source release of this engine cuz i want to steel it and clam it as my own.I bet it would help alot of fangamers at Sfghq meaning me cuz i don,t have one once of oringinallity in my body, i just plain suck steel balls.....but you don,t have to give me the enigne source.lollololololololoo

Translated to Blazefire language.

z3d, if you ever receive a message similar to his, or recognize his typing, DO NOT ISSUE A ENGINE SOURCE to him. This guy is infamous on the internet for stealing other peoples shit.

Sweet mother of jesus,man I loved that game it was awsome.I can,t wait for the next demo.Is there any chance of a engine source release of this engine because it would be nice.I bet it would help alot of fangamers at Sfghq in the engines section.....but you don,t have to.lol

I laph'ed. (Anyone catch that joke?)

But z3d, the music plays now that I put it in that folder. You really should use "current_directory" (Or whatever MMF has) in case the user puts it in a different directory. You will have MAJOR problems if you keep doing that later, especially if you store more important things externally, and it wouldn't really be pleasant for your whole topic to consis of people asking what was wrong with it. Just giving you a heads up.

Also, why do Sonic's spikes always wiggle, no matter what he is doing?