A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic PcX Test Play / Tutorial (available on page 4)

z3d

I looks great! All I can say is keep up the good work and dont let your game Died like whirlwind did (17 times, with 47 backups, renames and restarts)...

including the wall kick and sonic boom (wiiith motion blur).

I remember I had wall kick and motion blur... motion blur made my game lag like hell, it doesn't seem like it'll lag in yours.

I looks great! All I can say is keep up the good work and dont let your game Died like whirlwind did (17 times, with 47 backups, renames and restarts)...

I remember I had wall kick and motion blur... motion blur made my game lag like hell, it doesn't seem like it'll lag in yours.

Thaaank you very much!

Oooh god, that must have been a nightmare. I get so p*ssed when I lose one file 17 must have been something else...

Don't worry tho I've got several backups that update along with the main one :)

So far no the motion blur doesn't affect the framerate even slightly. It didn't on my old computer either. It's a good thing you mentioned that tho I should probably post a demo-type thing for people to test it out for themselves

Thaaank you very much!

Oooh god, that must have been a nightmare. I get so p*ssed when I lose one file 17 must have been something else...

Don't worry tho I've got several backups that update along with the main one :)

So far no the motion blur doesn't affect the framerate even slightly. It didn't on my old computer either. It's a good thing you mentioned that tho I should probably post a demo-type thing for people to test it out for themselves

your welcome, and I think the word your looking for is pre alpha, alpha or beta anyway I'm looking forward for one.

I'd love to promise you something amazing but seeing as I've still got plenty to still find out about the engine it'll be a while until I can really make it my own.

Lol still, I'll post something playable soon.

There's definetely some feedback I'll need on a few things...

Nice video you got there, and the sprite is awesome.

BTW, if you wanna add music/sounds, the easiest way is to set the audio capture to "Speakers" or "LineOut", version 2.0 of Camstudio can do this.

That way, the sounds from the game will be recorded too.

You may want to make the eyes blink quite a bit faster, and the walking animation could do with having the head wobble a bit with the motion.

I gotta say though, I don't really like how he comes out of the spin when jumping so soon. It doesn't really make sense that Sonic can bash things just having his feet hanging out like that. Realistically, he would either have to execute a quick unspin animation when detecting that the ground is very close, or do the unspin animation he does right now when he's relatively close to the ground ( check with a sensor ) and make an exception if he's over something bustable.

Seems like you'll want to do some hotspot/positioning tweaking to fix the feet to ground alignment when the sprite is running along angles too.

But ailments aside, the sprite looks pretty cool. It's really the only thing I'm commenting on since it's pretty much the only big thing that I see there aside from the few moves you added.

Nice video you got there, and the sprite is awesome.

BTW, if you wanna add music/sounds, the easiest way is to set the audio capture to "Speakers" or "LineOut", version 2.0 of Camstudio can do this.

That way, the sounds from the game will be recorded too.

I will definetely keep that in mind thanks for the heads up!

(How do I multi-quote, can I do that?)

@LarkSS - thanks for pointing out the jump animation, I keep forgetting that I should fix that. What I want to do is actually have the fall animation seperate, atm both the spin and the roll out/fall are in the same animation. It looks even worse because I've set the anim speed to 100 for the jumping part to look fluid...

I'll also have a look and see if I can make his head bobble naturally with the movement, and tweak hotspots a bit.

Lol it is a bit messy atm :P

I like the second one because it looks like Genesis type chars.First one looks like Sonic advance char.

Besides,in that demo video you are using Genesis stage parts and even some Sonic CD animations.So i think second one is more suitable.

(Anyway i prefer your FIRST sprites:3.png)

BTW,Great project!

Thanks I also love my old sprite!

The problem with it though is I made the sprite using a small screen, as in 320x240. So it looks nice there.

Now that using the fullscreen option works flawlessly, (TGF couldn't) you can see the not-so-much attention to detail in certain proportions and things in it, and I really hate it :/

But you're not the first to say you prefer my first one... maybe I should use it and just fix it up a bit...