A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Galaxy

Sonic Galaxy

a Summer Adventure like no other...

See the Official Thread in SSMB

Hey there! This is my first fangame project. I call it Sonic Galaxy.

I started this game in August 2006 after being a week in the south part of my country. I hope I can show the

ideas it gave me.

This game will feature a loyal to the original games engine and will have GBA sprites as far as possible. The

adventure will have 5 playable characters with different stories, but they will all be connected.

Screenshots

(empty)

Story:

Introduction: Eggman traps Sonic by making him win a trip to Portugal in a fake contest. As Tails warns Sonic of Eggman's threat, he realizes he has to get home at all costs. But he has a great ocean filled with H2O, an Eggman's foe and lots of other dangers in his way. Will Sonic get home in time before it's too late? Tails, Knuckles, Shadow and Espio will also enter the fight and stop Eggman as they can.

Sonic: Sonic has won a trip to Portugal through a contest Tails and Knuckles told him about. 3 days later after Sonic leaving, Eggman launches a new threat over the world. Being far from home, Sonic wouldn't have ways to stop him. Tails immediately phones Sonic and tells him what's going on. Sonic realizing he has to come back, doesn't think twice and starts running home. A long and exhaustive journey over an entire ocean of H2O and lots of other dangers await him.

Tails: (empty)

Knuckles: (empty)

Shadow: It's dawn, and Shadow is lied down on a tree branch, thinking. Suddenly, an Eggman's ship appears and shoots missiles everywhere. Then, some robots surround him, and try to shoot him. But he pushes them off with an enormous Chaos Blast and destroys them all. The ship leaves, and Shadow receives a call from Tails. Tails warns him of another Eggman's threat, and Shadow rushes to meet with the group. As Sonic is on vacation and far away from home, Shadow prepares to go follow that ship himself and enter Eggman's base.

Espio: The Chaotix are once again awaiting the phone to ring, to get off the office and start a new assignment. Since they were bored, they decided to draw to see who's going to pick up the groceries. Espio loses. While he leaves the supermarket, he receives a call from Knuckles. He says Sonic is on vacation, and asks Espio to see if Eggman is up to no good, because he's been suspecting. With his invisibility and espionage skills, Espio will spy on Eggman and infiltrate his base to discover what plans he's working on.

I hope you like the story. I'm trying to make a memorable adventure and I want it to look like Sonic Adventure 1, Adventure 2 and Riders. Don't get bothered by the fact that I'm involving my country, but it is my country, and I think it's pretty sunny.

Characters:

Sonic

Tails

Knuckles

Shadow

Espio

Amy Rose

Metal Sonic

Fang the Sniper

Dr. Eggman

One of the features I want to add to it is the Free Mode. It'll have the story levels, but with a bunch of characters to choose.

I made this topic here so that I could have better backup than the one from SSMB. They give me great encouragement but don't know much about MMF2, which I think it's better than Game Maker, IMO.

It would be nice to see some screens/demo of this project, I clicked on the link to that site and saw nothing, really.

However, I did see people trying to provide you with sprites for your project, so that seems good.

EDIT: Wait, I saw some screens further into the topic, looks ok to say the least, I would like to see more if you can provide it.

It would be nice to see some screens/demo or some type of proof for this project, I clicked on the link to that site and saw nothing, really.

The link is working fine. I think you need to try again.

If you enter the link, go to page 4. Around it, you'll see some screens.

So, any progress from august to now?

=/

Well, almost nothing, cuz I don't know much about engine. I made the shields. The electric one attracts rings, but they should accelerate.

The link is working fine. I think you need to try again.

If you enter the link, go to page 4. Around it, you'll see some screens.

Sorry, what I meant was that I didn't see any kind of proof (Screens/demos or anything) that this was an actual project in the making, but I went to the last page and saw 3 or 5 screens.

Ok, I'll try. Just don't hate for being a newbie. And it's really a "testing the engine" stage. Just give me time, and I'll build a stage. Is anybody interested in knowing how the intros are? I'll post them later in the empty places.

Ok, I'll try. Just don't hate for being a newbie. And it's really a "testing the engine" stage. Just give me time, and I'll build a stage. Is anybody interested in knowing how the intros are? I'll post them later in the empty places.

Hello True Blue this is Charmander from SSMB (quiet the rest of you, I have a perfectly valid reason posting there...when I think of it)

Anyway none of the guys hate you for being new, but SFGHQ works more far more differently (and thankfully) then Sonic Stadium's fan creation forum, posting evidence of the games existence is a must and providing info on what you plan to do is also recommended. If you have a intro you think is worth while to show then please post it, this is your game thread after.

Also bear in mind that when you happen to get sharp criticism, take it, analyze it and understand how you can try and make the game better from it, there is no reason doing half a job, always try and finish the job. :)

Now my first bit of critique to you is to first try and make a more unique background, I know the screenshots are engine testing level so I'll let it slide, but if you think you want to try makes new backgrounds (which I think you should try a give a go at!) check this topic from Blue Frenzy its very informative and helpful. Its a plus side in your project to sport some original/customized art for the game

You do seem still seem relatively new to the fangaming scene, so I'll tell you to try and keep things possible or do able from your stand point, do not get carried a way with tones of ideas you want to put into your fangames, that’s the last thing you want to do!

Lastly, make sure you don't hesitate using the help forum we have a SFGHQ in any problems you have, we're never shy to help! (but do not bump the topics, thats bad, bad bad baaad!)

Hope the advice and encouragement did help, I'll be interested in seeing what you can make.

• Like 1

Hello True Blue this is Charmander from SSMB (quiet the rest of you, I have a perfectly valid reason posting there...when I think of it)

Anyway none of the guys hate you for being new, but SFGHQ works more far more differently (and thankfully) then Sonic Stadium's fan creation forum, posting evidence of the games existence is a must and providing info on what you plan to do is also recommended. If you have a intro you think is worth while to show then please post it, this is your game thread after.

Also bear in mind that when you happen to get sharp criticism, take it, analyze it and understand how you can try and make the game better from it, there is no reason doing half a job, always try and finish the job. :)

Now my first bit of critique to you is to first try and make a more unique background, I know the screenshots are engine testing level so I'll let it slide, but if you think you want to try makes new backgrounds (which I think you should try a give a go at!) check this topic from Blue Frenzy its very informative and helpful. Its a plus side in your project to sport some original/customized art for the game

You do seem still seem relatively new to the fangaming scene, so I'll tell you to try and keep things possible or do able from your stand point, do not get carried a way with tones of ideas you want to put into your fangames, that’s the last thing you want to do!

Lastly, make sure you don't hesitate using the help forum we have a SFGHQ in any problems you have, we're never shy to help! (but do not bump the topics, thats bad, bad bad baaad!)

Hope the advice and encouragement did help, I'll be interested in seeing what you can make.

Hi, Charmander. Good to see you. Yes, it helped. It's great to get encouragement when we most need it.

When I said "don't hate me for being a newbie", I meant that since I'm a newbie, I'm gonna make some mistakes.

Thanks for the advices. I won't forget them.

As for making a more unique BG, I like the original ones. But I want to be creative. I'll use some originals and use some made or edited by me. Thanks for the link. It'll come in handy.

When you say "bump the topics", are you saying that I can't make too many questions in a topic, or too many topics?

You bet I'm new to the fangaming scene. But I have so many ideas I want to show to the world, I burst sometimes. I'll just take note of them, take care of the engine and, later on, get the two parts together.

I'm willing to learn how to tweak the engine. Something that frustrates the most when making a game. I've been trying to make a level on Sonic Worlds' engine, but looking at the miles of events that I can't figure out puts me in a dilemma. What to do? Copy all the objects and events to my frame (problematic) or compare mine and Dami's engines and join them together (exhaustive)? Sometimes I wish Sonic Worlds was all divided into sections (a frame for each matter), so I could take only what I want at the moment. But who's gonna give to all the trouble and make it for me?

One thing I would want for the cutscenes would be me drawing by hand some actions, scanning them and put them there. One other thing, besides drawings, pixel art. Metal Sonic will make a major appearance here and I'd like to make pixel art of his body details. Because I want to give him a new design and be able to show it well. I'll have to look for tutorials...

I understand you guys don't want me to give you only info in my posts. I hope that doesn't mean I need to not make any replies unless I have news.

Anyway, I'll give you some of the intros of the story. Follow the link.

When I said "don't hate me for being a newbie", I meant that since I'm a newbie, I'm gonna make some mistakes.

I understand that you are new, and that you make mistakes, everyone does, however thats still NO excuse for not reading the rules. It's kinda necessary to read them to avoid situations like this. It's not alot to read really, you'll benefit off of them also.

Here's the main rules:

Forum Rules and Guidelines.

And here's the rule that you should really look at:

No fake games.

If you have any questions or concerns, contact an admin or mod, they will happily help you out.

We don't hate you True Blue, it's just that this has happened many times before, due to new members not reading the forum's rules.

But once you read them, I guarantee you'll feel more comfortable here.

Oh and Welcome btw.

Welcome to SFGHQ, True Blue. I think I've seen you at SCD.

When you say "bump the topics", are you saying that I can't make too many questions in a topic, or too many topics?

"Bumping" means posting in an old topic, bumping it back to the top. Check the date of the last post on the last page. If it's over a week or two, it's better not to post, but you're allowed to bump your own fangame topic if you're adding new information.

I'm willing to learn how to tweak the engine. Something that frustrates the most when making a game. I've been trying to make a level on Sonic Worlds' engine, but looking at the miles of events that I can't figure out puts me in a dilemma. What to do? Copy all the objects and events to my frame (problematic) or compare mine and Dami's engines and join them together (exhaustive)? Sometimes I wish Sonic Worlds was all divided into sections (a frame for each matter), so I could take only what I want at the moment. But who's gonna give to all the trouble and make it for me?

If it's a serious roadblock, I don't see the shame in just using the engine as it is. I may be doing that for my fangame.

I hope that doesn't mean I need to not make any replies unless I have news.

No, certainly not. We just need some proof that your game exists. Work on getting something to show. Good luck.

Aki: Helpful post, rep up. Good job.

Once you figure out how Sonic Worlds works (and specifically, how the Sonic engine mechanics in general work - eg: how the Genesis games function) it becomes very easy to make levels with the stock engine.

Customizing it (adding new stuff like gimmicks that works with the current stuff)? Now that's another story. But, that would be why we have a gimmick request topic in the Sonic Worlds forum.

I understand that you are new, and that you make mistakes, everyone does, however thats still NO excuse for not reading the rules. It's kinda necessary to read them to avoid situations like this. It's not alot to read really, you'll benefit off of them also.

Here's the main rules:

Forum Rules and Guidelines.

And here's the rule that you should really look at:

No fake games.

If you have any questions or concerns, contact an admin or mod, they will happily help you out.

We don't hate you True Blue, it's just that this has happened many times before, due to new members not reading the forum's rules.

But once you read them, I guarantee you'll feel more comfortable here.

Oh and Welcome btw.

Of course it's no excuse. I'll read the rules. Thanks for showing them. I've read the "no fake games" already. I'll try to show you some fake screens (I'll tell you for sure) just to exemplify how I'd like a level to be.

One thing I want really bad in this game is Mode7. Like in Sonic Battle and SAdv2's Special Stages.

Thanks for not hating me. Sometimes I get that feeling...

But I was just implying "I'm sorry." with that. Nothing to be taken serious.

Welcome to SFGHQ, True Blue. I think I've seen you at SCD.

"Bumping" means posting in an old topic, bumping it back to the top. Check the date of the last post on the last page. If it's over a week or two, it's better not to post, but you're allowed to bump your own fangame topic if you're adding new information.

If it's a serious roadblock, I don't see the shame in just using the engine as it is. I may be doing that for my fangame.

No, certainly not. We just need some proof that your game exists. Work on getting something to show. Good luck.

Aki: Helpful post, rep up. Good job.

Nope. I'm only from SSMB. But I have already considered joining there.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Yes, I like the engine as it is. Or some of it. In mine, Sonic doesn't accelerate, doesn't drift, doesn't roll, doesn't look down, doesn't look up, you name it. Because I can't make that. The engine I'm using is this one. Take a look. But it won't do for the rest of the project. Oh, and I'm having problems with the ring counter. It's a score object. I'd prefer if it was a counter. But I don't know how to put it in front of the scenery. I also need the score and the lives. If someone could explain that to me, it would help. Actually for the whole engine. The only thing it's working brilliantly are the shieds (I added the ones from Sonic Worlds) and the sprites I'm making. Notice that the sea scenery is an edit I made. It wasn't that long in the GBA game.

Heh, I'd really like to get some proof. The prob is the engine. It's not good enough to be shown yet. I wanted to have a full level done and the menus to make a demo and screenshots.

Once you figure out how Sonic Worlds works (and specifically, how the Sonic engine mechanics in general work - eg: how the Genesis games function) it becomes very easy to make levels with the stock engine.

Customizing it (adding new stuff like gimmicks that works with the current stuff)? Now that's another story. But, that would be why we have a gimmick request topic in the Sonic Worlds forum.

I feel like I need someone to give some explanations. I look at the events of Sonic Worlds, and I get very confused. I try to know what does what (I can't, I faint) so I can know what to add to my engine, and how to ADD it.

About the actual engine of Sonic games, my imagination is the only guide I have. But the events use names that not always match my ideas.

If someone could explain to me the whole (or the most important parts) Sonic Worlds engine, it would get a special thanks in the credits.

One other thing that depresses me is that I'm just beginning. Understanding that engine is something I'll only be able to do, after giving the baby steps. That's too advanced for me. I wish the engine had a guide like the one I showed you.

And big thanks for all your welcomes.

Now, I really wanna hear what you have to say about this:

What do you think of the story? :) It's not completely thought about. Some things may be added or changed. I'm still trying to give big parts to Tails and Knuckles. And trying to give all characters a different mission. Like in Sonic 06.

Uhh quick question. What's the point of sonic entering a contest to win a trip to portugal? If he wanted to go he could just run there or take the tornado. If the whole game is going to take place there you're gonna have trouble making the stages, cuz portugal isn't exactly a very exotic country...

LOL! Thanks!

Uhh quick question. What's the point of sonic entering a contest to win a trip to portugal? If he wanted to go he could just run there or take the tornado. If the whole game is going to take place there you're gonna have trouble making the stages, cuz portugal isn't exactly a very exotic country...

1st - Sonic is afraid of water and he wouldn't go there very often.

2nd - He doesn't have the amount of money to be in a fancy hotel. I think not, cuz with all the damage Eggman does, there mustn't be much room for a reward.

3rd - Sonic Team never told us Sonic wouldn't be in a contest. And never told us Sonic would be able to run over an ocean.

Let's see... We could try to make that make sence. We could join our heads and think how it could work.

Portugal is not quite exotic. And doesn't have palm trees. But you should see our Summer. And besides, the stages will be more or less like this:

Stage 1: Beach Runout

Stage 2: Coast City

Stage 3: VdG Bridge (Mode 7, if possible)

Stage 4: Highway Hill (with mountains)

And that's just about it. Pretty much. BTW I'll make the buildings myself, inspired by the ones from Route 99.