A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

sonic eternal extreme demo available (360 version)

Syonic

Hi guys I'm back, oh and is it possible for one of the moderators please close the original Sonic Eternal thread..even the demo, thx.

ok Sonic Eternal now is officially using Damiz 360 engine..I got a couple of pics but it still needs lots of work on my part, I have got as far as end tally score, badniks, 100 rings = 1 life, boosters and multiple backgrounds/foregrounds..well in other words trying to make it look good.

sonic%20eternal%20ex.png

sonic%20eternal%20ex2.png

sonic%20eternal%20ex3.png

I got as far as 1 level up to now.

I'm kinda please that it plays a little like the advanced series in parts and the good old fashion gen's in some other levels.

I will update more soon...:ssmile:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZMD59FCA

Ok guys heres that level demo, be warned its only in alpha testing, so if the background looks off just ignore it, as in the full release its gonna look nicer and done well.

The only thing that cugs me is that the level design is just floating boxes. Study official Sonic levels, the blocks either go all the way down to the bottom of the sceen, or are connected to another block that does that. They don't just float. And if they do float, They have edges, they aren't just suddenly chopped somewhere. Do you understand what I mean? Because I'm not really sure how to say it.

oh dont worry, i understand m8, just that this level itself isn't in the game, its an update preview of what the game looks or would look like compared to my previous attempt with the static engine.

As to metal's answer, I'm gonna have an advanced stage like speed and loops everywhere on a few zones, and a few other zones would consist the old gen like stages, mazes and the occasonal puzzles. I'm trying to make each zone kinda different in gameplay wise instead of it being the same thing over and over again, trying to keep the players guessing in what the next zone would be like, Eg, a maze like zone or a fast paced zone or even a puzzle like zone. Which to me would be better, but, to some of you I dont know..plz let me know in your opinions though, I'm intrigued :)

Hmmm... this background using level tiles gave me a nice idea for you: Sonic could switch between the level foregrounds, like passig from the front plane to the behind plane, and vice and versa.

I think this may be a kinda difficult, principally in MMF, but it's only an idea to bring a new concept.

:smidge:

Were you planning on doing anything to the Sonic Worlds engine besides add a background?

Also, work on your level design. You make Sonic run really fast right into the pig bots. Not cool. Very not cool. Plus, this game is a "hold right" affair and the platforming is very forced.

Do you want to know what else isn't cool? Bottomless pits of death. No...just...just no.

ok sling, thx for telling me all that i already know, all i wanted to know if its better than my previous version, i did say at first that this level wont be in the game. plus the whole concept isnt always press right as i mention before cause it going to have a variety of different types of levels, you tell me if you've EVER played a sonic game without any pits..ofc you cant! :P

But you did make a good point about the bots, in the full game they will be placed appropriatly.

As for the level design..as once again mentioned, this level is just a sample, dont worry m8, it will look better designed in the real game.

personally, Damiz has done a great job with the engine and i really dont wanna mess it up in the actual game :s

You actually did mess shit up. Ask Dami. Also, don't tell me what's what, because I know what I'm talking about. Having a GIANT bottomless pit with only ONE platform separating you from death is retarded and very Sonic Adventure, Advance, and Rush.

If this level wasn't going to be in the game, then why did you post it? What was the point? Give me a reason why I shouldn't lock this topic and NOT hate you.

1. Never change the player's screen resolution without their permission. T_T
  2. Spacebar or Z are more standard than SHIFT. Tapping SHIFT multiple times brings up a prompt for "sticky keys" (when the option it isn't disabled).
  3. A demo is not a test level. Give us a real level, or none at all.
    • The level is too linear; divide it into segments and make dedicated pathways the player can travel through. Make the pathways BIG, too.
    • I spent most of the time curled up into a ball, and finished the level in around 2-3 minutes. Either slow down the zippers, or slow down the player.
    • Bottomless pits are a NO. NEVER. Get rid of them.

lol..oh..ok guys I get ya point..no pits, multipaths that was my original idea and I will stick with it, enemy placements, as I mentioned above will be placed in the correct way as it should be in a level, gimmicks...yea..plenty but none is on this demo, I do plan to make like push blocks and switches and stuff, yes the boosters are a little too fast, so they will be sorted out.

As for the resolutoin, whats best?, Cause at the moment I have left it as 320x240..my other game was 520x340.

Sling,Ufortunatly you have a point, but Im gonna sort it all out, so hate me if you want, but I know what needs to be done. :P

Generally speaking, don't post betas of anything that uses a really fresh new engine until a while after its been in use. Without exception, you'll just be posting an engine test with some graphic changes if you do.

You need some of your own content to distinguish it as yours, just like everyone said. As it is, it doesn't even look like you bothered to change the values on your floating platforms. Keep this in mind.

When designing levels, keep a few things in mind:

Progression - Draw a node diagram with the way you want the player to travel through the level. Nodes should branch once in a while and come back together once in a while. Nodes shouldn't become too elaborate, but they shouldn't be too simple either. At any time, have no more than 4 alternate paths, but if you are going to make an alternate path at all, make sure it isn't just something that makes no difference in the scope of things.

Method - How should the player progress between nodes. What obstacles should he encounter? How will you make this path distinguished from any other path in your level? Every path needs to have at least one, if not several things that make it wholly unique. Make sure to incorporate actions that go beyond mere jumping once in a while and above all, keep things from looking the same.

wow dimensionwarp, you do really put it in such good perspectives and admit your right aswell :)

thx mate i'll take your ideas into conciderate account and see if i can put them to use. very good by the way, thankyou..better get started then.

Sling,Ufortunatly you have a point, but Im gonna sort it all out, so hate me if you want, but I know what needs to be done. :P

Yeah...it's unfortunate that I'm so right, m8.

Spacebar or Z are more standard than SHIFT. Tapping SHIFT multiple times brings up a prompt for "sticky keys" (when the option it isn't disabled).

Oh really? I could've sworn that every engine that Dami has released for MMF has used the shift key. That point is pretty...uh...iffy. I'm used to the shift setup, so I, personally, wouldn't change it. You, Aero, would use a different key, because you're a GM user. :0

Well, let's not overload the poor guy. I think one of the reasons not a whole lot of SFGs ever get past the early stages anymore is because it's simply too complicated and everybody here tries to be way too perfectionist.

You learn from making mistakes, but you can't truly learn if you never allow yourself to make those mistakes... So, if it's just the Sonic worlds engine and some levels, that's okay. He'll learn and make a better game next time. If there's not a next time - well, that's okay, too, because at least he released something.

Though, I may just be talking out of my ass. Carry on.

Well, Blaze, I see where you are coming from, but we pretty much re-iterate the same complaints for every fangame that comes through here (such as omg bottomless pits) to the point that a SFGHQ Wiki article should be made about them. Plus, if he would've said "this is a level for Sonic Worlds" I wouldn't mind AS much, but this is his project that just happens to be using the same engine. It needs something to distinguish itself. It is like when people slapped one or two small things onto Dami's first 360 engine and called it their game. We probably said the same thing. Actually, I guarantee we said the same thing.

I don't know if you can understand where I'm coming from. Can you?

Well, I guess so. But there are always going to be people that take the easiest way out. It's human nature. We can't expect everybody to commit to all this studying on Sonic game mechanics, level design, etc.

Yes, there are common pitfalls newbies always do... but, well, those guys are newbies. Look at the mapping community for say, DooM or Half-Life. Noobs still release noob maps. They don't sit there for three years revising the same map over and over because all the oldbies are telling the noob what to do.

The noob releases noob maps, and eventually he learns through experience and stops being such a noob.

thankyou blaze, you made a good point, i admit i have never made a sonic fan game, just 2 little demos that im trying to grasp, im sorry sling most people here use dami engine and as long we credit our game to him hes cool by it(i hope :s).

Sling,you can't expect a noob to make a fan game YOU want it to be like , its not possible.

so you see, yes I am still a noob and im trying to make a sonic fan game thats using someone else's engine until i can eventually be experienced enough to make my own engine/make great big adjustments to damiz engine so that it will fit on my game nicely.

so as of now, im gonna make the game the way I want and I will learn on the way and eventually I'll get there.

but thanks for your opinion sling, I did learn something.

And Blaze is right in saying that not many people end up actually finish making a game because its not possible to please everyone now.

Time will tell?!