A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic & Knuckles Alpha

BlazeHedgehog

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sfghq is the best sonic-fangame place ever.

big thx to the many spriters and ! tutorial-writers out there.

they will all be in the credits, sfghq at first !

So... are we ever going to know how you made it? What did you use?

MMF (1.5) :)

the character-rotation is sprite-based.

some media:

secretbasead9.th.jpg

First, I apologize for continuing to go off topic. I do not wish to draw attention away from Sonic & Knuckles Alpha, which I think looks like a very fun game. However, I also do not wish to start a new topic to defend myself for citing my reasons why I found a level boring when someone complained that I had found a level boring without citing my reasons. You can't have it both ways...

Please Violet, stop it. This is a fan game, an amateur game, not a proffesional one. The author doesn't have 200 people composing music, making graphics and designing AI, levels and most things. That's an amateur game.

I am aware of that. I didn't say anything about music, btw, I never bother with it. I am also more than accustomed to small groups of people making projects. My standards are the way they are because where I come from, a level like that might get a 5.5 or something, or a 6, and I suspect that isn't really what you want.

If you are searching for proffesional games, this is not the place. People makes the games for fun, not for make exigent people happy. The only thing you get doing that is that people cancel their projects just because requeriments are too high and can't continue. Did you cancel your project when half is done just because a newer engine is available and people just want that?

I have been working on one Sonic-related project since finding out such things existed. I have never canceled it; rather, I have restarted it several times under my own voalition because I discovered a way I could make it more powerful and give me a wider range of things to do, or was personally unsatisfied with the quality of some graphics, or somesuch. At this point, given a bit more work, it should be more versatile in a few ways than the most powerful 2D scroller engine I have ever encountered. I see no reason other people should not wish to improve their work.

It hurts a lot, and i did it 4 times. I hate to hear that comments and I say it again, If you dont want to play amateur games, just go out, because thats what you are going to find here, and not everybody is a genius to make a close to perfection game, and much less when even a proffesional team like sega is not able to do it like they did it before.

I do want to play amateur games! Those that are good. If I don't have fun playing a game, what is my motivation in playing it? I provided criticism regarding how Nexus' released level could be improved in my eyes. It does not have to be taken - that is part of the nature of criticism. However, even if that particular level does not change, the makers of Nexus may or may not want to take my points into consideration in the future.

If criticism is not welcome here, I am sorry. I am used to people making every effort they can to find people who will criticise their work and tell them how it can be improved.

And just to go down a list of levels that flow with the simple left to right design with minor branching.

Sonic1:

Green Hill Zone

...(clipping down to the designs I am most familiar with)

Sonic 3:

Ice Cap Zone

*sigh* I don't want to debate this - I only want to defend my right to voice an opinion - but you're missing my point. Maybe you can play these levels by running to the right. For Ice Cap Zone, I haven't tried it, because there's so much fun stuff to stop and play with, and so many rewards for not just running blindly without stopping to explore. Sure, you can be allowed to move quickly through the level, but you should also be supported in the wish to not do so.

I entered this topic purely to defend Sonic & Knuckles Alpha. It seems that did not particularly work. If anyone wants to have any further discussions on the nature of criticism, ad hominem aside, they are welcome to contact me through private messages. I would rather see this thread be devoted solely to the discussion of a game that I rather like the looks of so far.

Edit: "mmmm, pretty pictures!!"

wazzap,

sfghq is the best sonic-fangame place ever.

big thx to the many spriters and ! tutorial-writers out there.

they will all be in the credits, sfghq at first !

MMF (1.5) :)

the character-rotation is sprite-based.

some media:

[qimg]http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/1457/secretbasead9.th.jpg[/qimg]

Looks great! I'm usually not one to hype based on screens alone but... I'll resist...

Nice to see the 10 minute time limit in the game too...

Indeed,

I have seen these "opinions" making a lot of people giving up of their projects, this is not good. There's many people there who want become a game developer someday, to sell their products, not just for earn lots of money.

We aren't making stuff just for money here, but to show that a free fan stuff, can be interesting, without harming significantly the copyrights (only if somebody sell them, this illegal).

About the screenshots, the advance and genesis edits match awesome there, I liked the colors!

I wanna play it!

Riptor, I must say, your work is really fantastic, from the first looks of it youd think it was an coded game, its got alot of polish to it, I really would like to see more work from you.

( I hope you stay here for a while, we need a little more competition to get our creative juices flowing )

@Riptor:

Hi. I'm glad you could show up here.

Let me suggest that you remember to put a strong empasis on two things above all else... gimmicks and pathing. Different varieties for every stage or zone to be specific.

I am working on a gimmick pack for MMF1.5 right now (and eventually for GM as well) that can be easily integrated with any of the 360 engines. You might consider checking that out sometime... as Sonic 3 and Knuckles is of particularly large emphasis.

Hi, Riptor!

This game is awsome so far, I like the screen shots too. I can offer Paint Shop Pro skills (I'm not the best) for things like: Character Themed backgrounds (see GamerGuy's SA remix project) and, textures (2D games really don't need this as much as 3D ones do), I don't mind a good challenge from time to time. I'd also like to show you This. Its not mine (I wish I could color pictures on PC like that...) I figured since this is sonic & knuckles related, I'd show it to you. If you deside to use it in the tittle screen (not that your is bad, your works grate too.) give credit for it of corse. I can help give it transperencies if you need it, I can even do alpha blended transperencies. I also do a little 3D modeling but that about all I can offer.

anyway, grate game so far (based on the videos and screens). Keep up the good work.

Welcome to SFGHQ forums BTW!