A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

The Self-Portrait Thread - Mega-Update

StarKrafter

Nice one StarKrafter, I uploaded my portrait this time with imageshack, I should of used it in the first place but my college computer's have blocks and I couldn't access "Personal Pages", anyways here it is:

sselfportraitpe9.png

Obviously Starkrafter's beats the hell out of mine, *Shrugs*.

EDIT: Resized to fit, sorry about that.

Thanks, I used one of my friends camera phones, I agree that shading would make it look better but I'm not any good at it, I would probably mess it up, so I just went ahead and drew myself in the best way possible, next time I'll color it in and try to shade it as well.

TRD: I'm going to tell you the key to drawing self-portraits. Actually, it's really the key for drawing anything from observation.

Disregard everything you think you know about yourself, and copy only what you see. Look at yourself as though you were looking at a total stranger. Then begin to draw this person. Copy the shapes, shading, color, everything, and try and match it all as best you can to the canvas.

Also, I recommend that you draw from observation as opposed to photo reference. You get a greater sense of depth that way. What a camera catches pales in comparison to what our eyes can see.

Remember, rely on your eyes completely. Later on, you can draw from your memory and imagination, but first you must allow your mind to capture these life images. After all, we are incapable of creating anything we haven't seen.

Hope this helps. =)

Is that a request? I don't mind drawing you Epon. Of course, I'll need some specifications and a reference pic to work from. A deadline would help too. :o

Self%20Portrait%20%235.gif

Self Portrait #5

Drawn from observation & imagination

Drawn & Painted in Photoshop

I aimed for simplicity this time. Partly because someone on a different forum requested it, but also because studying for finals has me worn out. x_x

Thank you all, for the encouraging comments. :)

Shadowgoten: I like to draw other people when I get the chance. Although, I honestly detest drawing from photo references. Mostly because it's a simple copy job.. and I learn so much more from drawing from observation.

So yeah, if we could keep the portrait requests at a minimal, I'd appreciate it. Unless any of you feel like coming down and posing for a few hours, that'd be fantastic. XD

Hello again,

I'm sorry I haven't been keeping up with the portraits as of late. It's crazy, because I'm so much more busy now during Christmas break than I was during the school semester. I've been spending the majority of my time hanging out with family, friends, Christmas shopping, Super Smash Bros. tournaments (and losing at them, miserably) and with a certain special someone. :) Anyway, with all that said, I'm holding off on the portraits until the end of Christmas break.

Streak: Is this another request? I may be able to squeeze one in if you'd like, since all the portraits are aside.

shadowgoten: Thanks. I know, I really deserved to be slapped for not having a website up yet..