A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Post your screenshot thread

ila

Means a lot coming from you guys, thanks. I'm glad you like it.

Once this background set is complete I'll be submitting it to the site for free use. But that probably won't be for a long time. I'll want to make sure I'm totally done with it; it seems like I always go back and modify my backgrounds even after I think it's done.

Man Blaze, that wall explosion effect is great. You need to show us how you did that. And I love the Knuckles AI. I'm wondering why Sonic shot backwards after breaking the wall in the first half of the video though.

iceingame12.png

Ugh, more trees. Which do I get rid of?

Get rid of the ones where it's like two tree segments. If you wanna know how I did the block explosion effect...

To start:

If Flag 5 is Off on "Wall Object",
+ Set Wall Object Value A to (X Right( "Wall Object" )-X Left( "Wall Object" ))/8
+ Set Wall Object Value B to (Y Bottom( ""Wall Object" )-Y Top( ""Wall Object" ))/8
+ Set Flag 5 of "Wall Object" on.[/CODE]

This makes it so that any wall object that is available at the start of a frame or is created midway through the frame will have it's dimensions calculated and divided up accordingly in to a grid so it knows where to create the blocks/debris from.

[CODE]If Flag 0 of "Wall Object" is on,
+ Start loop "brokenblocks" for Alterable Value B( "Wall Object" ) number of times.
+ Set Flag 1 of Wall Object to on[/CODE]

You set flag 0 on to destroy the wall. The loop "brokenblocks" will also be the number of rows of debris to create.

[CODE]On loop "brokenblocks",
+ Start loop "blockrows" for Alterable Value A( "Wall Object" ) number of times. [/CODE]

Every time you move to a new row, start the loop to create a column of debris.

[CODE]On loop "blockrows",
& Flag 0 of "Wall Object" is On,
& Flag 2 of "Wall Object" is On,
+ Create Object "Wall Debris" at 14, -47.
+ Set X Position of "Wall Debris" to X Left of "Wall Object" + (8 * LoopIndex("blockrows"))
+ Set Y Position of "Wall Debris" to Y Top of "Wall Object" + (8 * LoopIndex("brokenblocks"))
+ Set X Momentum of "Wall Debris" to LoopIndex("blockrows")
+ Set Y momentum of "Wall Debris" to (LoopIndex("brokenblocks")-(Alterable Value B( "Wall Object" )/2))

On loop "blockrows",
& Flag 0 of "Wall Object" is On,
& Flag 2 of "Wall Object" is Off,
+ Create Object "Wall Debris" at 14, -47.
+ Set X Position of "Wall Debris" to X Right of "Wall Object" - (8 * LoopIndex("blockrows"))
+ Set Y Position of "Wall Debris" to Y Top of "Wall Object" + (8 * LoopIndex("brokenblocks"))
+ Set X Momentum of "Wall Debris" to LoopIndex("blockrows")*-1
+ Set Y momentum of "Wall Debris" to (LoopIndex("brokenblocks")-(Alterable Value B( "Wall Object" )/2))[/CODE]

Create debris off screen, move the newly created object to the specific row/column, set the X momentum based on what direction the wall was impacted at (Flag 2 on = Hit from the left, Flag 2 off = Hit from the right), set Y momentum so that higher pieces get sent higher and lower pieces get sent lower.

[CODE]Flag 1 of "Wall Object" is on,
+ Set Flag 1 of "Wall Object" off
+ Play Sound "Wallsmash"
+ Destroy "Wall Object"[/CODE]

With the blocks properly created and oriented based on the position of the Wall Object, you can now get rid of it.

[CODE]Flag 0 of "Wall Debris" is off,
+ Set angle of "Wall Debris" to Random(360), Quality 0
+ Set flag 0 of "Wall Debris" on[/CODE]

Makes the debris feel more... random and less organized, which is good for debris.

[CODE]Flag 0 of "Wall Debris" is on,
+ Set angle of "Wall Debris" to Angle("Wall Debris") + 4, Quality 0.
+ Set X Position of "Wall Debris" to X("Wall Debris") + X Momentum
+ Set Y Position of "Wall Debris" to Y("Wall Debris") + Y Momentum[/CODE]

Make the debris "spin". Standard momentum code for a static engine.

[CODE]Every 00"-08
& Flag 0 of "Wall Debris" is on,
+ Add one to Y momentum of "Wall Debris"[/CODE]

Make it so that it falls downward in an arc...

[CODE]Y Position of "Wall Debris" > Y Bottom of Frame + 16,
+ Destroy "Wall Debris"[/CODE]

If a piece of debris falls off screen (and they all eventually will), get rid of it.

If any of you guys played Demo 4.1 of Sonic Revival, you'll notice how I said that, "there is something mildly comical in each zone". If you still want to find them, don't click on the spoiler:

99375117eq2.png

ZFG: You don't need to make the grass flat, you could just make them regular objects with no parent, and put invisible solid objects behind/infront of them.

Thanks for the code Blaze. I'll try to figure out what in the world it all means when my brain isn't so fried. :D

ZFG, looks good, but there are two things that drive me crazy about the video. One is that you have to rev your spindash 30 times if you actually want to go somewhere. In any of the genesis games, revving spindash only once is enough to get you through a loop. Second, when you shot off the ramp in the very beginning, Sonic barely lifted off the ground. That's another thing to fix.

Otherwise it's looking good. Those are two major issues so don't ignore them.

Thanks for the code Blaze. I'll try to figure out what in the world it all means when my brain isn't so fried. :D

ZFG, looks good, but there are two things that drive me crazy about the video. One is that you have to rev your spindash 30 times if you actually want to go somewhere. In any of the genesis games, revving spindash only once is enough to get you through a loop. Second, when you shot off the ramp in the very beginning, Sonic barely lifted off the ground. That's another thing to fix.

Otherwise it's looking good. Those are two major issues so don't ignore them.

First of all, I cant fix the "barely lifted of ground thin beacuse of the gravity, and second, The spindash thing is fixed.

First of all, I cant fix the "barely lifted of ground thin beacuse of the gravity, and second, The spindash thing is fixed.

Is there some GM equivalent to flags (You do use GM right?)? I am not experienced at all with GM or GML so I'll just give you the basic idea:

If Sonic is not on the ground

AND

Sonic is not shooting off a ramp (let's say flag1 is off)

ACTION: Sonic falls.

If Sonic collides with ramp at a certain speed

ACTION: Sonic shoots off a ramp (turn flag1 on)

And at some point you would need to turn the flag off so that Sonic doesn't shoot off into planetary orbit. Just a suggestion and probably not the best way to go about it but I tried to help anyway.