A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Time-Twisted New Demo! NOW FASTER TOO!

OverbounD

Alrighty, After one long night I've managed to get another level done for Sonic Time Twisted just one zone (or act). But I happen to think its alright. The level is called Perplex Puzzle think Labyrinth. Anyway the time travel features I think are well implanted there are many time specific hazards and gimmicks as well as a few path changes; if you destroy the Robotizisor or as I've heard it called "Eggman's machine" and travel back to the future there are no enemies too.

Watch the spikes when you are Invincible I just figured that out sorry I'm too lazy to fix it right now...

Features:

-Time Travel similar to Sonic CD except only 2 time periods to keep the load on me down

-360 movement using Damizean's Game Maker engine.

-Basic Sonic system shields, rings, badniks, lives, etc.

-Hidden in each zone's past a Robotizisor

-Six Rounds with 3 zones a piece

-Seven boss battles

I could use some comments or something guys. Aside the usual help (engine, logo, etc.) I've been making almost all of the graphics myself as well as the levels and all the programing. So if you find something wrong I would love to hear about it and a suggestion or two on how to fix things. Any kind of help is appreciated. My contacts:

[email protected] which is email and msn or aim is OverXbound

Last I won't be working on this game for a few weeks. A demo release seems like a good time for a break plus midterms and stuff. But I'll be checking around here as I always do.

Demo Download Page

stt_z1_tree.png

stt_ce_boss.png

stt_z2_door.PNG

stt_z2_drop_snail.PNG

I used that tile FPS thing spike found and it sped things up even more.

• Like 1

I just had the regular checker pattern from grill hill zone but had it outlined with a lighter color of brown I think and put it through a few filters just messing around in Fireworks MX 2004 and found something that looked cool. Then recently I decided to add corner pieces which I did in Photoshop just with a light black paint brush. The rest of it is just recolored Genesis graphics for the most part.

Rael - no criticisms? you usually have some good things to say that help me make the graphics look better then again I guess they aren't that much different from before...

Not much to say other than this:

ceact1bumpspsl4.jpg

Add grass to that. If you're having trouble, I could do it for you. Just give me the tiles.

Also, with the time changes, do new paths open or new items become availabe? Maybe even new boss battles? It would be useless if it were just a background change.

That is the first act background now too for the past at least the grass is a little different colored too to match. The Sky is suposed to be at sunset still think it looks bad for being at sunset or maybe a little before? I could go for a more orange look for it I suppose...

It can get a little irritating when you run into enemies, especially given how fast the game is and how small and inconspicuous some of the robots are. Also, the rings really need to twinkle when you collect them - it's just one of those small things that bugs me in all fan games. Also, the time travel system is excellent, but the transition looks kind of cheap - could you work in some visual effects instead? It'd look so much more impressive. Maybe slow the game down to a crawl and have the transition take place among big, bright flashing colours, or something. Anything.

This is shaping up really, really well, though. Keep going.

I'll find a different background then I think...

Also while the time travel isn't going to change for the next demo the transition that takes place is temporary until I figure out what I want it to look like. The new version of the game runs a little slower (to make it a little closer to Sonic CD hopefully) we'll see if that fixes the badnik problem. And the rings they should twinkle after you get them I think it just disappears really fast I'll slow it down.

• 1 year later...
Why can't I edit the title?

In the GFD forum menu, double click on the area around the title of your topic and you can chance it.

Edit: The first levels the same as before. Pretty good design, somewhat plain, but a fine first zone. But I really like the new level. Great level design and I love the snails whose slime slows you down and I love the gimmicks. Very well-done.

The lack of checkpoints is very annoying whenever you get hit by an unexpected kill (like the first crushing spike and the lava fall). Other than that, it seems like there are a couple of places where, to get to, you have to hit it perfect and exploit strange engine mechanics (that make sense to me, but I'd imagine not to most people) to get to. That just seems a strange to me.

All-in-all, great demo.

Edit 2: I just realized, it's going quite slow for me, too. Are you deactivating all the instances outside of view?

Played, City Edge, however for some reason it lags like to 15FPS, so for sure, my laptop is crummy. (Even worse on Window mode). However I played the first level, and I say it looks pretty good. It needs more gimmicks, but I can't really talk XD. The graphics gives it a 32Bit feel, which is nice, and the music was awesome. Some glitch, that, when stand still on a curve you go down, well sometimes it goes up. So Im always walking up.

I love Past's Background, and also the badniks looks nice too. I'll play on more when my laptop isnt lagful. Then I'll post up a proper full report :)

On a nice leaving note, it was fun to play, and I am looking forward to this. Also it's in Game Maker l)

=-Amesuki-=

Sigh.. Yeah I deactivated the instance out of the room. What kind of specs do you guys have on your PCs? It requires a bit much but still 15 FPS? It runs a solid 60 FPS for me.

Few other thing I took out the lives it kind seems pointless to have one when you are planing a save game feature. The save posts I go back and forth on but I think they are going to win out. What do you guys think of that?

Also Kain I know you are quite skilled at GM if you have any other ideas for speeding things up I'd love to hear them. That goes for the rest of you too.

Mmm, it might be my laptop. Wait, I do have a code, that well in 3D, but it could be ported to 2D I guess (take away the z plain) that deactivates objects after a certain distance around Sonic, that speeds the game up by huge amounts.

But to be honest, I'm sure its my crummy 512mb laptop : (. (PM me, and I'll give you the code: (your on GM right?)

Reduce the number of instances drawing sprites. Isolate repetitive tiles in your level and turn them into large sprites instead of using multiple sprites that do the same. OR simply use tiles instead of sprites for the level.

Unless you're already doing that, of course...

Anyways, the game doesn't slow down on my computer. I'm only complaint is the rather stiff aerial physics. It becomes a chore to jump over things.

AeroGP thanks but I did that too. I think I will probably just have to go back over code and rewrite some of it to make it more efficient. Anyway I've started that already and uploaded a slight update to the demo which might speed it up slightly for some of you. Its the same link. I don't think this will be the last update like this we'll get the damn thing to run on a p2 before I'm done with it lol.