A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Emerald Ties Revival (last update 03/04 p. 2)

Gamerdude

My concern with the Sparkling Seaside shot is not the palette, but rather that it looks zoomed out when compared to Polar Peak. In PP, the walls have depth, the floor (that is to say, the snow) is large, and Sonic actually ends up looking kind of small. In SS, Sonic looks closer to a natural size, but the walls and floor look pretty flat in comparison. Making the grass thicker and the edge pillars wider (and perhaps even shading the parts of the wall texture immediately adjacent to those edge pillars) would go a long way to making the two tilesets look like they're from the same game.

(It also has issues with repetition; the trees in the background tile pretty obviously, and there aren't any decorations in the wall texture at all, but the flatness is more glaring.)

Thanks for the critique. Naoshi and Rael are having an in-depth discussion about this right now :). As far as decorations go, there will be more. There was a flower in the old SSZ, I'm sure that will make a reappearance. We won't leave the levels feeling empty, don't worry :)

Ahh, such memories here. Glad to see everything is back. Also don't mind any sprite criticisms, the Sonic sprite was perfect and still is.

Thanks ila <3. I'm glad to see you still are around :).

I agree with Violent CLM. Maybe if the foreground had some indents in it or something, it would pop out more. Plus Sparkling Seaside could use more backdrops like bushes or flowers, rather than a single palmtree.

Actually, I apologize for not noting this much sooner but the SSZ tiles are very incomplete at the moment. I've only started on them a week or 2 ago. So yeah, there will eventually be decorations to make the level look more lively and interesting.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

@Flame: Have you tried registering an account? Time Attack leaderboards still worked the last time I've checked. Hope that helps.

Awesome, I love the way Polar Peak looks and the new tiles for Sparkling Seaside :D. It's good to see this project back =P.

@Rael I actually think the old background looks better XD, maybe you guys should use both (the old one for act 1 and the new one for act 2 with a different palette for the foreground/tiles)?

If we're going to keep the old background, we should redecorate the cloud area (and redo the cloud itself) as it looks a bit... empty.

EDIT: Since I prefer consistency at the same time, we should actually use parts of the new background for the old background... I don't know. Comparing the old bg to the new bg makes it a bit jarring, especially since they both have a different style going on. (Mostly referring to the beach sand). Hmm...

The trouble I see is that the 8x8 checker detail is too small to be used as a basis for foreground. You should only use 8x8 details in small quantities in Sonic graphics, classic ones anyway. This might be nitpicky though.

On the game as a whole, I'm very glad to see this game being worked on. I missed it very much.

To Rael I hope you show me all your cool graphics n stuff. It might be worth mentioning that I'm always on skype but rarely use Aim and Msn like I used to. But I really hope you don't let that stop you from using me as a resource.

I guess this means I'm going to start signing on skype. You've gotten so good at everything over the past few years that I need to go to you for help now haha. How things change.

I'm online. I don't think I see you on my contacts list, so just message me whenever you're on. My skype username is Rael0505, like everywhere else.

Not sure if this was brought up but...

ppz_1.png

Is there an error in this screenshot with the parallax layers or is it just me? Look towards the bottom of the screen there is this grey strip. Sorry if its just 'cause its incomplete or if you guys already know about it, I just thought I'd point it out.

Super excited this is back though!

@ Snow Toilet This games been around for quite sometime. I'm fairly certain I remember playing it in 2005 so its at least been around that long.

But several years the Nexus, XG, Retro, and ETCF were seen as the cream of the crop. Anyway when those games were around it made the rest of us work want to work very hard to get to the same level, which is why there were no completed fan games for years. Its only been this past year that newer members like Lake, and vexer are changing that trend. I hope it continues.

@ Snow Toilet This games been around for quite sometime. I'm fairly certain I remember playing it in 2005 so its at least been around that long.

But several years the Nexus, XG, Retro, and ETCF were seen as the cream of the crop. Anyway when those games were around it made the rest of us work want to work very hard to get to the same level, which is why there were no completed fan games for years. Its only been this past year that newer members like Lake, and vexer are changing that trend. I hope it continues.

Everyone should be striving to make the game they want to create. I'm glad the community is evolving in such a way that people can make the games they want to make and not feel like they're bound to competing with one to make some huge game :)

I like it :) Very nice level design, in particular Relic Retreat background is really really well done.

Now, stupid question time: I downloaded the demo from the website, which is sage 08, so I assume an older one. Is there a way to put it in full screen, or enlarge the window?

There's the crappy default MMF2 fullscreen which you can activate by pressing Alt+Enter (I could be entirely wrong on this).

However, the new demo we're working on currently has a better full screen system.