A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic ATS - Released

LakeFeperd

@ZigZaX

those who never used IE and probably windows 8 users... =/

i'll see if i can find a way to upload all of those to youtube so you can just pause the game and see the animation before making progress.

lawl, I'm using Windows 8. BTS and the beta work fine for me!

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait I'm incredibly confused, how does this make any sense? lol

lawl, that confused me too. Assuming it's true, all I can think of is that modern IE sets up some directories/registries on first time run (so it can use them itself) that MMF2's Flash playing code references since pretty much every Windows PC has IE.

If that's the case: Shame on you, MMF2 Flash Player programmer, that's pretty shoddy.

However, I've never used MMF2 and I haven't used IE since Windows XP was the 'in thing'. So... so don't think I know what I'm talking about, lawl.

Active X is a plugin for Adobe Flash Player, which allows programs to run Flash files without problems and conflictions. Plus with the best/logical choice to open Flash files directly is IE(man that's weird to say), that's how IE is able to play the flash files. What probably is happening with the MAC and Linux users is that they don't have Active X updated or it's just not plain installed.

What I think you would do to open the file without IE (cause no one really likes IE) is right click the file, open with > Other/choose default program > More/Other > then find Chrome or Firefox and there ya go. (All that's after installing Adobe Flash and Active X controls of course) Since I don't run OS X or Ubuntu, I can't test that theory or give you the proper tutorial on how to do that properly.

Or you could just suck it up and use IE to run the files! q:

Active X is a plugin for Adobe Flash Player, which allows programs to run Flash files without problems and conflictions. Plus with the best/logical choice to open Flash files directly is IE(man that's weird to say), that's how IE is able to play the flash files. What probably is happening with the MAC and Linux users is that they don't have Active X updated or it's just not plain installed.

What I think you would do to open the file without IE (cause no one really likes IE) is right click the file, open with > Other/choose default program > More/Other > then find Chrome or Firefox and there ya go. (All that's after installing Adobe Flash and Active X controls of course) Since I don't run OS X or Ubuntu, I can't test that theory or give you the proper tutorial on how to do that properly.

Or you could just suck it up and use IE to run the files! q:

lawl, Mac doesn't (properly) support ActiveX (only localised versions that suck ass), that's why it doesn't work on there. Unsure about Linux distros but I assume it's the same problem. I know there are some alternatives but I suspect MMF2 is set up to specifically use ActiveX itself.

What was confusing me is that someone made it seem as if running IE ONCE suddenly made the cutscenes work. In that case, I assume they meant just running a .swf by itself, as opposed to the game running it. Windows people having problems most likely have some old crappy browser specific Flash Player install.

UPDATE DAT SHIT

Use a Windows Virtual Machine on a Mac and install Active X and Flash Player to the Virtual Machine.

Problem Solved

-----------------------------

Also, from what I've been able to tell from messing around with MMF2 (legit copy mind you), that how the cutscenes play is by Lake importing them as an animation, then Lake decides when and where the animation is to be played. MMF2, I'm assuming, requires a copy of the swf to be in the same file as the launcher when it's published, which is why we can access them in the first place.

Then again I'm basing this all off of about 2 hours of screwing around with MMF2 and reading a little bit of Lake's tutorial.

Use a Windows Virtual Machine on a Mac and install Active X and Flash Player to the Virtual Machine.

Problem Solved

-----------------------------

Also, from what I've been able to tell from messing around with MMF2 (legit copy mind you), that how the cutscenes play is by Lake importing them as an animation, then Lake decides when and where the animation is to be played. MMF2, I'm assuming, requires a copy of the swf to be in the same file as the launcher when it's published, which is why we can access them in the first place.

Then again I'm basing this all off of about 2 hours of screwing around with MMF2 and reading a little bit of Lake's tutorial.

lolyes, I suspect that's how it works. Most non-AAA games do it that way.

Guest Mr Lange

I was beginning to think I was the only one who understood the cutscene dilemma.

Yes, Active X is an interface for playing Flash files that's installed into the Windows system. IE just happens to have it, you don't necessarily need IE for it. I have no idea why it doesn't work on Mac, but apparently it doesn't, though if I had to guess I'd say it's because Mac is terrible and anyone who is using it deserves this.

The cutscenes are stored in swf files, they can be opened separately with swf players. Installing Flash (the software itself, not the plugin) gives you a standalone player, and some freeware programs exist that adapt the flash player to a media player kind of interface. You can open the swf files that way.

http://www.bannersnack.com/blog/download-swf-player/ (Windows and Mac)

Alternatively:

http://www.globfx.com/products/swfplayer/ (Windows)

http://mac.eltima.com/freeflashplayer.html (Mac)

DO NOT just open the swf files using IE or a browser. While this technically works, it uncrops the canvas and basically ruins the video. Flash videos embedded in websites contain data for the browser manage the swf so it plays correctly; without it, the browser runs it wild.

I was beginning to think I was the only one who understood the cutscene dilemma.

Yes, Active X is an interface for playing Flash files that's installed into the Windows system. IE just happens to have it, you don't necessarily need IE for it. I have no idea why it doesn't work on Mac, but apparently it doesn't, though if I had to guess I'd say it's because Mac is terrible and anyone who is using it deserves this.

The cutscenes are stored in swf files, they can be opened separately with swf players. Installing Flash (the software itself, not the plugin) gives you a standalone player, and some freeware programs exist that adapt the flash player to a media player kind of interface. You can open the swf files that way.

http://www.bannersnack.com/blog/download-swf-player/ (Windows and Mac)

Alternatively:

http://www.globfx.com/products/swfplayer/ (Windows)

http://mac.eltima.com/freeflashplayer.html (Mac)

DO NOT just open the swf files using IE or a browser. While this technically works, it uncrops the canvas and basically ruins the video. Flash videos embedded in websites contain data for the browser manage the swf so it plays correctly; without it, the browser runs it wild.

LOLMACUSERS. Btw, as you probably know, if it has an 'X' at the end, it's probably Microsoft made and Microsoft ONLY (see: DirectX vs the OpenGL master race). To my knowledge, same applies to ActiveX.

That canvas 'uncropping' thing is a pain. I used to just put a HUUUUGE black border around animations so if it uncropped, it'd look like it was in a window of its own. (however I was never very good with Flash because I'm a lazy artist that used motion tweening for EVERYTHING).

YAY MILD COMPOOPER DISCUSSIONS!

ActiveX is a framework created by MS in the 90's as means of downloading content from the web via the combination of MS's earlier COM and OLE technologies.

xD

I have yet to get fully in depth with Flash, but I do know how to work it. Same applies to MMF2, but I really need to play around more before I tackle a project... Work is really hindering me in that aspect.

It's nice to see that some people out there really do have a knack for computers and how they work... Since I am a computer tech, this is really nice for a change.

It's nice to see that some people out there really do have a knack for computers and how they work... Since I am a computer tech, this is really nice for a change.

I love you too <3

Edit: Even though you're learning Java instead of C++ master race.

Day 4

The war continues and the original purpose of the topic has been almost forgotten entirely.

I sit here now, huddled in a small dank cave, in hopes that they won't find me and that the war will end within my life time.

That said, I am low on supplies and feel I will have to venture forth in to the oncoming tides, if I wish to survive any longer.

If I die this day, let this diary live on to be a legacy of what once was. When Sonic ATS was all we thought about. Before the Cult Of Infinity came to these lands.

Let it be a lesson to future SFGHQ generations, to not fight over such trivial matters.

Good luck, traveller. And Sonic's Speed.

I'm glad I read over what was posted while I was gone. I can't stop smiling while reading this! I don't even care if it is supposed to be offensive (my cynical nature kicking in)! Anyway, its not because I'm a disciple of Lake (which I probably am) that I make so much speculation over ATS, I just find that there's a lot to speculate about, and I like playing Sherlock.

Anyway, looking forward to playing the game (any chance of a release on Sunday, before I go back to school again?), so please hurry up sound team! Oh, gawd, I need to sit my happy ass down. Lulz.

I'm glad I read over what was posted while I was gone. I can't stop smiling while reading this! I don't even care if it is supposed to be offensive (my cynical nature kicking in)! Anyway, its not because I'm a disciple of Lake (which I probably am) that I make so much speculation over ATS, I just find that there's a lot to speculate about, and I like playing Sherlock.

Anyway, looking forward to playing the game (any chance of a release on Sunday, before I go back to school again?), so please hurry up sound team! Oh, gawd, I need to sit my happy ass down. Lulz.

LAWL. Not offensive. Just a parody <3