A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Freedom Planet (v. 1.4)

Strife

tumblr_lltzgnHi5F1qzib3wo1_400.jpg

My record for Carol in the 1.1 build is 5:17:12. I find that she gets around faster if she rolls while running downhill. Also, if you remember the second waterfall where the snake boss pops out and spits fireballs, there's a jump pad at the top of that which completely skips the third log, and if you roll as soon as you hit the slope at the bottom, it can send you flying past the stomper miniboss.

I haven't beaten your time for Lilac though. xD That was pretty impressive.

4:40:04

...and it's still not quite perfect ;_;

I hate to piss on your record, but...

fp1.1record.png

I also realize that you screwed up a bit, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say that you'll end up with an even better time next attempt.

But daaaaamn, was it hard to pull it off. So many precise jumps to make and boosts to reflect. It's insanely difficult in hindsight.

Oh, and done with 1.1. Reason why I have none of the cards.

EDIT:

fp1.1record2.png

With Carol. I'm gunna go aim for 5:30 now. *leaves*

It would be awesome if we could get more people into it though.

I know there's a few people on youtube with speedruns as well.

I really like the challenge and length of this level for speed-running. Its addicting difficulty reminds me of crisis city act 1 in sonic generations, both stages are super hard, but damn does it feel great to pull of a new best time.

...Cept this stage has you fight a dick of a dragon. Twice. >:[

I also like how different the playstyle is between the two characters, making some players better with a certain character.

Huh, guess I'll need to try /DIB on 1.1 now.

I hope the extra health items don't tone down the difficulty of the game too much. I like hearing the option to kick the boulders, since I kept -repeatedly- trying to do that in the last demo which got me killed. I guess it just felt like something that should have been there in the first place.

Slo mo reset bug still exists, makes me wonder if the power up/ air swimming are still present too.

(this happened when playing as Carol but selecting Lilac didn't solve it either)

-after further testing the power up was fixed, but air swiming and the slo mo still seem bugged upon reset.

and a new bug:

pausing and un-pausing at end of level tally cause the animation to reset, but the results still tally simply causing it not to draw. Obviously not game breaking, but odd non-the-less.

Carol behaves oddly when stuck to an uneven surface, I've yet to break anything with it, but I've performed some pretty bizarre looking jumps when jumping into various celings.

imagewwall.jpg

For example, the ceiling to the right of her. Jumping from the wall towards the ladder often results in her running along the ceiling, and then up through the gap where the ladder is. This makes a snazzy shortcut, but I don't think its working quite as intended.

Gaaah, I simply cannot unlock Carol!

Why? Because I'm a raging klepto! Even if I take the most direct path I can see, my impulse to kill every enemy and collect every gem in my path prevents me from speedrunning properly, which is required to unlock Carol.

My record is around 8'30, so I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to make the threshold under 10'00, kinda like the old school Time Over being at ten minutes, with the obvious difference being that this one doesn't kill you.

FGR - Noted. Thanks! By resetting, do you mean by pressing Esc or by quitting the game and starting the stage again?

just hitting esc and re-selecting the stage, however, resetting the game fixes it for both.

and awesome times everybody. I think some sort of way to recognize everyone's times would be a good idea.

Sena you just need to think that every enemy will kill you. At least that's what I discovered....I try to fight one enemy and it will destroy me XD.

So I run. Or Fly. whichever I feel like.

EuroGamer Says hi:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-08-09-freedom-planet-is-an-indie-sonic-esque-platformer-done-right

Love how he describes dragon valley as a Green-Hill-esk stage. Because you know, freedom planet is a sonic game.

I would like to see somebody review it without comparing it to sonic, which apparently is the only platformer staring an animal ever. Of course I'm totally guilty of that comparison too.

Yeash, so many speedruns...How do you feel, Lilac?

img082.jpg

Poor poor Carol...

(I apologize for doodling Freedom Planet characters again, I've been using them to get back creativity after depression destroyed it...)

EDIT:

Lilac: So...many...speedruns... (should I feel bad that I'm glad they picked Carol this time?)

Sonic: Welcome to the world of gaming. Be glad you're (misspelled, damn) not Mario...

Mario (offscren) NOT A KAIZO! ANYTHING BUT THAT!

Sonic: Poor guy...

Lilac: -whimper- (also misspelled, what was wrong with me at that point?)

My handwriting is chicken scratch, so no worries. xD Nice sketches, by the way. Lilac is definitely not as fast as Sonic, that's for sure.

I would like to see somebody review it without comparing it to sonic, which apparently is the only platformer staring an animal ever. Of course I'm totally guilty of that comparison too.

Quoted for truth.

Rocket Knight is the second most common game it's compared to. After that, Ristar and Megaman Zero. Would be refreshing if people focused on the similarities to those games more often. :3

Demo's great. Haven't figured out how to play as Carol yet, though; I guess I have to unlock her, but I haven't really figured out how, yet. I'd guessed it was the panels (which I still haven't gotten all of), but somebody on the last page suggested it was a time attack thing? (And apparently just over 6 minutes doesn't cut it. Bleh.)

My handwriting is chicken scratch, so no worries. xD Nice sketches, by the way. Lilac is definitely not as fast as Sonic, that's for sure.

Yeah, I have no clue why I put Sonic in, other then the fact I find their interaction amusing (I imagine it as like a father-daughter relationship since this game uses Sonic Worlds =P). I probably should have used Samus since Metroid's one of the more speedrunning-loved games as well...

Hey, there's another comparison. Hell, Lilac's airdash move reminds me of the Shinespark :L