A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Freedom Planet (v. 1.4)

Strife

TailsSena - You mean Spade? Yeah, he's one of the antagonists. He uses ranged attacks as opposed to hitting things up close like Lilac and Carol.

DNL - I ran into that bug in Relic Maze, but I wasn't able to duplicate it. I think I might know how to fix it though, so thanks for the catch.

I have to agree with Serephim here.

While Freedom Planet bars a rather uncanny resemblance to the blue hedgehog's games, there's more than enough to warrant it's own recognition aside from Sonic.

But, anyway, in traditional Goshi fashion, I shall post my latest time...

[qimg]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/41172558/Photos/newfp_record.PNG[/qimg]

Uh, yeah...

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x79eyf_wtf-boom_fun

and...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B_EJ-PbViU

Well, here's the new Lilac. She still has similar proportions to a Sonic character, but I've taken the effort to better highlight how she's different from him. I've ditched the hedgehog spikes and went with a look that's a more original, attractive, and easier to draw. I'm also putting a greater emphasis on her hair tendrils, as you can see by her new rolling animation in which she wraps them around her body and uses them like a wheel (instead of transforming into a sphere like Sonic, as was the case previously).

I'll update the demo as soon as I'm able to get some new artwork for her to replace the art that's currently on our website. After that, no further changes to her design will be made.

Sprite wise, you did a really nice job, though I still think her hair looks like spikes. But I guess I'm being nitpicky on this point so whatever. The other stuff you changed for her looks good. Her rolling into a ball animation looks especially good with her long hair things

I will say, that new artwork of her you showed on the facebook page kicks ass, and I hope the rest of your "official art" looks like that. Who drew that? I hope you're going to stop paying that one dude from deviantart any more money to draw stuff for you because he draws hands really really badly.

SonicWind - I thought about it one day and realized that I could have a little fun by making enemies swipe collectable items out of the hands of slow players. There's a few places in future stages where it's really noticeable, such as a miniboss in Relic Maze Act 2 that plows through a tunnel while scraping up all the gems, and if you want them you have to defeat it. I'm also planning to add enemies that will purposely suck up/vacuum gems and life petals or break open powerup boxes to receive their effects before the player does.

TailsSena - Indeed. She's going to draw the main graphics, while R-No's sketches will be used for a 90's style instruction manual.

Also, thanks for reminding me to post the drawing here. ^_^

lilac2copy.png

Oh, I see.

And congrats, you're the first person I've seen do a gimmick where enemies steal your prizes if you're not fast enough...

Ironically though, 2 hours after I saw that, an Archraven grabbed some Munny before I got close enough to it in BBS... I was previously unaware they could, since nothing else does, and the things are never close enough to anything!

Don't know why, but I found that kinda funny.

Been following this for a while, but only just got around to making an account (though I hate to make an account for the sole purpose of posting on one topic...). This is a great thing you have going here. I like the new Lilac as well. To be honest, seeing her in motion, I could barely tell the difference between the old and the new. Might be the similar silhouettes.

Caught a few bugs some time ago while I was exploring and being all scientific with this thing, if it's not too late to point them out.

• When getting a Game Over by drowning, the Game Over/Continue? music doesn't start. (On a side note... the silence is much more unnerving than even Sonic's drowning jingle. Not that it's a bad thing; silence makes me think more of drowning than any melody ever could.)
  • Related to the results screen bug FanGameRevolver mentioned a couple of pages ago; if you select Quit when paused during the results screen and start up the level again without first exiting to the menu, your character will enter the stage in her victory pose. This even works between characters (Lilac can back out of the results to have Carol in her victory pose and vice versa), but doesn't affect gameplay.
    FP-victorypose.png
  • If the Continue? timer runs out, the game does not remember your difficulty settings. Probably has to do with the software reset.
  • If a character roll-jumps, the lack of air control passes on to all other actions until she touches a floor, even if that action would cause her to uncurl. For example, if Lilac roll-jumps and lands in water without first touching a floor, she can only swim vertically until she touches a floor... if Carol roll-jumps and attaches to a wall without first touching a floor, she cannot wall-climb properly because she can't redirect herself to the wall. Very likely the fault of Sonic Worlds.

And if we're still posting speedrun times... This is just about the best I could muster for Carol. I think it can still be improved, but I'm not sure how much.

FP-carol442.png

I'm touched that you would make an account here just to comment on the game, so thank you! Glad you like it!

If a character roll-jumps, the lack of air control passes on to all other actions until she touches a floor, even if that action would cause her to uncurl. For example, if Lilac roll-jumps and lands in water without first touching a floor, she can only swim vertically until she touches a floor... if Carol roll-jumps and attaches to a wall without first touching a floor, she cannot wall-climb properly because she can't redirect herself to the wall. Very likely the fault of Sonic Worlds.

I had run into this one myself but was curious to know if anyone else had issues with it. It's definitely a Sonic Worlds hiccup, and I'm wondering how to fix it... I'll have to spend a day to really look into the issue.

As for the other bugs, you'll no longer be able to pause during the Stage Complete sequence in the next update, so hopefully that should alleviate issues caused by it. ^^

Digging the newer design for sure! It is different enough to feel detached from the Sonic style while still retaining some of the elements of it.

However I'd almost like the beg the question with these character tweaks why the characters weren't overhauled by this point to be completely different from the source inspiration. What I mean is that by this point Lilac doesn't really remind me all too much of the character you based her off of, so why not just go with entirely original/new characters exclusive to this game? Not that it matters now since this redesign is still ace but I am just wondering maybe if trying to keep too close to Sash Lilac's 'roots' so to speak is perhaps more harmful to this in the long run.

Not saying you need to change anything else, I'm basically just pickin' your brain on that point more or less haha. Still - looks incredibly solid man. I can't wait to see where this game goes next.

Well, you know how some movies are "based on a true story," right? Well, Lilac the Dragon is based on Sash Lilac, and although I could call her my own creation at this point, I'd prefer to pay my respects to my original source of inspiration, without which this project would never have begun in the first place.

I'll be fine. ^_^ Thanks!

mi01mq.png

Pink or blue? I'll probably go with the former since it makes the foreground stand out more, but I figured I'd throw this out there anyway.

I may do a little more touchup work on the background, but for now it sets the stage nicely for a boss that's far more complex and intimidating than Dragon Valley's.

I can see everything just fine in both, but for some reason the first one seems a little too... Loud? Dunno what word I'm looking for, but the contrast is just too striking for me.

EDIT: Don't take me too seriously on that though... And also don't misunderstand, I love that you're trying to use pink, but the colors it's with just... Don't work...

EDIT2: Could also be the fact that when I look at it again, it's more purple than pink. That of course turns this into and opinion thing, since while I love pink, I really can't stand mass amounts of purple.

I can see everything just fine in both, but for some reason the first one seems a little too... Loud? Dunno what word I'm looking for, but the contrast is just too striking for me.

I can see everything fine too but I think perhaps its the shade of the pink there causing the problems. Since with the blue one, the colours on Lilac stand out a lot more. The one on the pink if you look at her body and the hair behind her - it tends to fade in quite a bit. I can see everything fine enough now but I can imagine it being a bit of a strain to constantly look at when playing. The second one is clearer overall and easier on the eyes.

Though I think Strife could get away with using the pink if it was maybe desaturated or the hue was changed a bit. IDK.