A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Freedom Planet (v. 1.4)

Strife

Carol's Wild Kick ability sounds nice. Glad she finally has a use for the Energy Meter.

And a possible "level" editor?! This game is getting better and better.

Also, two-player co-op would sound great. Knowing how good of a job you've done with the rest of the game, there's no doubt in my mind.

Thanks guys!

I'm afraid two-player co-op is beyond my programming expertise at the moment. It depends, though; I've been getting a lot of great advice from MCKaosu and Sparks with the Worlds engine, so I may be able to work something out in the distant future. I have other priorities, in the meantime, such as this...

sdljcx.png

This is just a mockup at the moment, but a level editor is surprisingly doable as long as I keep the features simple. You'll only be able to make small "break the target"-type rooms with it.

I'm not sure if it'll make it into the demo, but regardless, I should have Shang Mu Dojo and its target minigames in a playable state in the next build.

• 2 weeks later...

Version 1.2 of the demo is now released!

http://freedomplanet.galaxytrail.com/download.htm

This version has several big improvements and additions, including the following:

- Lilac's sleek new design

- Carol's new special ability, the Wild Kick

- Elemental crystals that instantly grant you a shield

- A new stage, Shang Mu Academy, that contains 18 mini-maps where you must hit all of the targets as quickly as possible

We unfortunately could not include the map editor for Shang Mu Academy in this demo as it currently has too many bugs. We're not sure if it will be exclusive to the full version as of yet, but we'll see what the future holds.

Enjoy the new and improved demo!

Really liking the new stuff. Looking at Carol's Wild Kick in action for the first time had me afraid that it would be the ultimate bane of midbosses the world over, but it's surprisingly well-balanced. Strong, but not overpowered.

Speaking of balance, I noticed a couple of things in the Academy that you might want to have a look at.

• Sometimes, when clearing the last target in a room while falling, the "Clear" text, final time listing, and "New Record" (if applicable) tends to clump together. It got really bad once in Stage 11 for me, but I've also seen it happen in Stage 3.
    FP-cluster_zps52d7e36c.png
    On a side note, it was getting pretty tough to get a good example picture of this.
  • Is the edge of the stage supposed to act like a normal wall that can be climbed or bounced from? It completely trivializes Stage 13 for Carol.
  • Are you supposed to be able to attack during the "Ready" countdown? It can only really be abused in Stage 14, but still.

EDIT: Couple of other things I noticed and didn't want to doublepost about.

• An issue I had with earlier versions of the game that recently returned to my attention. Occasionally, when using Lilac's boost ability, she skips straight to the boost instead of charging for a moment and then boosting. It seems to occur completely at random and it's always an angled shot. Worst of all, it always seems to happen when I'm trying to get a forward shot. If it helps, I use a wired XBox360 controller to play this and the pad sometimes likes to think I'm pressing up or down as well as to the sides.
  • In the Mahjong minigame, the game got stuck after I clicked on the Stop button. The pieces disappeared, but the "Win" text never appeared. The background and all the animating bits kept doing their thing, but I couldn't move the cursor and couldn't back out of the minigame. Had to Alt+F4 out. I had been playing for a while when this happened, though.
  • If you pause and quit during the silent moments when you beat the first snake boss then re-enter the stage (without backing out to the title screen), the stage music will start normally, then suddenly stop when the title card comes in. Getting to the first snake boss seems to remedy this, as does dying.
    • On that note, if you die to the boss in question, the "Act 1" boss theme still plays when you respawn at the checkpoint. I'm pretty sure it's been mentioned before for previous versions.

Finally got a chance to give this a go^^ Immediatly after booting this game up, you get sucked into it sort of like what happens when watching something good on tv. I had a lot of fun with this. The tree enemy was a really good idea..lol. I especially like certain things you did with Lilac like the way her hair fans out before she rolls and other cartoon-ish elements. I got whooped pretty good by the boss first time around, but I'm looking forward to messing with the game some more so I can play with the other player as well. Nice job man!

Thanks guys! And thanks Nonnie for the bug catches. ^^

Here's a couple of new and extremely useful special abilities I've been working on:

2m5iarq.png

Lilac's new ability is the Dragon Cyclone. It's hard to capture in screenshots, but she basically spins around like a top, dealing rapid chip damage to enemies and propelling herself slightly upwards, allowing her to glide more easily across horizontal spaces. It currently has to be charged by holding down the Attack button for a few seconds until a spark appears in the center of her sprite. I have concerns that, like Mega Man's charge shot, it would render her normal attacks moot in spite of the charging time, but we'll see how testing goes.

Carol's new ability is more of a stage-specific powerup, but at certain points she'll be able to hop onto her motorcycle and drive around. It doubles Carol's top speed so that it matches that of the Speedup powerup, but it has bad deceleration and falls quickly due to its weight. The bike can drive up walls, and jumping at a vertical wall will cause it to latch on. It's still incomplete, but it should give Carol's gameplay a nice kick.

Thanks guys! And thanks Nonnie for the bug catches. ^^

Here's a couple of new and extremely useful special abilities I've been working on:

[qimg]http://i47.tinypic.com/2m5iarq.png[/qimg]

Lilac's new ability is the Dragon Cyclone. It's hard to capture in screenshots, but she basically spins around like a top, dealing rapid chip damage to enemies and propelling herself slightly upwards, allowing her to glide more easily across horizontal spaces. It currently has to be charged by holding down the Attack button for a few seconds until a spark appears in the center of her sprite. I have concerns that, like Mega Man's charge shot, it would render her normal attacks moot in spite of the charging time, but we'll see how testing goes.

Carol's new ability is more of a stage-specific powerup, but at certain points she'll be able to hop onto her motorcycle and drive around. It doubles Carol's top speed so that it matches that of the Speedup powerup, but it has bad deceleration and falls quickly due to its weight. The bike can drive up walls, and jumping at a vertical wall will cause it to latch on. It's still incomplete, but it should give Carol's gameplay a nice kick.

If it charges similar to X's charge shot (common button hold), then you can perhaps discourage perpetual pre charging by like, lowering speed during charge or something.

That may depend on how fast the chip damage is compared to the charge time. It'll render the normal attacks moot if either is too fast, as it will make players hang back and charge for cyclones all day. At close range, a barrage of normal attacks should deal more damage, while charging may be the better idea when dealing with crowds or waiting out boss invincibility. That's how it works in Mega Man, at least.

Then again, Lilac's current attack speed is a bit slow, isn't it? The crouch kick is pretty quick, but she's no Carol and making Lilac's attacks stronger or faster might hurt Carol's main advantage over her. If I had to guess, maybe the cyclone could be another aerial attack. Lilac wouldn't need it at ground level when she can already roll, right? But personally, I do think a charge attack would be great to have in the game.

Amazing work, by the way. I completed the demo, it definitely has me hooked. Looking forward to more of this game! :D

Thanks, Alden!

That reminds me - I forgot to mention that I solved the issue of how to activate Dragon Cyclone. Lilac can only use it with a full energy meter, and she has to press Jump while in mid-air. However, Dragon Cyclone only uses half of her energy meter, so the player can use this ability more frequently than her Boost (and it reduces the recovery time in case the player accidentally cyclones when they were trying to boost).

Thanks, Alden!

That reminds me - I forgot to mention that I solved the issue of how to activate Dragon Cyclone. Lilac can only use it with a full energy meter, and she has to press Jump while in mid-air. However, Dragon Cyclone only uses half of her energy meter, so the player can use this ability more frequently than her Boost (and it reduces the recovery time in case the player accidentally cyclones when they were trying to boost).

No problem! If I find something weird in the demo, I'll let you know. :)

Well, it's a bit of an awkward cost at first, but it's great that Lilac's energy gauge has a more dynamic use now, choosing between the Boost or Dragon Cyclone. I'm guessing the latter is only usable at full energy to make it easier for the player to tell when it's ready, or to prevent overuse (I can easily see the speed power-up letting her triple jump and more).

It's also brilliant that they're activated with different buttons, that should go a long way to prevent those accidents. Besides, the Dragon Cyclone would definitely be used as a double jump by most players, especially since the Boost can't be aimed straight up. Either way, it's a great choice to have.

• 2 weeks later...

2ekn2hv.png

Carol's motorcycle has been fully implemented. She can ride it by collecting fuel tanks like these which are scattered around certain stages. I had to make the bike stage-specific because I found there were a lot of places where it felt glitchy or impractical.

Also, you may notice the small counter just underneath the Energy meter. Every time you collect a crystal, this counter will go down, and when it reaches 0 you'll gain an extra life. This should make crystals far more useful to collect.

Lastly, the rock textures in Dragon Valley have been given a much-needed upgrade to make them pop out more.

Carol's motorcycle has been fully implemented. She can ride it by collecting fuel tanks like these which are scattered around certain stages. I had to make the bike stage-specific because I found there were a lot of places where it felt glitchy or impractical.

Also, you may notice the small counter just underneath the Energy meter. Every time you collect a crystal, this counter will go down, and when it reaches 0 you'll gain an extra life. This should make crystals far more useful to collect.

Lastly, the rock textures in Dragon Valley have been given a much-needed upgrade to make them pop out more.

That's a very good way of going about the motorcycle. But it makes me think that, if the fuel pickups are stage-specific, does that mean Lilac can find them too? Or would she simply get a different kind of item?

For that matter, is the motorcycle found like the fuel pickups, or does Carol always run into it? I get the feeling it'll fit sections like the boulder dash at the end of Dragon Valley. That much reminds me of Rush Jet moments from Mega Man 8.

Still, it's great to hear about an update at last. Great work! :)

When playing someone other than Carol, the fuel tanks inactive and simply act like part of the background scenery. This is mainly so that if you're playing as Lilac, you can still discover where the fuel tanks are located and keep them in mind for a Carol playthrough. Also, Carol always summons her bike out of thin air after she collects a fuel tank.

Thanks! ^^

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, so that's why they work that way. It's genius! It can provide a neat challenge too, going up to all sorts of places as Lilac and finding a fuel tank, making the player wonder how Carol can get there. :) Though I suppose summoning the bike out of thin air means she can take it just about anywhere too, or at least show up often in a lot of self-contained spots.

By the way, I have quite a few things to report about the 1.2 demo. I have no idea how much the game has advanced since, or if other people have reported something like this in other forums. Having said that:

- This enemy can follow just about anywhere, clipping through the floor if it has to. Apparently it can use springs, too!

enemy_bug.png

- In fact, if the player dies on this pit, they can't hit any floor. So it doesn't trigger the death animation and restart, breaking the game. All the player can do is quit.

death_bug1.png

- The first mini-boss doesn't seem to actually shoot at the player, but rather right in front of them. It's good in case they try to rush the boss, but the player can literally just stand there and wait for a better chance.

miniboss_bug.png

- Carol's Wild Kick ends with a standing frame, doesn't it? Because the steam pushed her up while she was doing it and this happened.

carol_bug.png

- Slopes work when upside-down too, right? I got a weird result when jumping into this spot while running.

climb_bug2.png

I'll see what else I can find.

Sorry for the double post, but there's more to be found here. Not as huge a find today, but I got this:

- When dropping from slopes she ran up, Carol will hug the slope as if it were a wall, steadily dropping and clinging.

climb_bug.png

- Pushing objects keeps generating dust, even after they can't actually move anymore. Stopping then pushing again no longer forms the dust, though.

push_bug.png

- Walking up slopes and attacking makes Lilac chop as if she were on the ground, then fall immediately.

lilac_bug1.png

- Here's the big one. If you run into the boulder right as you reach the end of the stage, you can get pushed early enough that you get stuck between the rock and the loop. Lilac can then boost over the rock and explore the entire chase scene with the camera locked in.

boulder_bug1.png

- This one is more of an accident, but yes. The timer CAN go over 60 minutes.

time_bug.png

I think I can dig a few more details out of the demo.

Triple post... and it's a bit dry, since this could have more to do with engine limits than actual bugs in the game. In any case...

- Hits from behind don't turn the character around or shove them away from the enemy, so it looks a little weird in action.

hit_bug2.png

- The swing effects on Lilac's attacks don't disappear if she's hit while doing them. This one makes sense (and it doesn't really affect the game in any way), but I'm not sure if the effects are meant to look like this.

hit_bug.png

- Okay, this is more serious. By ending the Mahjong mini-game with a quick double match, the cursor freezes and the game gets stuck. I tried to replicate the bug several times, and I think it has to do with making the second match before the crystal pop-ups of the first match disappear. This is the result.

mahjong_bug.png

I've yet to find anything in the Shang Mu Academy, but I hope all this info helps in some way!