A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

[GM8] Sonic Dash+ Project

SuperBliz's way is horribly inconvenient. Chronic, please wait for me to get home and send you Sonic Genesis' gmk. I am certain the way I attempted it will work much better than others that have been suggested.

I hope you don't take this personally SuperBliz, but I feel like I haven't contributed enough yet and I have something that is already almost complete and is easy to port over.

SuperBliz's way is horribly inconvenient. Chronic, please wait for me to get home and send you Sonic Genesis' gmk. I am certain the way I attempted it will work much better than others that have been suggested.

I hope you don't take this personally SuperBliz, but I feel like I haven't contributed enough yet and I have something that is already almost complete and is easy to port over.

Alright I guess. It was just a suggestion though. ^^

My method, as I see it, was better because it didn't require an object to be placed. The drawing events could be patched onto the objGlobalController, the physics could be handled by the player object and the actual height of the water could be a variable - allowing for easy, real time water movement.

This is what I remember of it, but this is a method that I think works well.

I'm thinking we also need to compile a list of things we have to implement. My ideas are unlockables (with Red Rings, like Colours/Generations/Worlds Level Collab as the default method of unlocking.) and support for changing certain game mechanics at startup. For example, for Sonic 1 fangames, a variable could be set to 1. This would be checked at certain times so spindash would be impossible and so getting knocked onto a spike from another would kill the player. For Sonic 2, keep all the characters at the same speed and disallow abilities. For Sonic 3nK, just leave the characters as they are.

I'm not too sure about the second idea, but hey ho.

The rings would be easy to implement, that's not a bad idea.

I dislike the latter idea. It would be a lot of work for something that I feel is essentially useless. If you don't like tails and knuckles don't give the player the ability to change into them. If you don't like the spindash just edit the script so it does nothing. I don't feel it's something we have to cater for.

Things to implement:

-Red Rings.

-Corkscrew.

-Diagonal Springs (Delta threw me a gmk. for it but I haven't implemented them yet.)

-Water.

-Lava.

-Crumbling Platforms.

-Sky Sanctuary-esque teleporters.

-Metropolis-esque nuts and bolts.

Changes:

-Sonic, Super Sonic, Tails and Knuckles all now have genesis sprites.

-You can now die. I have not however made a game over yet.

-Sega intro and Title Screen.

-Menu is easier to navigate and to edit.

-Flippers added.

-The chute from green hill zone added but is still slightly buggy.

-Blue/Purple spring from Sonic XG added.

-Fixed signpost. Camera now scrolls to correct position and player runs off screen.

-Spindash now infront of player.

-Sprites centered correctly.

-Speed sneaker monitors added.

-Robotnik and HUD now flash not just turn white.

-Invincibility glitches fixed.

-Multiple cartoony sprites returned to Genesis sprites.

-Explosion sprites appear when you destroy badniks , not the game maker preset effect.

-External Music support. Speeds up gameplay.

-All music upgraded to decent quality MP3's.

-Diagonal Springs added.

-Various Miscellaneous bug fixes.

I have a few other minor things to do but after that I'll release it. Probably either tonight or tommorrow.

Ehh, I screwed around with that shimmy code for a while.

I mananged to extend the bar to a custom length, but it only works half the time, but it was fun.

I'm don't think it's addable-yet, just because it has some small code changes.

I've got a theory. I'm gonna try implementing sloped shimmies. And I'm also gonna try putting gravity on these slopes, so that if you go down one, you'll get there faster, and going up slows your progress.

I'll also see what I can do to add jumping to said bars.

I really like the progress that has been made. I'm sure we'll make one hell of a collab, don'tcha think?

Wow this has gotten bigger since last time I was around xD

Some real nice stuff going off here!

Also a Title Card code would be nice?

So we can name our levels?

Also a chase styled boss would be use full (Like mushroom hill boss)

It would give a bit of variety..

As for unlockables with the red rings you could have a Boss rush of everyone's bosses from there levels (If we did a Level Collab)

I can definitely whip up some kind of titlecard, might put the release on hold slightly though. Sonic CD styled?:)

I think for zone specific bosse's and red rings it'd be better if we got the engine done then started a collab and added them rather than jumping the gun a lil. It's a great idea though.

I might make a boss for the end of the act I'm not sure. Robotnik works he just doens't attack and you can't take damage. Probably another thing I should work on.

I think you should include Tails' flying into the list of actions that hurt the boss, but then again, it would be tricky getting it to work right, masks maybe?

Aside from that(but still on bosses), you should also do an example where the boss has a mask, like Oil Ocean's boss.

Yeah, I agree with not jumping the gun. We should hammer the physics and everything down before we start on it. Then we can include gimmicks that level designers need for their levels. IDK, maybe a little group dedicated to assisting (protip: NOT making) people with their gimmickry.