A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

E3 2012 (See Last Post)

WiiU is kinda neat, but eh... not feeling the new controller. It doesn't strike me as breakthrough so much as easily breakable. They haven't even gotten to a price point yet. Graphics do look impressive, but they're just barely touching the 360/PS3. I'd rather just invest in a Vita, since it will probably be able to do most of the same stuff as the WiiU when combined with the PS3.

To Nintendo's credit though, it beats the pants off Kinect.

Nintendo was definitely interesting this year.

Wii U, without a doubt, looks cool, but I was hoping that Nintendo would've leap-frogged Sony & Microsoft in the graphics department. While Nintendo's catching up with Sony and Microsoft graphically, this just isn't the right time for them to introduce Wii U. Honestly, I think Wii U should've been released 5 years ago! But of course, graphics aren't everything.

The new controller was conceptually what I thought it was going to be. Basically, it's a DS for your Wii U. This kind of reminds me of the little GBA/GCN connectivity they did earlier, but of course, you're not dealing with two separate systems, just one. One thing that I really like is the system's ability to output video to the controller. No more having to give up when someone wants to watch something else. I might just pick it up.

Another thing: Wii U sounds more like a college name than the system name it actually is... Ha, I can kinda see the jokes now...

I'd rather just invest in a Vita, since it will probably be able to do most of the same stuff as the WiiU when combined with the PS3.

I'd actually love to see Sony make that happen. I mean, you're only short of a 2 buttons, but you got the rear touchpad to make up for it. Maybe this'll see more multiplats for PS3 and Wii U.

Ahahahahah. No price point for that obviously-expensive-as-hell controller.

So it's an oversized pad with buttons and a touchscreen. Fun. And the line between the DS and Wii (or touch and point/motion) is disappearing.

It sounds interesting, and I'm sure there'll be some new franchise that will creatively use both screens element (TV and pad with different outputs), kinda like how Trauma Center used both the touch features of the DS and the pointing features of the Wii. However, the controller could count as a goddamn console by itself.

Just like some say the iPad is a "weird middle point" between a laptop and a phone, this controller is an odd middle point between DS and Wii. Let's see, you got the headphone jack, it has touch just like the DS, buttons, just like the DS, layout's the same, but with extra buttons and a second analog nub... And just like the iPad, it won't fit in your pocket.

But 3DS appears to be a separate world entirely for now, and the 3D gimmick isn't interesting. So then... what happens with this WiiuPad? Will it have its own games? Its own app store? Why not make a way to play 3DS stuff in this? I'm sure the resolution is higher than both 3DS screens combined. Or, from another perspective, having a 3DS work as an extra controller would be interesting, since it has the touch, buttons, mic, and motion control. So it's just the same as that damn pad.

To wrap up, I think it's too many devices already. 3DS is now a new target for "LOL HAS NO GAEMS", and I doubt I'll be getting a WiiU and/or its oversized controller. (it doesn't look comfortable at all btw)

Someday, I'll get a ps3+vita combo. Meanwhile I'll enjoy my kinda-new PSP.

what a load of fucking bullshit.

WiiU is the ugliest controller I have EVER seen. Honestly, worse than the Jaguar.

Overpriced bullshit. It brings nothing new to the table.

I'm so angry I can't even slate this thing properly.

Funny thing was the awkward applause when Reg announced it.

"Err... right... so it's a white iPad with DS buttons... *clap?*"

bravo to Sony. PSVita looks amazing, no 3D gimmicks, just some nicely selected components that will make games interesting and fun to play.

Maybe my prayers will be answered and this will be the year that Nintendo finally shoots itself in the foot.

Incoming shit about the controller:

1-You can play games without a TV!!11one. (no HD, also lol battery life)

2-You can use it in racing games for the rear-view mirror! (whee.)

3-Have your inventory right at your fingertips! (eh, cool but not essential.)

4-Draw with your stylus! (it's resistive, just like the DS, so you can even use a bent nail if you wish)

Having two screens in a flip-style portable is one thing. But having a separate screen in a slate at a considerable distance from the TV screen isn't gonna work. Moving back and forth would make me go insane.

In short, adding screens != innovation.

EDIT: Not sure if true, but could it be that only one WiiuPad can be used at a time? None of the images show more than one pad, and info claims "up to four Wiimotes or Wiimotes Plus" connectivity, without mentioning the pad.

So... right. *goes to see more vita info*

The Wii U looks cool but that controller is seriously flawed.

It look like those console-to-handheld projects...

sifufbcf2.jpg

I cannot imagine holding the thing for long periods of time.

EDIT: Okay it doesn't look that bad but I'm still more on the "poke with a stick from a distance" mindset than "pull out my wallet".

The PSV on the other hand...

It addresses my most prominent concern of the Wii having shitty outputs and generally lacking the muscle to get whatever interesting games the other consoles are getting, and it also means I'll be able to offload my Wii from my entertainment system. Overall I'm fairly pleased as long as it doesn't cost a fortune and as long as those controllers don't feel as awful to hold as they appear to. Hopefully it still has gamecube inputs and more hopefully, it gets another SSB game, this time hopefully one that takes itself less seriously as an adventure game and more seriously as a content-rich fighting game.

I really hope Nintendo doesn't fuck up online this time around though. I rather doubt it'll be good though, seeing how they didn't even bother to include a friggen ethernet port on the Wii.

Speaking of which, I don't like that they named it Wii U. Wii was not a good enough name that they need to do it twice. But I guess they are all about wanting to replicate the 'success' they had with the Wii.

Wii-U is a bit out there, but honestly i think it's really impressive. My general concerns are past; the system is powerful and can roll with the newer engines coming out these days. The controller is odd but im sure we'll all get over it. And while i dont care for the handheld part, the applications with the controller are very, very promising for most genre of hardcore games i can think of. It could finally give the modern FPS a kind of unique edge ive been looking for. Price is going to be the true killer here for the Wii-U, though. Im eager to draw on the faces of my Tekken 6 characters.

Vita...Sony's primed to give nintendo a HUGE run for their money this new coming hardware generation. They MATCHED the price of the 3DS with neigh PS3 quality graphics and MORE features than the 3DS itself can dish out. There's no way i'd by a 3DS over Vita at this rate...especially at an equal price....

...But the 3DS titles shown at the press conference were extremely promising, and Kid Icarus looked far better than i thought it would.

Hopefully it still has gamecube inputs and more hopefully, it gets another SSB game, this time hopefully one that takes itself less seriously as an adventure game and more seriously as a content-rich fighting game.

And BTW, Itawa confirmed development of a new Smash Brothers title that's going to be a 3DS+Wii-U kind of thing. I'm really itching for an HD Smash Brothers experience (similar to that Zelda HD demo). I can see myself awing over the Trophies just like i did in Melee.

Although i dont know what to think of it. If it's 3DS compatable, then that probably means they're gonna travel more down the road of Brawl, nuking every single competitive component they can think of.

Get over it? The controller is hideous. It's taken years to get a pretty perfect ergonomical controller (PS3/360) and Nintendo have pissed all over the idea.

Can you really picture yourself holding that controller for an hour? I can't... jesus the bloody Wiimote makes my wrist ache after half an hour and that's just during a game where you don't even have to shake the bastard.

I hope it fails... I really do.

As for the advert:

"Hey man time to watch some goddamn baseball, turn that shitty Wii off."

"No problem dude."

"What are you doing? Since when did you get an iPad?"

"Oh it's just the WiiU!"

"Weeyoowhat?"

"Yeah, basically Nintendo have just released a console that's slightly more powerful than the wii but it has a screen in the controller"

"Why not take a break and play on your 3DS?"

"I would but last time I played it I had an aneurysm. So, I'll just play on this instead."

"Oh well I'll play with you, do you have another one of those controllers?"

"No dude, you have to use a Wiimote"

• Like 1

Oh-- just something I always forget to say.

Something bothering me on all of the Mario & Sonic games.

Just...

Mario vs. Sonic on a 100m run.

Who is supposed to win? I...

I don't understand why this competition game sounds kinda ridiculous to me. Yeah, I know, it's just another olympic-themed game. But Mario having a chance to win on a speedrun against Sonic?... Uh... disappoint- no, let's just call it... pointless.

EDIT: If the characters' attributes were taken in consideration, then I think it'd be more a cheating-to-win game. Just like the special powers in All-Stars Racing.

Dude, Brawl came out over three years ago. By the time this rolls around it'll easily have been five. Compare to Blazblue, which had CT comeout about a year before CS and CS II not long after. Or Street Fighter IV which had two incremental content additions since it came out a couple years ago.

Ristar, I was going to reply to just one of your posts in a quote - and then I realized then I wanted to reply to them all in quotes...but then that would be a lot of quotes.

So I'll just sum it up for you. You sir are -

-someone I totally agree with. I am not liking WEEEEYUUUUUUU at all either. The only perk I do like is the switching from the TV to the screen, because who knows how many times I've had to switch off of the good TVs due to someone else wanting to use them for other crap. But thats it.

I was also really disappointed that even though it was the 25th anniversary of Zelda, not a lot was really shown or announced other than "yeah we're doing this, and this, and this, now lets move on". I was really sad at that because I love Zelda. While I am not looking forward to Skyword Sword (motion controls blahblahblah more reasons here) I was still hoping for...something I guess.

(hoover)Damn, all these games are making the selection of a next gen portable gaming system very difficult. I was gonna get 3DS at launch but the lack of battery drew me away, however during E3 nyco revealed battery expansions that triple the battery. But the thought of playing PS3 games (black ops on the road = awesome) on the PSV(ita) sounds cool too.

Sigh... Decisions, Decisions, Decisions...