A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

E3 2012 (See Last Post)

This thread will be used for the three major game trade shows this year; E3 (done), GamesCom, and TGS.

Edit (7/27/11): This thread will now be used for the 2011 GamesCom convention in Cologne, Germany.

E3 2011

Sure, today is June 2nd (June 3rd, depending on where you are right now), and E3 is still yet less than 4 days away, but I thought I'd conjure up this thread for when the event starts next week. Officially, E3 won't start until the 7th, but Microsoft and Sony are holding their press conferences on the 6th. That kinda makes it a kickoff for the event itself, IMO. While E3's not quite here yet, I'd like to start this thread off with one question. What are you looking forward to this year?

Personally, I'm looking forward to the following:

-Forza 4

-Star Wars Kinect (whatever it will be)

-Project Cafe

-Super Mario 3DS

-Sonic Generations (Both the main console versions and the 3DS version)

-Skarlet's debut (as a DLC character) in Mortal Kombat.

I am curious about Project Cafe but not excited for it. I am not excited for ANYTHING Nintendo this year, so I hope they have some surprises and rather than talk their balls off about how they are going to revolutionize gaming (which if they did, I think it was for the worse with all this motion control gaming) they actually just shut up and show some cool games. I guess I am not -entirely- uninterested, as always the Nintendo handhelds make me really happy so I am interested in whatever 3DS news they have. The rest? Not so much.

Which is why I am also hoping that Sony and Microsoft shy away from their motion control abominations (Kinect is much better with homebrew developers MS, so don't even bother with it anymore). I can appreciate the tech in Kinect but last year was just embarrassing. Sony's Wii-clone controllers I don't care about either. I'd love it if both these companies would just focus on the games. Also, please...no commercials this year Sony.

And yes, I passionately hate motion control gaming. It was never something I was able to get into and I hate the trend towards more and more games incorporating it, even making it mandatory.

I am however excited for the NGP. I'd love to see more on Gravity Daze. Sonic Generations I am excited to see as well, and I hope Anarchy Reigns is there - if not then hopefully another title from Platinum! I am also eager to see whether or not a new Guilty Gear shows up in some capacity now that Arc System Works has the rights to it again. More Megaman Legends 3 info would be solid.

Also looking forward to Asura's Wrath, and any other new IPs that might show up as a surprise from any of the companies. I'd love to see LOADS of new IPs this year if possible.

I want to see more about Skyward Sword....specifically a release date.

I bought my own Wii just to play it. Hopefully, it will come out soon, because I'm not sure I want to spring for a 220 V AC adapter....you Europeans/Southwest Asians with your crazy 220 V electricity.

1) HD smashbros or screw project Cafe. Also, none of that gay brawl shit. That game was hot boo boo.

2) Why is nintendo so dumb with Zelda titles? Stop making cool things on the bridge between old and new generation hardware. It just makes whatever you're doing with the Zelda game look obsolete, since it would obviously be better were it designed for the new hardware. Ports do not make this better.

3) Why the FUCK does dipshit IGNorance keep advertising for the bitch hackers who keep ruining all of Sony's stuff? This is the third time they've made mention AND linked to the site of a hacker group. It just makes everything worse, for both sony AND the victims.

4) seriously. New smash brothers or bust.

5) Dissidia 012 and Type-0 for PS3 upscaling. Also versus footage, please god. But this is E3, not TGS, so no fingers crossed.

6) Mario Galaxy 3 or new Retro Studios Metroid title for Project Cafe. I long for HD metroid.

I'm particularly excited for Nintendo's presentation this year, they've got a lot to bring to the table. I'm not very interested in their new system, if I see some sort of stupid touch screen controller I'm going to go mad...I'm sort of done with innovation I want to see a good controller, at least move up to 360/ps3 graphics, and some solid fucking games. Tired of all the innovation with new bullshit I just want to be able to game like I've been doing for the past 20 years of my life.

It'll be above the PS3/360's level of horsepower. At least we'll see new franchises / get ports of the good games.

edit: Already got an FFXIII-2 trailer. Why is Serah playable, shes like 4 feet tall.

Already looks identical to XIII, which would explain why its coming out so fast. But thankfully i saw a map screen that had more than one path on it.

Why has no on developer realised that touchscreens as controllers are fucking shite?

Because they're Nintendo developers. They'll probably claim there's some sort of "innovation" in a Touch screen pad. Frankly, I had always thought that the "touchscreen" controller was going to be like the bottom half of your DS/3DS that would be made just specifically for Project Cafe. I mean, if the thing's just going to be a touchscreen with "onscreen buttons", then Project Cafe is screwed. I fucking hope it isn't.

I have absolutely 0 interest in a touchscreen on my console, it's a waste of space on a controller, and will probably make the controller cost like $100 per controller. Blah why can't they just make a console for the sake of bettering their franchises normally like everyone else ;_;.

Yeah, the touchscreen stuff is getting annoying. Unless they do it like the NGP did it, it''s just going to get in the way. It pretty much insures the controller is going to be oddly shaped for most games.

I've NEVER cared about the Wii for the sake of it having motion controls. The only reason i've even looked in the direction of Nintendo's consoles after the dreaded gamecube (worst console decision i ever made imo, shoulda got a PS2 from the jump) is 1st party titles. Mario, Zelda, Metroid, all of the above (smash brothers). Thats it.

Project Cafe only excites me because now, we'll be able to see these franchises made in HD with beautiful graphics. And that's the ONLY thing that excites me.

I just can't get interested in anything Nintendo is doing. After the Wii, I just can't. I mean, I was so excited for the Wii and there only ended up being 4 or 5 games I ever played on it. Such a let down.

I kinda hope Project Cafe fails hard, and I'd rather Microsoft and Song hold back on any new console announcements, save for the NGP. And know what would be awesome? A My Little Pony Friendship is Magic game.

As for Serah playable in FFXIII-2, good for her, should be amusing.

There was never a time I was satisfied with the motion controls on the wii (tiger woods golf + wii motion plus came close though) it was basically shake the control for gratification. I can remember how over it I was after about halfway through twilight princess, which was one of my first game on the wii.

I for one am also hoping the cafe fails, I want nintendo to get out of this innovate for the family bs they've been stuck on for the past few years. This mentality is seeping into their games too, take Kirby's Epic Yarn for example, YOU CAN'T DIE. That game was a pretty disappointment with a few neat ideas baked in.

Originally Posted by shadowgoten

I for one am also hoping the cafe fails, I want nintendo to get out of this innovate for the family bs they've been stuck on for the past few years. This mentality is seeping into their games too, take Kirby's Epic Yarn for example, YOU CAN'T DIE. That game was a pretty disappointment with a few neat ideas baked in.

I can't understand why everyone hates this game. You know how relaxing it is to play after destroying your controller from Donkey Kong Country Returns? I played through the co-op, and it was great. Sure, you can't die, but just try to earn 100%. Not an easy thing to do.

When it comes to the Project Cafe, there are only two things that could happen. It could turn out to be one of Nintendo's greatest consels, or it can fail BAD. I like to think of the touchscreen controller as the Gameboy Advance hookup with Four Swords Adventure on the Gamecube, and I don't know about you guys, but I can think of PLENTY of ways the touchscreen can be incorporated into games.

Serephim I dont know if you're following the progress of the new SSX, but it's looking good enough eventough the survival part is there.

As far as i understood from videos and interviews, the team know that it's still an arcade racing game, so they will put the survival thing but without basing the game on that, making it be just one extra mode, or at least, I hope so...

take Kirby's Epic Yarn for example, YOU CAN'T DIE.

Someone has clearly not played Wario Land 2 and 3, you can't die in those games either, yet they were bloody fantastic. Death is not a requirement for a great platformer.

Rumors claim that the Cafe is gonna be Nintendo's big push at the 'core', said rumors include claims that the Wii is kissing third-party ass like no tomorrow, GTA5 on the Cafe... And the whole "screen controller" thing could very well be them finally getting the multi-screen local console multiplayer they've been trying to perfect since Four Swords Adventures.

Besides, going for a regular controller rather than another motion controller makes sense - they already have the Wii remote, and the Wii itself. Nintendo are rather big on backwards compatibility, so what they've got now will suffice, meaning devs can include Wiimote compatibility in Cafe games if they so desire. If Nintendo wants to release a Motion++ or something, they can always release it for both Wii and Cafe, rake in more moolah.