A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Generations Thread

Kirs

looking at the models, i really hate that sidemouth thing they have going on. I thought it was much more appropriate to give them a regular mouth like on SA2. It looked fine.

Next-gen Seaside Hill sounds fun. But in all that list is boo-boo. I wanted Lava Reef and Hydrocity. Even Angel Island (burning) would have looked amazing in HD.

Sonic Generations seems to be all about them city levels. Seriously they have five levels that take place in a city. IMO, they shouldn't have counted S3&K as one game (REALLY, GENERATIONS TEAM?), and they should have put in Marble Garden since we have the first zone of the first game and the second zone of the second game.

Demo's fun, but unremarkable. I mean yay, Green Hill Zone, really.

Played the demo.

Im actually quite impressed. First things first, the physics aren't super perfect, but they're EONS past sonic 4. This could actually pass for a Sonic 4 if they wanted it to.

1) I dont know what it is about the graphics. They're beautiful, but at the same time they're quite overwhelming on my eyes. The game doesn't seem to have any AAing going on at all, and it just feels blurry on my TV for some reason.

2) The rolling mechanic still isn't quite at Genesis level (it auto-unrolls you and you seem to gain more momentum running actually), but the point got across -- you still have to gain speed.

3) speaking of speed, sonic is fast as fuck on this game. Perhaps thats why my eyes are being overwhelmed? The full spindash just shoots sonic off at like max unleashed speed or something.

4) Level design is quite decent, i found fun little paths to take as i replayed the level.

5) The jumping is indeed sticky, but i find it's something ill probably get over. The reason seems to be because sonic doesn't jump as soon as he receives the input to. Hopefully they'll fix that (and the rolling ) before the game releases.

But honestly, even with these flaws, i dont really care. I enjoyed this demo.

And for a huge wave of nostalgia (moreso than anything else they could have done with the music or level graphics), just let sonic stand still for a while. That animation made me smile from a warm place. No, the game is NOT using a port of the genesis engine, and yes, there are plenty of tiny physics bugs present. Sonic doesn't seem to control well at all while transitioning animations, and the rolling DOES make it feel like a sort of upgraded version of the Sonic 4 engine.

But it's fun. Buyable fun. And i haven't bought a Sonic game since Sonic Heroes.

Maybe it's just because I'm currently in the middle of the E.G.G.M.A.N. Challenge, but Sereph has basically summed up all my thoughts. The game isn't perfect, but barring that somehow Modern Sonic gets messed up, I'd gladly throw down $60 for this game when it comes out this year.

Playing the PS3 version of this demo. If you leave Sonic still for a number of minutes, he sloooowwwlllyyy slides to the left while lying down. I noticed this as I was waiting to see if he'd jump off the screen Sonic CD style, but after ten minutes, er, no, he was still lying there, but to the left of where he originally started. Maybe he slowly slides off the screen instead of jumping.

Another fun bug I noticed at the start of my first go, stand still, jump, hold down while in the air and Sonic will crouch facing you when he lands, you can even spin dash towards the screen, though he doesn't go anywhere doing this.

Another bug I came across was when going though the wooden bridge area, I spindashed round the loop, and on the way round the mountain, Sonic went round the back of it too fast and, er, went for a swim? Reminds me of Sonic Adventure's glitchy whale chase, but without the whale.

I have noticed more, but I understand bugs like these are probably a part of why this demo is for a limited time only, so it will be interesting to see how many of them make it into the final game. Heck, I'm not even good at finding bugs.

The demo is fun, control still doesn't feel like classic Sonic, but that doesn't dampen my enjoyment, although the odd feel of Sonic's movement can be tricky when trying to do precise movements and jumps (I want you to jump now Sonic, not in half an hour's time!). The level is very replayable, with my fastest time just under 55 seconds (I'm sure the rest of you can smash any best time I can do). And I like the music more hearing it properly through my sound system and headphones, now whether it can change my opinion of the other crappy sounding remixes (modern Sonic's Green Hill and classic Sonic's City Escape) may be another matter, as this one doesn't sound overly different from the original Green Hill tune besides the extra funky beats in it.

I will be VERY happy if they manage to keep it to just this and day-time Unleashed-style play. Now what aren't they telling us? Where's the catch?

After the 3rd stage, every stage is a nighttime stage and you're forced to boost/roll into a permanent werehog powerup at the start of each level.....!

Yeah, there are a number of little Z-axis bugs present. I guess the genesis sonic is just a modification of the 2D engine used in Unleashed sonic. Im eager to play Modern sonic now.

Edit: yeah, thats the only thing about this game. The rolling physics...well, the lack thereof anyway.

On any given slope (one thats steep enough to force you downwards, anyway), go into a roll, get to the top of the controller and let go of the controller so sonic can roll down. Then, do the same thing, except let the controller go while sonic is standing.

Sonic gains more momentum running down a hill than he does rolling....which actually means he accelerates less while rolling. Staying in a ball on this game is so hard that I assume they dont really encourage you to do so. (You can cancel running into a spindash easier than if you wanted to cancel running into a roll.) In all truth, i dont think you ever accelerate while in ball form. If you spindash and stay in a roll, sonic will eventually slow down to a stop, even after going down hills.

That's my only complaint -- no more "pinball" physics. Sonic still is gaining momentum, but just at the wrong times. The roll is more of a means of attacking instead of gaining speed now. If they added better roll physics and removed your ability to basically spindash cancel, this would be as close to a genesis game as they could get. But yeah, i finally figured out the only odd feeling thing about the game. It isn't the jumping, it's the fact that i can't roll for speed anymore.

It's more the recreation of the stages in beautiful 3D art that's more appealing to me than just the fact that i get to play the stage over again.

I never really cared much for Sky Sanctuary as a stage. But im excited for it, because i know it's going to look amazing to play through, because Green Hill was amazing to play through.

I mean...

Dats sum serious eye candy.

Anyone know if this game will go by Acts, or does Act 1 / Act 2 count as classic / modern?

Edit: slowpoke.jpg, that truck in City Escape is fucking ridiculous.

I like the demo. Though I feel like sega is more keen on sacrificing good level spacing for the OMG SONIC IS FUCKING FAST feel, it's been their MO since the rush games, I guess we have to get used to it.

One addition I am absolutely thrilled about is the on demand spin dash button, so useful and feels like it's an actual progression of the genesis era. Yes there is a bit of stickiness and I hope they do fix that, but so far I'm actually impressed with what's been shown.

I'll be honest, I'm mostly in it for the music. That has something to do with the fact that I have no consoles on which to play the game, though. Fingers crossed I can afford a used 360 by Christmas or so.

But yeah, I can't stop listening to the "modern" remix of GHZ and the "classic" remix of City Escape. They're so good. <3

The middle of the song! It's... it's making me... I think I'm gonna... AAARRGGHH... change the lyrics!

This'll spoil Portal 2 right here... and what little dignity I had left.

Whoo!

Oh yeah!

Warping around turning upside down.

Got places to go, carrying a potato.

Can't stick around, not with repulsion gel.

Escape Aperture? Only one way to go, Chell!

Must keep on movin' ahead, no time for guessing or it's certain death.

Trusting in your old enemy, take his tests, I'll set you free!

Carry me, defeat Wheatley

Trust me and you will escape the facility.

You'll make it through, carry me.

Carry me, defeat Wheatley.

You'll make it through with a portal or twooo! Carry me! Oh yeah!

Turrets are lurking around every turn.

Trust your feelings, got to live and learn.

I know with some luck that you'll make it through.

Got no other options, only one thing to do.

I know there's chambers ahead, no time for guessing, follow my plan instead.

Find solutions no matter what they may be.

Take his tests, I'll set you free!

Carry me, defeat Wheatley

You'll make it through, carry me.

Carry me, defeat Wheatley.

You'll make it through with a portal or twooo! Carry me! Carry me!

*Goes and sits in the corner*

Not really, the 3DS version is stated to be taking stages from the handheld games. I'm guessing that includes the Advance and Rush series. Probably Colors.

I think I quite enjoy the music so far. I really dig the Sonic Heroes menu >_>

Yes, I know. "There will never be another chao garden. Get over it!" While that is true, i have some info you might want to know about.

In a e3 interview for Gamespot, Sega stated "The 3DS version will have chaos emeralds, but the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions will have something else" or something to that effect, in this video:

While that can be open to interpretation, I have come across something that might make you guys happy. I thought to myself "What thing has Sega done or could do that could replace chaos emeralds in a similar manner?", I came up with 3 possibilities:

Experience/shop

Achievements(this is probably a given anyways)

Chao Gardens

Think about it! In sonic adventure 2, you could collect Chao Garden keys, similar to how you get the chaos emerald keys and 50-ring chaos emerald special stages. In sonic adventure, there were neither, but there was a chao garden. This is my theory. What do you think?

excuse if this is in the wrong place