A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Generations Thread

Kirs

Not seeing it anywhere on the PSN store here. Kind of a let down, really. I haven't been able to get my JP PSN account up to date with the whole password dealio, so I'm checking XBL.

Edit: Downloading the 360 demo. If it has no 60fps, then that's just a slight drawback. I've got lowered expectations for the demo after seeing your guys' feedback on it.

Edit 2: Downloading the PS3 demo. Woo, comparison time.

Just played the PS3 demo. Last I checked the framerate has been about the same on all platforms, so I'm not sure what Candescene are getting so uppity over.

Anyway first time through was a bit of a mess, second time after I adjusted wasn't so bad. The big thing for me is that Classic Sonic moves a lot faster than the Genesis games, so it feels like a lot more crap comes out of nowhere. Rolling on the ground is a bit awkward, and there is this sticky feeling when jumping. It's not a game breaker though. Honestly I'm looking more forward to Modern Sonic's levels anyway.

Just played the PS3 demo. Last I checked the framerate has been about the same on all platforms, so I'm not sure what Candescene are getting so uppity over.

I'm not getting uppity over anything, I'm just saying "the PS3 version might've gotten the shaft? Big surprise there."

If I actually get this game, I'm gonna get the PC version anyway... If there's a sale on Steam for it that's at least 50% off, because the modern Sonic gameplay ain't worth my money.

I'm not getting uppity over anything, I'm just saying "the PS3 version might've gotten the shaft? Big surprise there."

If I actually get this game, I'm gonna get the PC version anyway... If there's a sale on Steam for it that's at least 50% off, because the modern Sonic gameplay ain't worth my money.

Over half your posts contribute 0% to this thread man, chill the eff out with the negative vibes.

The only issue I had was that I had to adjust to the timing of the insta-spindash button or whatever. I got used to the jump and the way Sonic controlled. TO ME, it felt largely like the classic games with a heavier jump and a spindash button. But yeah, it takes a second for the instant spindash button to rev up (as I think it should, its not a boost button) and once I got used to that it was all gravy.

I do admit though there were a few times where out of habit I tried to homing attack stuff haha. But after a third playthrough I felt right at home. I was getting some crazy speed.

In otherwords, I loved it. The graphics were so beautiful too. Granted I am only playing on a crappy old standard TV, but they looked amazing to me anyway :x. I also love the music :D

I do admit though there were a few times where out of habit I tried to homing attack stuff haha. But after a third playthrough I felt right at home. I was getting some crazy speed.

Gah, this. Sonic 4 did disorient me a bit, but I got used to Generations' play style. xD

One only thing I really didn't like either was the insta-spindash that would instantly stop you, even on a loop, but overall, it was a pretty good demo.

Over half your posts contribute 0% to this thread man, chill the eff out with the negative vibes.

So, just because I'm not all sunshine and rainbows I don't contribute to the topic half the time? (I save the sunshine and rainbows for ponies.)

I'm not here in this topic to be optimistic, I got burned by Unleashed and Colours, and I'm not making the same mistake a third time. In my eyes, half of Generations will inevitably suck due to the inherent issues in the Unleashed formula. I'd try out the 360 demo, since it lacks modern Sonic, and the classic Sonic gameplay reactions have been somewhat positive, but I don't have an XBox Live Gold account, and I'd rather just wait for Meet the Medic, which is also being released today, by the way.

Ironic, when I get home from TAFE, I'll be spending Sonic's birthday playing TF2 thanks to the new update. It's like Valve WANTED to upstage Sonic on his own birthday.

Played the demo. It's... okay. It's not really as great as I expected, to be honest. Classic Sonic is WAY faster than he ever used to be, so it's a little crazy at times. The spindash just isn't itself anymore, since you don't have to stop, rev it up, or even crouch. It's too powerful, you basically can just hold X for a second no matter where you are to get a massive speed boost. Other than those things, though, it's pretty solid. The level design is fantastic compared to other recent games! Even for being the first act of the entire game, it still has multiple paths to take and plenty of different kinds of areas.

What I find interesting is that...

...Crisis City, one of the levels from Sonic 2006 is making an appearance in the game. I thought they were trying to sever the ties from that game. I suppose those 06 lovers will like that. :/

Edit 1: I just played the 360 demo. There's no 60 fps, but I'm fine with it. The controls were a tad disorientating at first, but I got used to them pretty quickly. Also, what I didn't notice until I played it later was that you can press down and A (x on PS3), which was pretty neat. The visuals were gorgeous, although some of the textures (at least, when you slowed down to see them) were just kinda iffy. Overall, it's alright in my book, and I'm hoping that July 12th brings another demo, one that has Modern Sonic, be it any level. Now I'm going to play the PS3 demo.

Edit 2: The PS3 demo needs improvement. Playing with the d-pad is tricky. Sonic feels like he's gained a ton or something. Sure, you got the momentum, but it's just not feeling right. One thing that I think really needs to be fixed with Sonic Generations is, coincidentally enough, the momentum. Not just on the PS3, but the 360 as well. Instead of staying curled when wanting to build up momentum, you uncurl midway and it just slightly ticks me off. The 360 version is better in my eyes.

I'm not feeling this list. Not at all.

Sorry SEGA, but you'll have to do better than that to tug on this nostalgia whore's nostalgia cords.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Sky Sanctuary Zone, but when you get right down to it, out of context it isn't a very good level and it rehashed four bosses, three of whom have been rehased what seems like a half dozen times throughout the life of the series. Then you get to the level itself and it's a fairly bland affair, meant strictly to be a breather level to follow the event level which followed the pain in the ass duet known as sandopolis and lava reef, any of which would have been much greater choices in my book. I also think they should have pretending Sonic 2006 didn't exist and instead had thrown in either Ice Cap or Launch Base (preferably Launch Base since it was moderately challenging). If they can pretend Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic and the Secret Rings, and Black Knight didn't exist, they could have done the same with that abortion which had more horrible in it than all three of those combined distilled only to their worst parts.

But that's enough shitting on the nostalgia blankets for now.

EDIT: @Spike: Having a list of levels that are all levels you've already seen in games before is about as spoilery as knowing that Sonic is in this game. Get over it.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Sky Sanctuary Zone, but when you get right down to it, out of context it isn't a very good level and it rehashed four bosses, three of whom have been rehased what seems like a half dozen times throughout the life of the series.

And suddenly you realise why they put the level in Generations in the first place.

I haven't even been keeping up on what people think of this game. However I myself have now played the demo it suffers from poor uncreative level design and physics bugs. The graphics are alright but its just Green Hill Zone again. The level reminded me more of Sonic 4 than my Genesis.