A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Zero Beta. Newest on first post.

Aikocho

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What am I critiquing exactly? The corkscrew or the graphics?

Corkscrew is pretty damn clean. I tried it in a number of ways and it seemed spot-on every time. Kudos.

The foreground graphics look clean. Too clean. You need details, ornaments, doodads, and something other than tiled rectangles.

Background looks pretty, but I'm not sure of the origin, so I'll talk about that if you say you want me to.

What am I critiquing exactly? The corkscrew or the graphics?

Corkscrew is pretty damn clean. I tried it in a number of ways and it seemed spot-on every time. Kudos.

The foreground graphics look clean. Too clean. You need details, ornaments, doodads, and something other than tiled rectangles.

Background looks pretty, but I'm not sure of the origin, so I'll talk about that if you say you want me to.

I'd say more the corkscrew, and the style of the music.

The front tiles are just there for a genuine test stage, but there are a lot more tiles than that now, and... The pattern makes it hard to make accurate indents and bevels. I wanted someone else's skill since my skill is just not appealing as it should be.

I see you made it so that when you jump in the cork screw, the angle is calculated as though you were jumping from the angle of your position on the cork screw. Good catch. A lot of people make this gimmick and just have jumping work as normal.

As for the music, it's good. I don't have a whole lot more to offer than that. I'm not the best person for music advice.

I see you made it so that when you jump in the cork screw, the angle is calculated as though you were jumping from the angle of your position on the cork screw. Good catch. A lot of people make this gimmick and just have jumping work as normal.

As for the music, it's good. I don't have a whole lot more to offer than that. I'm not the best person for music advice.

Understandable. I really thank you for giving me some nice C&C thus far.

You forgot the part where I'm not enough man power to sprite half the zones

*runs*

help us plz ;-;

. . . .

Oy. Fine then. Need someone to help sprite out the zones. I'm not proud of it, but I do. I needed someone's help on that field for a long time, but I convinced myself that no one will be interested at all. I was convinced before SAGE last year, still convinced today.

So I'll pipe down with this. If no one wants to help, that's just fine, but you'll NEVER make me give up on my own project. Worked on it since the early fangaming years, and even after all the spam I got from the older members, I still continued.

Blahblahrantrant~

What the hell are you talking about?

You know, the amount of people around here who can actually sprite a level out is so low that finding someone who can do it is the equivalent of running into a herd of unicorns. Most of the ones around here are actually just cleverly dressed donkeys with paper mache stuck on their heads. By that I mean you'll probably have to rely on the same trick most do and just mix, match, and recolor parts of existing stages.

What the hell are you talking about?

You know, the amount of people around here who can actually sprite a level out is so low that finding someone who can do it is the equivalent of running into a herd of unicorns. Most of the ones around here are actually just cleverly dressed donkeys with paper mache stuck on their heads. By that I mean you'll probably have to rely on the same trick most do and just mix, match, and recolor parts of existing stages.

Around here, yeah. There isn't as many folks here honestly. But I'm trying to say is that I want the look and feel that most of the good fangames had. And the only other way I know to do that is to get help from someone who knows. Remember Sonic XG, Nexus, Retro Sonic, Emerald Tides? They may have done the same trick, but they all have such uniqueness to them. I just don't know how to top that myself yet, and I have little knowledge of how Sonic Levels are supposed to be mapped out.

• 3 months later...

I sorta considered reverting that to the normal jump to make it easier for the player to exit the corkscrew by jumping, since for some people it may be awkward that they suddenly jumped downward when they expected to go up and over an incoming ledge. But hey, maybe it wasn't so bad of an idea after all.

I sorta considered reverting that to the normal jump to make it easier for the player to exit the corkscrew by jumping, since for some people it may be awkward that they suddenly jumped downward when they expected to go up and over an incoming ledge. But hey, maybe it wasn't so bad of an idea after all.

Another option is stagger the phase of by 90 degrees so that your peak jump strength is when you are on the sides (if you are running up, you jump higher, if you are running down, you jump downwards) and your minimum jump strength is at the peaks and troughs. Might be a little more sensible now that I think of it.

• 3 weeks later...
Not bad, but it's not Genesis style.. and we're trying to use more Kukkus than badniks. Thanks though! :awink:

We'll have to see what Kaosu thinks though. :V

Throwbacks from the very inspiration of the game is a plus, Sparks. Besides, I pretty much have the genesis style down pat.