A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Zero Beta. Newest on first post.

Aikocho

This time I played through the demo without getting stuck.

This is weird, but I'm sure you know:

image9ig.png

Also, the water beam from the boss was a bit(2 pixels) off, depending on the boss movement.

image8m.png

For some reason I found that very noticeable. I'd also suggest some charging animation(flashing lights or something) to accompany the charging sound. Otherwise the boss felt solid.

The level felt large, was good-looking and kept me entertained. Played through as Sonic and Tails. Also, beautiful sprites for them.

Listened to all the songs in the sound test. I assume they're all original. Not only do they give the retro nostalgia feel, some of them are actually quite catchy, so good job on that.

I don't have much to contribute with when it comes to building your team though, as I'm quite the lone wolf and I'm not even that involved in the fangaming scene. I imagine recruiting good people must be very difficult.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear that about your project dude, I honestly wish I had the time to pitch in a bit and help you out with it, but I barely get the time these days to even do the things I love doing thanks to college ramping up hardcore on me.

However, I do wish you the best of luck in finding some excellent people to bring onto your team!

And by team you mean Larkss and Sparks? Did you two quit/stop helping?

They're still helping me still, witch I'm thankful for. But I'm talking about others outside of just them. I have a few sprite artist helping, but they might quit the project if things get too busy for them.

I know this isn't a sprite forum or anything, But I'm just asking for connections. Like if anyone knows anyone or anywhere I can go to try and find more willing sprite artist.

Time for a big review!

First I have to say that I'm really impressed with it, there's a lot of potential here, it just need some improvements and will be near perfection.

Physics / Gameplay

The Worlds engine was very well used, it's almost unnoticeable that it is being used, except for the big title card in the beginning. I loved how you revamped the idea of the golden shield from 3D Blast, this is how homming attack should be done in a 2D Sonic game. For some reason, spindash don't seem to match like the old games, it seems slower to me. Also sometimes I can get stuck in walls (act 1, the pipe in the wall), and items get stuck in walls too, like a 10 Ring Box in act 1. Except for that, everything is ok for me.

Graphics / Level Design

The sprites are just great! And I like the Triple Trouble feel that the entire game has, but I thought the foreground was too simplistic. But it was said in the posts before and I've seen that you're looking for help in this point, so I don't need to criticize it. My only big concern is about the level design: It's too linear, and forcing holes to be the only way available - specially those that leads you directly into water - is not cool. The other parts has lots of variety and this is good, Knuckles having his own paths is also very good, but anyway I think the whole level design should be rethought.

Music

The music is freaking awesome! There's nothing else to say, awesome is the right word. About sound effects, I just think the spindash sound could vary the pitch like in the genesis games, but that's not like the game is ruined because of it.

Overall

With some improvements, the right graphics, the same sprites, the same music, and the same creative minds working in this project this can be one of the best fangames ever. Can't wait to see more progress!

I just finished playing the demo and was really impressed. I love the custom sprites for Sonic. I hope that you will also make new sprites for Tails and Knuckles because that would really make the game feel original. I also like the Sonic Triple Trouble feel the seems to have. This game is turning out to be one of my favourites so keep up the good work.

My only big concern is about the level design: It's too linear, and forcing holes to be the only way available - specially those that leads you directly into water - is not cool. The other parts has lots of variety and this is good, Knuckles having his own paths is also very good, but anyway I think the whole level design should be rethought.

This is why I think that Generic Garden Zone has more of a "Zone 2" feel to it. As I said before, I think it'd be neat if there was a different zone before it in order to break the tradition of Green Hill-esque levels always coming first, but hey, it's not my call. Totally up to the level designers. :3

Anyway, I had nothing better to do today, so I took a crack at an original Tails sprite:

strifetails.png

The Sonic sprite on the right is from the game, for comparison. It's been at least a year or two since I drew something shaded. xD;

I love it.

For some reason, spindash don't seem to match like the old games, it seems slower to me.

Second time I've heard this comment, yet last I checked the spindash uses the same strengths from Worlds, and I'm pretty sure Worlds got the proper strength values from the retro physics guide. I'll have to check to be certain when I get the chance.

This is why I think that Generic Garden Zone has more of a "Zone 2" feel to it. As I said before, I think it'd be neat if there was a different zone before it in order to break the tradition of Green Hill-esque levels always coming first, but hey, it's not my call. Totally up to the level designers. :3

Anyway, I had nothing better to do today, so I took a crack at an original Tails sprite:

[qimg]http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/504/strifetails.png[/qimg]

The Sonic sprite on the right is from the game, for comparison. It's been at least a year or two since I drew something shaded. xD;

It's really not a bad try. But I can see the Sonic Advance'ness a tiny bit. If you maybe re-shade the white parts: His gloves and his muzzle, And Eliminate the blue eyes, it would be much more accurate to the Sprite Style Sonic has.

Also, For anyone else that still reads, I'm looking for some beta testers. For the most part, they need game controllers of any kind.

It's really not a bad try. But I can see the Sonic Advance'ness a tiny bit. If you maybe re-shade the white parts: His gloves and his muzzle, And Eliminate the blue eyes, it would be much more accurate to the Sprite Style Sonic has.

Also, For anyone else that still reads, I'm looking for some beta testers. For the most part, they need game controllers of any kind.

No problemo. ^_^ How about something like this?

strifetails.png

Also, I'm not sure if I should be hijacking the thread with continued Tails spritings, so lemme know if you prefer another method of communication.

No problemo. ^_^ How about something like this?

[qimg]http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/504/strifetails.png[/qimg]

Also, I'm not sure if I should be hijacking the thread with continued Tails spritings, so lemme know if you prefer another method of communication.

hey, anything constructive you got for us, please share here. Anyway.

tails_sprite_test.png

This is kind of how I edited it. I wanted to help you understand a tad more of what the style is, more or less. Forgive me if I've done wrong though. But eather way, I wonder if you're willing to do more? What you got is rather good, and I don't mind helping you with it.

hey, anything constructive you got for us, please share here. Anyway.

[qimg]http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Sonjoban/screenshots/spritesheets/tails_sprite_test.png[/qimg]

This is kind of how I edited it. I wanted to help you understand a tad more of what the style is, more or less. Forgive me if I've done wrong though. But eather way, I wonder if you're willing to do more? What you got is rather good, and I don't mind helping you with it.

Awesome! =D Yeah, I'm willing to do more.

I can definitely see the difference in that edit. Adding an extra color to Tails' orange palette certainly helps. ^_^ I have his standing/walking animations drafted out, but I haven't applied the new shading to it yet:

strifetails.png

I figured that an animated stance would give him that "bounce" that's present in SZ's Sonic sprite, but we'll see. What I could probably do is make two versions of the sprite; one with my shading style and one with SZ's style.

hi I have like five different game controllers, including a flightstick and a racing wheel

do you want me to see how this game controls with a racing wheel?

Awesome! =D Yeah, I'm willing to do more.

I can definitely see the difference in that edit. Adding an extra color to Tails' orange palette certainly helps. ^_^ I have his standing/walking animations drafted out, but I haven't applied the new shading to it yet:

[qimg]http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/504/strifetails.png[/qimg]

I figured that an animated stance would give him that "bounce" that's present in SZ's Sonic sprite, but we'll see. What I could probably do is make two versions of the sprite; one with my shading style and one with SZ's style.

Do you have any other ways of Contact, Strife? Please sir. We need to talk about this sprite before it gets too far ahead. Is that alright? pm me.

As for everyone else, I will bundle up a test exe in the mean time. I'll only link those who are offering with controllers.