A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Virtual Console decision

toaster1

It wasn't really an argument. I'm just pointing out that it's a nice convenience to be able to play a Sonic game without having to deal with any extra stuff. Yes, it's extravagantly lazy, but I found myself playing Sonic 2 far more often with it sitting on my Wii as a channel than I did having it available in dozens of different forms.

Of course, then I got homebrew and I began to have both convenience and price.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Overbound, don't be makin' stupid comments. I mean, seriously, it's obvious he started preferring downloadable titles when they became available. If the luxury exists now, and you can afford it, why give it a pass? I would personally go with Worm's method, but what DW said isn't unreasonable. Sheesh... The stuff some people get riled up over.

Leave DW alone, he's been pretty awesome the last few days.

DW is pretty awesome I'm not arguing that. The point is if that's a problem what about all those games that are on discs only? I think you're need to chill out a little Rat. I think its pretty obvious that I wasn't seriously thinking DW had never played Video Games I was just referencing the frame of mind. Sort of like tentril did with his internet comment even though I don't think that makes much sense in this context.

It wasn't really an argument. I'm just pointing out that it's a nice convenience to be able to play a Sonic game without having to deal with any extra stuff. Yes, it's extravagantly lazy, but I found myself playing Sonic 2 far more often with it sitting on my Wii as a channel than I did having it available in dozens of different forms.

Of course, then I got homebrew and I began to have both convenience and price.

When I say argument I mean it in the best sense of the word. Just to stress the fact that you think one way and I think another. At any rate I have the Homebrew channel too which works. Are you using the HBC to play them on an emulator or are you doing it eh... the other way? Personally even though I have that option I still use my SMC disc.

Actually, this argument is valid as far as the rest of the world is concerned. Heck, it's the only argument people have against the PS3 not having backwards compatibility.

My argument against the PS3 not having backwards compatibility is the fact that PS2's are cheaply put together and die within a few years. Mine is dead and I refuse to pay for another one AND ever buy a PS3 somewhere down the road, it's either one or the other.

edit: and I say it's either one or the other just because there's no reason for all PS3's to NOT be backwards compatible, it just doesn't make sense.

wait if you purchase SnK and you have 3, does it interlock the 2 games for you? Because that would be a HUGE waste of your money if it didn't : \. Honestly you shouldn't even play 3 without SnK attached, you'll just be going through those levels again.

S&K interlocks with Sonics 1, 2, and 3. S&K is worth the purchase. I've yet to buy it on my Wii.

Sonic 2 is by far my favorite. Sonic 1 for some reason is incredibly challenging, and Sonic 3 - I think I've complained about it before, on sprite forums - it's art direction seems to be going a different way to the classics. Everything is much more detailed, which seems nice at first, but just overloading when played. However, I'm not giving up on it - I like the level design, so that's what matters.

Sonic 2 is by far my favorite. Sonic 1 for some reason is incredibly challenging, and Sonic 3 - I think I've complained about it before, on sprite forums - it's art direction seems to be going a different way to the classics. Everything is much more detailed, which seems nice at first, but just overloading when played. However, I'm not giving up on it - I like the level design, so that's what matters.

S3&K is a fucking classic, though 2 holds a special spot, being my first sonic game and all.

I really dont know why sonic 2 is my favorite of the series. The music was amazing, the stages were great. Perhaps its because it actually was the first Sonic game i played? I was always a Sonic fan (at that point, a Sonic 2 Fan) But my love for the game REALLY exploded when i stumbled around and found out about Hidden Palace Zone / Sonic 2 Beta. That was back around the time when Dial-up and AOL Trial Discs were the only internet source for me, Sonic Hoaxes were actually fun to go through....man, back when videogames were all so interesting, really. Looking at the screenshots of Sonic 2 Beta gave me such a longing to find out about the secrets of the game (and the others) that i researched it enough until i stumbled across the very first emulator i'd ever used, Genecyst (I believe it was called). Yep, i'd say Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is the whole reason i went into Emulators and eventually fangaming and game design. It kinda jumpstarted it all for me.

S3&K is a fucking classic, though 2 holds a special spot, being my first sonic game and all.

I'm with you here. I also really enjoyed the shift into the Sonic 3&K art style, plus the levels are massive and while they aren't as suited for speedruns imo, they are much more fun to play. I was just playing a crapload of it on my Xbox for the past few hours. I've got like...40 lives or something and a score over 1 million so far...though I will admit about 300k of that came from Launch Base cause I was quickly having a snack and I abused the little siren things for a quick minute or two.

I was just playing a crapload of it on my Xbox for the past few hours.

lol I've been playing it on Mega Collection. Have a save with the game beat as all three characters with super emeralds, and I'm working on regular emerald files. I remembered Knuckles' final boss being way harder and extremely epic.

Sonic 3/Sonic and Knuckles was the shit. I love it more than Sonic 2 and even Sonic CD). I wish peolple hacked Sonic 3&K more than Sonic 2 or Sonic 1.

Sonic 2 was hacked more because there was alot more stuff on the cartage to get out than the other ones. Hell, there was an entire level in the data that never appeared in the game. (and it was quite pretty too.)

I will never understand people who think Sonic 1 is hard. Its like the easiest game next to Sonic CD. Does anyone find Sonic CD hard too?

It was considerably more difficult than the other ones. Perhaps to me because spindash isnt possible on Sonic 1, but the game in general seemed more difficult.

Its not the only one, though. Sonic 3 and Knuckles wasn't really that hard until the very end, and even then the game was never that difficult. Challenging, yeah, but never just straight difficult.

Sonic 2, on the other hand, still remains one of the most difficult of the genesis series to me. Have you guys actually ever tried getting all the chaos emeralds without the soundtest cheat? The special stages got exceedingly difficult as you progressed. Also, the final stages of Sonic 2 got pretty damn tedious. Metropolis Zone got tons of cheep kills out of you with the star thingies and those BITCH ass mantis badnicks, not to mention boss was damn annoying if you didnt catch on before you ran out of lives.

I do miss games giving you tons and tons of extra lives just to have you waste them all on the final stages. Sonic 2 and Sonic 1 still does that to me. (granted I dont actually end up getting Supersonic by the end of Oil Ocean.)