A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic 4 Thread

Slingerland

didn't Angel Island have a zipline? the speed pad is definitely a legitimate complaint but I'm actually happy to see a zipline. It's just weird that it's going straight to the right instead of downward. I don't see how Sonic is supposed to build momentum that way.

Yea it had a zipline but it fit a lot better into the level because it was a rope with wooden handlebars or something so his argument's kinda valid. It's like one of those slider things in the park- it'll slow down eventually. Presumably you fall to a lower path if you don't make it across. Probably automated.

didn't Angel Island have a zipline? the speed pad is definitely a legitimate complaint but I'm actually happy to see a zipline. It's just weird that it's going straight to the right instead of downward. I don't see how Sonic is supposed to build momentum that way.

You ever been to a playground with a horizontal zipline? They really are like that. It preserves your speed rather than speeding you up really.

The reason it doesn't fit here isn't because its a zipline, but because it looks like the kind that you'd find on a playground. The ones in Angel Island Zone were made with rope and suspended from trees. It played a whole lot more off the nature angle, which is appropriate for an outdoors level.

It might just be a copy of the zip line things in Launch Base Zone.

Damnit, I was gonna say that haha.

The reason it doesn't fit here isn't because its a zipline, but because it looks like the kind that you'd find on a playground. The ones in Angel Island Zone were made with rope and suspended from trees. It played a whole lot more off the nature angle, which is appropriate for an outdoors level.

I dunno, I think even star posts and other such objects look a little out of place in some levels of the classics too. While it isn't quite the same, they are more playground-esque as well. But I do see your point.

Yes, I agree. In fact, one thing I've wanted to see for a while now is having level-specific theming for all of the basic objects in a game. We had a contest for the checkpoints in particular. I'll see if I can't refer you to the results of that contest. http://www.sonicfangameshq.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2902 Major ouch on that one. Seems a lot have been pruned.

If they put those stupid as hell enemy-bouncing-chains in though, I'll be pretty irate.Kinda weird to move an aquatic badnik to a non-aquatic stage.

Don't you think that's what he probably was refering too when he said "paths in the air". That's what I got out of it and why I said he was a moron.

I suspect they either go really fast for no reason or they have boost pads right behind of them.

It'd be a little funnier if it actually didn't look like Sonic Rush. Or if episodic was a good thing in the context of a game that typically only takes an hour to complete when it isn't episodic.

But yeah, they are spot on about a couple things. People harping on speed and design changes.

The biggest troll i've ever seen.

it's complaining about all the things we already know.

-Episodic

-Green eyes

-Too long legs

-So slow (or so fast?????)

And without playing any beta or something...

And where are the objective things??

The guy who wroted that is what really sucks ....

Being sarcastic Kris? Can't tell really.

I found the article funny, mainly cause of the "too slow, too fast" complaint... and Sonic Long-legs A.K.A Sonicetta, pretty funny joke.

EDIT: Some guy called Illuminous_Orb scanned these from Nintendo Power. Interesting stuff.

np253s4pp1.th.png np253s4pp2.th.png np253s4pp3.th.png np253s4pp4.th.png

• Levels use the Homing attack in a way that "adds to the game" according to NP.
  • New powerups will likely show up in later episodes.
  • The shield is a modern green rather than the classic blue XD
  • Eggman has a 'pinch' mechanic during the first boss fight where he spins the ball 360 degrees.
  • Jun Senoue is the sound director (I think thats new anyway).
  • Iizuka pretty much confirms they won't be bringing the classic designs back... ever.
  • Pretty water effects are pretty.

This is still a first day download for me.

Wow, from one of those screens it looks like the first boss can slam the wrecking ball into the ground. At least they're trying to change it up a bit, that seems okay to me.

Also, I don't know if it's been posted here, but the achievements list has been found (a while ago) and Super Sonic appears to be playable in all levels again.

I know I'm quite alone in this but, for the most part, the screens are rather nice.

No, I agree with you. It looks pretty, and some things I'm hearing (Super Sonic, Sonic 2 inspired levels, cleverly used homing attack) make me kind of excited for this. I just don't want to set myself up for disappointment.

I know I'm quite alone in this but, for the most part, the screens are rather nice.

I like where this is going, it looks like it will be fun, but I don't want to hope for a sonic 4, as I know I'll be let down. If I'm wrong then ^_^ but at the moment I just cant believe it.

The water effect is really cool and I love what they decided to do with the bosses, it sounds really fun. Its like great nostalgia, and a crazy original twist.

Then I saw the large range on the homing attack and was like ;(