A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic 4 Thread

Slingerland

So... 2 days and 17 hours until they reveal a lot more. $5 says it'll be another bunch of fail on Sega's end. You guys?

Wow, you've gone from defending the game and telling people not to be so pessimistic to being all "It'll suck, right, RIGHT?" after getting chewed out. Not cool.

This kind of shit here? Only sonic the hedgehog fans can do it.

Sega, do you understand what you have accomplished? I really dont think they quite get it.

I don't know, I'm sure if we were big fans of Duke Nukem we would probably have similar discussions about different problems.

So...Sonic 4 alpha footage...

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3177976

The title screen pisses me off. They have that new Sonic, but his finger wag has three frames of animation. Was tweening beyond their budget? And why is the game still in alpha if it's due this summer? And why are they going through all the trouble of recoding the gameplay engine (I'm guessing, since Sonic's kinda standing almost horizontally on a wall)? Are they just not allowed to take the old engine from every 2D Sonic ever?

It's like they're reinventing the wheel, but fuck it octagons are cool you guys so let's use those instead.

the footage didn't look all that bad actually. It seemed you had to work at parts to gain momentum,... but then it would lead into the mandatory speed section. :\ Im sure this will improve in later levels. The first zone is usually a speed fest, especially in sonic 2.

They need the slopes to affect sonic more (stand on wall :P ), but overall I like what I see there.

Its a much better attempt at going back to the roots then we have seen in like...forever.

Speed boosters on the very first zone are confirmed, then. And this being a remade Green Hill Zone too. This must be really early footage - Specially about the engine, as it looks incredibly incomplete and with messed up physics that allows you to ignore gravity on walls.

That aside, the level design doesn't look as bad as I'd expect it to be. From the footage, it shows some alternate paths and It doesn't look straightforward like most new gen 2D Sonic games, which is good.

Is that a Carnival zone rehash I see?

You know, there is far more too it than just multiple paths. It's always been my opinion that the quality of the junctions is more important than the quantity of them.

I agree that the junction of them is far more important. My point is that just having multiple paths other than one or two is already an improvement over the other games, as it helps when it comes to replay value.

Yeah, the jumps were so damn floaty. I liked Sonic standing on the wall, too! ...The engine looks like crap.

And I don't know why, but "Press the START button" is irritating. It's so needlessly wordy.

Oh and Asteron is back the zone select shot of Mad Gear Zone.

Definitely quality over quantity. I wholeheartedly approve of this leak, and I'm one of the nazi classic fans. I can tell they got the physics near to faithful to the originals on this engine.

Except it's pretty floaty. And Sonic's still standing at extreme angles. If anything, they got it all wrong.

EDIT: derp. Didn't see the new page.