A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic 4 Thread

Slingerland

Well they won't release a Mario 5, then.

Jerk >:V

That would probably be Yoshi's Island.

Then Mario 64 would be Mario 6 with a 4 added on the end.

But then that would also mean that Mario Sunshine was Mario 7. NSMB was probably 8, Galaxy was 9, NSMBWii was 10, and Galaxy 2 will be 11... *Is shot for the overly long gag*

In short, I think Nintendo ditched the sequel numbering thing after Super Mario World for a reason. Though, that's nothing compared to the quantity of Mega Man's output.

Actually, now that I think about it, Nintendo isn't a fan of numbered sequels in general past three, 4 at most.

But they weren't Marios 5 through whateverthefuck. That's the whole point of what I was talking about. Otherwise your logic dictates that Sonic 4 = Sonic 3D Blast or some other poopy game

Gawddammit.

Was Knuckles Chaotix so poopy?

But it's interesting. If you look further at it, that logic would make Sonic 3 = Sonic CD and Sonic 4 = Sonic 3.

Well, as I said, Nintendo don't seem to like numbered sequels beyond 3. Zelda only got away with a Zelda 2, as did Metroid (Prime didn't past 3). Other Nintendo series, like Pokemon and Kirby, NEVER have numbered sequels. The Mario Land sub-series only got up to three, and third game was Wario Land, which managed to get up to four. So... Yeah.

Anyway, this is rather pointless discussion.

I'm curious as to why I hear significantly less bitching when Mario/Zelda games reuse enemies. Personally, if the game looks like a bland ripoff of the Genesis titles and plays as nicely, I won't really be upset.

Then I'll answer you. Ever since Sonic 1, every new Sonic game had a brand new set of enemies, and unique to each zone, without using the ones from the predecessors. With this "Sonic 4" we saw reused badniks like the motobug, batbot and Shellcracker. Zelda, Mario and other Nintendo games do that all the time, so of course it's not that of a big deal.

I honestly couldn't give a damn what color Sonic's eyes are, but I've always preferred the Sonic Adventure model over anything else. That's oldschool enough in my opinion- he was still short and pudgy. Although this logo is the most amazing thing I've seen and makes me sad.

sonic4classic.jpg

Anyway, this is rather pointless discussion.

I'm curious as to why I hear significantly less bitching when Mario/Zelda games reuse enemies. Personally, if the game looks like a bland ripoff of the Genesis titles and plays as nicely, I won't really be upset.

Those games were never made with the intention of flooding you with new content all the time. In every Mario game, graphics, enemies, etc. are shared pretty heavily between many levels. Same with Zelda when it came to dungeons right up until the whole series went 3D (and even then to a degree). Sonic on the other hand is supposed to be unique in every zone. This was less pronounced in Sonic 1 than in the other games, but the rule of thumb is that each zone had its own enemies, gimmicks, and graphics.

Okay, let's see...

First about the Homing Attack. Doesn't look like it's gonna be like the next-generation. Do you remember Sonic Advance 2's Homing Attack? Couldn't it be like this? And also, you REALLY THINK that SEGA never sees what's being done with its mascot? I mean, if they're putting homing attack here, might be because MOST PART OF THE FANGAMES HAVE THIS MOVE.

I think in the fangaming community we have all pretty much determined that homing attack does NOT work in 2D gameplay and is only good for stringing a bunch of enemies over a pit. I don't think SEGA really looks at fangames anyway though.

And I don't think they care much what's happening with their mascot anyway since he's sucked for like a decade now and they still make money off him.

Talking about Soni's model... C'mon, guys, since Yuji Naka went off of SEGA, they never drawed Sonic wery well again. Don't expect the complete return of the Classic Sonic from the root.

Uh, wrong... Yuji Naka was there during the style change. He left after Heroes. And how can we not expect the return of classic Sonic from the roots? They've been promising us they were "going back to their roots" for a long time now. And with a game that's supposed to be a direct sequel to Sonic 3 and Knuckles, it should have happened this time.

[more retarded shit]

Just stop posting. You're so annoying.

I recall that Chaotix was at early point in development going to be called Sonic 4, but they felt it derived too far from the original games (prior to the boot of Sonic and Tails in Chaotix?)

:V

Yeah.

Some people often confuse Crackers with what would be "Sonic 4", as it was supposed to be the next platformer after S3&K that included Sonic. Regarding name changes, I don't know. That might have been the reason.