A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic vs. Metal

It's called an example. Something frequently used to get a point across. Is English not your native language or something?

But its really ridiculous you go from comparing sonic styles to butterflies and storm troopers. Then when I used that same example against you, you said that that wasn't the point. So what exactly is the point? You're a blubbering mass of un-consistency?

Look Im getting really tired of this flame-war and I gave an option ("But anyway the game is no longer Sonic OVA as you guys are also not the only people to say it ignores sonic OVA...so due to popular opinion...yeah...you win."). take it or leave it.

But its really ridiculous you go from comparing sonic styles to butterflies and storm troopers. Then when I used that same example against you, you said that that wasn't the point. So what exactly is the point? You're a blubbering mass of un-consistency?

Look Im getting really tired of this flame-war and I gave an option ("But anyway the game is no longer Sonic OVA as you guys are also not the only people to say it ignores sonic OVA...so due to popular opinion...yeah...you win."). take it or leave it.

No, his example was pretty apt.

Until that point in time, you were basing the game off of the Sonic OVA. Maybe because of criticism, you designed to make it some "retro-feel" generic Sonic game. Maybe not.

The reason, at least from what I've read here is that the game is not called Sonic the Hedgehog the Movie the Game or whatever the fuck it was, is because that sounded long-winded and clunky.

YOU, YOURSELF, CHANGED THE NAME BECAUSE OF THAT.

And tell Rapier to get off his high horse. I don't know who he or she is, but that individual comes off as a complete asshole.

And tell Rapier to get off his high horse. I don't know who he or she is, but that individual comes off as a complete asshole.

XD thats what makes him awesome. But you got to admit if someone made that "red butterfly" remark about your art you would be pissed too.

anyway I recall someone commenting on the level structure being linear. EH LOLWUT: This a video of the same zone said person commented on...ssly...if look at the above vid its the same zone act 1 really only has one difference but act 2 looks completely different. Underground zone from sonic 2 (GG ver)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO1co1-u3X8

(may still be proccesing)

XD thats what makes him awesome. But you got to admit if someone made that "red butterfly" remark about your art you would be pissed too.

I know you have trouble understanding analogies, but the red butterfly remark was not meant to criticize the artwork, just the style.

It's like if you put a Andy Warhol painting in a gallery of classical art. The painting itself looks fine, but it doesn't belong.

thanks for pointing that out I had no idea

Anyway: is everyone O.K for that art as a general retro sonic game?

also I think everyone keeps commenting on the flame war going on...I would really like it if we could watch the videos or try the demo (different zone then the videos)

to get us back on track Ive reposted them here:

Movies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXy-t7tJeLU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO1co1-u3X8

Demo links:

DL@ http://www.mediafire.com/?lzxuliybojj

or @ http://www.yoyogames...ames/show/98814

note video in demo was removed to shrink filesize...may cause glitch if you attempt to watch it.

I'M SORRY...lets get back on topic.

If there's no use talking to him is it thread lock time?

uh...no?

bump for awesomeness:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJOm-45IO1Y

also:

woah.jpg

ok wow... Stardust speedway is amazing...I wanted to recreate stardust speedway with all of its speed and confusion and I think I have done just that. The level is such a maze that I rarely take the same route twice so its fun to explore and play through. I must have gone through the zone 100 times trying to improve my time or just play through it grabbing as much as I could.

I don't want to give away the level maps for this zone as half the challenge is figuring out where to go. similar to the original you can beat both acts in about 30 seconds each but I doubt you'll beat em in a minute on your first try.

Note: the larger rings in the image are layer changers...there's so much layering in the level I still find places where I'm missing them...which is annoying when you fall though the floor and to your death.

see the thing is I would like comments on level design and physical game flaws until the spriters get their asses in gear. I've passed out a demo, a few videos, and these (which i'm aware are low quality)

Zone 4-1

ff1.png

Zone 1-2

siz2.png

I have 1 of every level but wont release em all for the sake of keeping the exploration experience

Looks pretty fun, the level design going on is neat. Although buzz saws like the one in Scrap Brain would be kind of cool in the factory level, and other factory-like gimmicks/hazards.

Out of somewhat curosity, though, how did you take a picture of the whole level?

Looks pretty fun, the level design going on is neat. Although buzz saws like the one in Scrap Brain would be kind of cool in the factory level, and other factory-like gimmicks/hazards.

Out of somewhat curosity, though, how did you take a picture of the whole level?

yeah...I had planed for saws and boiling pots, conveyor belts...the works...But I want to save it for act 2...which will be madness.

How to take a picture of the whole level? Simple. Just set the view for the whole room. Then size that view so when it is ported on-screen the whole level is showen and at the right shape too. If your using mmf2 I have no clue but if your using Game maker it should be simple enough.

Well, I much prefer this to your Ashura game.

Couple of issues though:

1) Background is very pixelated, looks like a big JPEG someone's zoomed into

2) Egg pawns look really out of place, I recommend using Sonic CD enemies instead if you're not going to sprite your own

3) Why don't your level tiles connect? You can see the breaks between each piece. Is this an issue with Game Maker cause I've never seen this with other Game Maker games

4) You run through monitors instead of stopping/pushing them. Small complaint but it's wrong none-the-less

Otherwise it plays well, Sonic is nice and responsive, the stage design is spot on with a nice platforming-to-speed ratio. Foreground graphics are nice and even though it is a little odd seeing a Sonic Adventure style sprite in a game based on the Sonic OVA, I can deal with it.

Yes, it is. I've had it happen with one of my games.

On the breaks between pieces...

rather strange, all of the tiles (aside from two that I just fixed) mesh perfectly on my computer...although I recall these same tilesets giving me problems on my old PC...it might have to do with a way game maker interacts with different graphics cards.

• 3 months later...

A bit of a bump here...I've been working on this some more and I need some help with gimmick ideas and my artwork for zone 7 is total ass.

I've gotten rid of the egg pawns and added in some classic badnicks and I am working to add more playable characters.

Also I need a name.

This is what I have so far for name ideas:

lolnextgen?

sonic 3 & 3/4ths

sonic 42

sonic 69

sonicaids

Really...I have no clue what to call it.

anyway the game takes place at some random time sometime after 3 but in no relation to any title other then the characters. While running around south island, sonic bumps into eggman. Eggman of course flees and sonic and tails chase him in the tornado. they follow him to a new location, but before reaching eggman's newest factory a storm picks up and knocks them out of the sky.

South Island:

southisland.jpg

Jumping Jungle (storm complete with random lightning strikes):

jumpingjungle.jpg

Sludge City:

sludgecity.jpg

Factory Frenzy (added scrap brain elements):

factoryfrenzy-1.jpg

Stardust Speedway:

stardustspeedway.jpg

Crystal Caverns (massive water zone):

crystalcaverns.jpg

Flaming Crystal(looks like shit...ideas?):

flamingcrystal.jpg

Final Weapon:

finalweapon.jpg

Suggestions, comments, and criticisms are welcome.

It's not bad, but I'll say that I don't like the graphic mixing.

There also seems to be broken tiles in just about every other screen, so I suggest expanding the tile sets more.

This is kinda just a "In a nutshell" thing of the problems, a bit tired to elaborate.

I actually think it's pretty cool. The only graphic mixing problem I have is with the HUD... the advance stuff looks out of place. The Adventure styled sprite fits just fine with this, I think. I like the way it's looking.

You really really need to change the screen resolution though... the genesis resolution 320x240 would work just fine with these sprites. Believe me when I say you won't be able to make a good game with a huge resolution. once you fix that, I think you're good to go. Looking forward to seeing more!

Also, if you want I can clear out some of the arguing in this thread.

I actually think it's pretty cool. The only graphic mixing problem I have is with the HUD...

You really really need to change the screen resolution though...

Also, if you want I can clear out some of the arguing in this thread.

1.) I think there was a HUD contest thread somewhere...I'll search through that and ask for permissions, That HUD came with the base engine, and I havn't bothered to change it, I'm also working to make a better zone title card.

2.)I suppose that will work, I want to keep it so the camera moves ahead of the player, so you can see a good distance when running. I'll try to smooth that out though, since it can make rough motions at times.

3.)I would really appreciate that, thanks.

I'm re-working bits of each level to make unique events in every zone and working on making them longer as well, since most levels only take about a minute to complete.

I also realize most of the level art isn't anything special, since most of it isn't all that custom (mainly pallet swaps, or art I've found for free use) I'm not terribly good at making textures that fit that genesis feel.

Anyway, enough jabber, update time.

Right now I'm working on the fire/lava cliche zone. The main feature is rising/falling lava, and a hefty amount of mechanical hazards.

As you get closer to where lava might rise the background will glow redish, like on the right half of this picture. Ignore the faulty tileing on the slope, I'm aware of it and am working to fix it.

glowingpalletechange.jpg