A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic the Hedgehog // (The Sonic OVA fan game)

P3DR0

You could call it Sonic OVA Remix. Because you aren't using the exactly same story Remix sets it apart from just the OVA. I don't think having OVA in the title is bad either. Lot's of games have "the movie" in the title because it explains that the game is specifically based on the movie. It helps out especially when dealing with characters like comic book heroes who have lots of games beyond just the movie. Here you could do the same OVA explains what exactly the game is based off of. At the very least it make no less sense than naming it "Sonic the Hedgehog" which to me sounds just a bit too arrogant. (not saying you intended it that way) Plus it kinda fits in with those laughable titles such as Sonic 4 (or now 5 I guess), Sonic CD 2, Sonic Adventure 3, or Sonic & Knuckles 2. If you won't want to name it OVA Anime is also a great name it makes perfect sense too since your Universe was created in Anime and your Sonic model looks Anime. Sonic Anime Remix?

Lot's of games have "the movie" in the title because it explains that the game is specifically based on the movie.

"The Movie" or, more popular, "The Game": "Ghostbusters: The Game", "Transformers: The Game" or even "Hannah Montana The Movie: The Game", etc.

I think "Sonic OVA: The Game" or "Sonic the Hedgehog: The Game" are fine versions, but just "Sonic The Hedgehog" is pretty good too.

You guys do realize that "Sonic OVA" or "Sonic the Movie" isn't the name of the movie itself right? It's just a "nickname" that fans have created to discuss about the movie - Wich one is named only "Sonic the Hedgehog" and not Sonic the Hedgehog: The Movie - without getting any missunderstandings with the game itself.

I don't want add a "The Game" or "Remix" to the title because it implies that the fangame is beeing made as a "remake" of the movie. Again as I said the name will be Sonic the Hedgehog. Just that. I don't want to be arrogant - As Overbound said (I get it that you're not calling me arrogant) -, but this is the new name. It may be not good, and too pretencious. Maybe it's a little arrogant... But it fits perfectly as the proposal of the game... A reboot at Sonic series, a perfectly reboot name. And no, I'm not going to call it Sonic Reboot. You guys feel free to call the name as whatever you want (Sonic Henceforth, Sonic OVA: The Game, Sonic 2011, Sonic Reboot...) I really don't care. The name is Sonic the Hedgehog. Just that. Now please could you guys focus on the game itself?

@Streak: Sonic: Ordinary Madness (Tales of Ordinary Madness is a great book, you should be happy <3)

I never had a problem with Sonic Henceforth, but then I didn't really give much of a damn. I just liked how the game was looking and sounding.

There were two worlds in the Sonic OVA, right? Planet Freedom and the Land of Darkness? Sonic Freedom might have been a good idea if the game has any real (marketing) connection to the idea of freedom, which I'm assuming it doesn't, so on second thought, Sonic the Hedgehog or Sonic Henceforth are fine.

So, talking about the actual fucking game: What are you plans for organizing the structure of the game? Since this is a "reboot" of sorts to Sonic, what are you going to change or do differently? Still going to go with the whole zone-to-zone progression with each zone having 2 or 3 acts, or are you going to do something different with that, like turn it into a sort of Metroidvania construct?

I'm going to assume you'll use familiar locales located on both Planet Freedom and the Land of Darkness, like the lagoon where Sonic and Tails hang out, the presidential city, some desolate robot-laden plain in the Land of Darkness, and Eggmanland, right? Or are you going to introduce some new locales to go to?

Will we be able to play as Tails, or will Tails actually be useful in a co-op sense? Like flying you to certain unreachable areas or helping you to defeat a certain boss? Is Sarah or the President making a return, or is it just Robotnik we'll be dealing with?

The biggest problem of a name like "Sonic Freedom" is that the name implies tha you can do whatever you want 'cause you're free. Like some sandboxes games, etc...

Well amigo, I can't tell you exactly what we change, cause it is at the game story. The act composition will remain the same. 2 acts, 1 boss.

I'm going to assume you'll use familiar locales located on both Planet Freedom and the Land of Darkness, like the lagoon where Sonic and Tails hang out, the presidential city, some desolate robot-laden plain in the Land of Darkness, and Eggmanland, right? Or are you going to introduce some new locales to go to?
New places + Old Places... And the "lagoon" is where they live, dude. It's the South Island. :S
Will we be able to play as Tails, or will Tails actually be useful in a co-op sense? Like flying you to certain unreachable areas or helping you to defeat a certain boss? Is Sarah or the President making a return, or is it just Robotnik we'll be dealing with?
About Tails, no. Sarah and the President, maybe.

So getting off the name I feel like even though I have been following this game I don't know much about it. I know that Sonic is prerenderd, I know its based on the Sonic Anime verse, and I know Hinz is doing music. However that's about it. What is this game going to be like game play wise? Is it straight classic Sonic or have you other ideas in mind? What's the story line since you say it isn't exactly the same as the movie? Will there be RPG elements? (IDK why I ask something tells me there will be)

What is this game going to be like game play wise? Is it straight classic Sonic or have you other ideas in mind?
As you can see at some screens I've published some time ago, It can't be straight classic since it has the Homming Attack itself. I have some ideas that I can't put in table right now... But if you guys want to share some ideas, please be welcome.
What's the story line since you say it isn't exactly the same as the movie?
I can't tell it now, but I'm working on something to tell the story. I guess in a couple of months it'll be ready to go. :P
Will there be RPG elements? (IDK why I ask something tells me there will be)
Why do you presume something like that?... Not at all.

The biggest problem of a name like "Sonic Freedom" is that the name implies tha you can do whatever you want 'cause you're free. Like some sandboxes games, etc...

Exactly my point. The name wouldn't have made sense, even though it drew upon the unique Planet Freedom.

Well amigo, I can't tell you exactly what we change, cause it is at the game story. The act composition will remain the same. 2 acts, 1 boss.

So, Sonic 2 or 3 then. That's good.

New places + Old Places... And the "lagoon" is where they live, dude. It's the South Island. :S

I wasn't aware that was also South Island. :/

About Tails, no. Sarah and the President, maybe.

No Tails, huh? Fair enough. Not even as an NPC?

So, Sonic will have the homing attack. Any other moves we can expect from him? Perhaps even an new move that applies specifically to this game?

Aww, no Tails. Sad face. :C But hey, as long as the other characters make up for it, then I'm good.

Will Knuckles appear with his cool hat? ^_^ Also, Metal Robotnik would be really scary as a boss fight, along with the OVA's take on Metal Sonic. Being a reboot, you got yourself a ton of options. =D

Oh, and Sarah is a fucking idiot semi-furry bitch. I don't see too much difference between her and Princess Elise the Third.

If you want a better comparison, try Ashley Graham from RE4. And even then, Sara is a far more entertaining character than both her and Elise, if only because her antics and the things that happen to her are hilarious. Surely I'm not the only one who burst into laughter when she smashed Eggman over the head with that lead pipe.

Also, she was kidnapped less times than either of them. Sara was kidnapped only once. And even then, half the time she was less 'kidnapped' and more 'hitching a ride with Eggy'. Hell, she even threatens to stop being his hostage if he stops playing a fighting game.

Of course, Sera/Sara (No, it's not Sarah) is a bit of a Base Breaker, so...

WAIT. Isn't the Duke of Soleanna almost the same thing of the President too?

Not really. The president is a bit of a oaf, and, well, he's not dead.

Okay guys this is a SONIC the HEDGEHOG FANGAME.

who gives a FUCK about the name let alone the plot

nobody derails this topic after this here derailing post about the name again or ill taze your nutsack carve them off with a butter knife and weld them back to your pelvis with a soldering iron

Sonic The Mother Fucking Hedgehog. Bitches. - Best name idea of all.

But seriously, I love the new title screen it looks sexy as hell. My main question is one on time frame really. Pedro, what are the chances, in your opinion, that we'll be able to see a playable demo by the time the next SAGE rolls around? Also did you ever find that spriter you were lookin' for?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7zg-GmJtV8

New Fire 'n Ice Logo. :V

But seriously, I love the new title screen it looks sexy as hell. My main question is one on time frame really. Pedro, what are the chances, in your opinion, that we'll be able to see a playable demo by the time the next SAGE rolls around? Also did you ever find that spriter you were lookin' for?
About 2/5 chances to be on this SAGE. Spriter? Nah we're drawing the backgrounds now. :P

Haha man, the name thing is old news. Gotta say though I like the new name far better than the old one and so far your game is shaping up to be very good looking the graphics department, not to mention the music so far isn't bad either. I just hope that your gameplay has the same amount of attention put into it :)

Looking forward to it dude!

• 1 month later...

Hi P3DR0. I just wanted to say I completely understand your decision in changing the name of your project to what YOU feel it should be called. I too have had this same problem, but it's not the name that makes the game it's the game that will tattoo the name into the players memory, remember that.

Also I wanted to say holly bat $h!t your game is impressive! You should be very proud of yourself! I will be keeping my eye on your project, I can't wait to play it!

Edit-----> As you said, everybody remembers the original sonic as Sonic the Hedgehog and everybody remembers the other one as sonic 06. The game makes the name, and your take and style on your project will make the player remember the game the way it should be remembered. I think it's a very good idea.