A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic the Hedgehog // (The Sonic OVA fan game)

P3DR0

If you are going to have a homing attack, for the love of all that is sane game design, don't nerf the player in an attempt to require them to use it and don't rely on tired concepts that have been done to death like SEGA does. If I see one more set of enemies that don't do anything except float and wait to die while conveniently providing the basis of a bridge over an empty hole of death, I think I might go apeshit.

If that's The case, why not just give him the air dash instead to the homing attack? it'll probably be easier to program and it requires skill to master...IMO what the homing attack should have been.

• 1 month later...

Homing attack in any 2d sonic game is always a big turn off for me. It's not that I consiously decided to, I just don't like it. I never liked it even before the the big riot that came with s4e1.

The gameplay that comes with it just bores me. Anyway, I do think your project "looks" interesting.

Ah I see, guess I didn't. I apologies for misunderstanding.

-------------------------------------

The model looks allright, however if it were me i'd give it few adjustments on the quills. I'd make the lower quill(s) a bit shorter and the highest one a slight adjustment in the curve of the quill and also make it slightly shorter. It especially looks awkward in this pic.

sc2.png

Hope this'll end up getting a playable demo in the future :)

@Jwiwo: About the 'quills' I feel the need to remember that Sonic's model is based on OVA's Sonic character. Wich one has some preeeety giant quills.

lala.jpg

The screen that you've showed looks akward because it was taken when Sonic were in the middle of the animation.

About a demo, I'm planing (not a concrete idea yet) to release something playable on the first half of 2011.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, long time without posting something new, huh?

First of all we've decided to change the game's name. Yeah, the pression worked, I hope that you guys are happier now.

logo.png

Sonic the Hedgehog. That's the name. Deal with it.

"Why 'Sonic the Hedgehog'?" You ask me.

I'll tell you. Since we decided to make the game at Sonic OVA's universe a lot has changed. Since OVA's Universe wasn't much explored we've kinda recreated Sonic the Hedgehog to it. We've created a new story and recreated a lot of thing on it.

Basically we've recreated Sonic the Hedgehog. So... For a reboot game, nothing more fair than a reboot name.

So leaving the name behind I've for you guys a new video... It's kinda little and doesn't have gameplay on it. Anyway... Here we go:

@squallff8: It's kinda the same thing. If you look with attention you will see that after the flash the "SONIC" becomes yellow. :P All I did was to put a stroke and place "the Hedgehog".

@Streak: NO U CAN'T DO IT ANYMORE! >: (

@Overbound: Sonic Original Video Animation isn't a good name. It's the same thing to call it: Sonic the Movie: The Game. Also, the game is located at Sonic OVA's universe, but it's not a Sonic OVA's game. We aren't doing a game about the movie, we're doing a new game ambiented where the movie lives.

* Sonic the Hedgehog: Anime Edition It's not an anime edition... What the fuck, what anime has to do with a game?

* Sonic Magnaverse Ice cream! Oh... Wait, I though we're writing random words.

* Sonic Universe Yeah, because there isn't like 40 games with that name (also, there is a comic with that name too).

* Sonic the Hedgehog: OAV Edition OAV? I'll presume that is OVA. And if that is... OFFICIAL VIDEO ANIMATION isn't a good name for a GAME.

* Sonic Returns Has he gone anywhere?

* Sonic Boom I must have twisted the universes... I've forget that the game is beeing made at Sonic CD's universe, not OVA's. Wow, what a mess...

Honestly, the name is decided. Deal with it, creative people.

Honestly, the name is decided. Deal with it, creative people.
Name it after a random story element it contains.

For example, in Sonic Unleashed, Sonic's werehog mode is "unleashed," as is Dark Gaia. Therefore, the name is Sonic Unleashed.

In Sonic Colors, there are wisps, and each has a different color. Therefore, the name is Sonic Colors.

@Candescence: Wow, a man who mix tiles, enemies and heroes from Megaman, Sonic, Castlevania, etcetera teaching me about original stuff.

Also, you think that Sonic 1 was the worst Sonic game ever? I'm in shock! Or are you talking about Sonic 2006/Sonic Next-Gen? Because let's be honest nobody remembers that the game has the name "Sonic the Hedgehog" and you're just bringing that on topic to has some relevance at your stupid comment. Everybody knows it as Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 or Sonic Next-Gen. Am I wrong? Anyone call that game Sonic the Hedgehog only?

@Snooky: Indeed. The name was decided about a random event at the story. Let me quote that for you:

Since we decided to make the game at Sonic OVA's universe a lot has changed. Since OVA's Universe wasn't much explored we've kinda recreated Sonic the Hedgehog to it. We've created a new story and recreated a lot of thing on it.

Basically we've recreated Sonic the Hedgehog. So... For a reboot game, nothing more fair than a reboot name.

So, here is my point. You guys may not like the name, I respect that but I honestly don't give a damn. My game, my rules, my names. I decide whatever I want on it, if I want Sonic to be pink at it, he'll be pink. So you guys could continue complaning about the name like a bunch of retards and I'll just ignore your useless comments... Or... You could simply suck that, liking or not, just like a good whore should do. And comment about what really matters: The game itself.

It's your choice.

Pink Sonic = Amy Rose. At least in her retro outfit. xD

Anyway, with regards to the main menu video, it looks really awesome! =D The only thing I can think of that would make it better is if there was a floating island or some other large mass in the distance where the ocean is, to give the scene a greater sense of unity and to better summarize the epic journey Sonic is about to embark on. On the other hand, its current look is reminiscent of a DVD menu, which could be a neat shoutout to where you got the original idea from. x3

@Candescence: Wow, a man who mix tiles, enemies and heroes from Megaman, Sonic, Castlevania, etcetera teaching me about original stuff.

Also, you think that Sonic 1 was the worst Sonic game ever? I'm in shock! Or are you talking about Sonic 2006/Sonic Next-Gen? Because let's be honest nobody remembers that the game has the name "Sonic the Hedgehog" and you're just bringing that on topic to has some relevance at your stupid comment. Everybody knows it as Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 or Sonic Next-Gen. Am I wrong? Anyone call that game Sonic the Hedgehog only?

Whoa, whoa, you took what I said the wrong way, dude. It was just a silly remark on my part, I totally respect your decision to name this game as it was, and personally, I don't at all have a problem with it. (And yes, I was talking about Sonic 2006.)

Also, "crossover" springs to mind concerning the first part. But once again, my remark was mostly in jest.