A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

The inauguration.

Aerosol

I went out of my way to not register and not vote. I'm sure not gonna watch the inauguration either. Mostly because I slept in today. But also because I'm tired of Obama hype.

That guy had trading cards, people. Actual trading cards. This needs to stop.

EDIT: I love you Shadix. It's nice to know that, somewhere, there's someone just as bitter as I am :D

I went out of my way to not register and not vote. I'm sure not gonna watch the inauguration either. Mostly because I slept in today. But also because I'm tired of Obama hype.

That guy had trading cards, people. Actual trading cards. This needs to stop.

Dude, the guy is the first black president, and for the past 8 years I've seen people do nothing but complain about Bush. Don't tell me you expected anything other than hype?

Like Blyde, I was also forced to watch it at school. I hated this inauguration. The only thing anyone gives a rat's ass about is Obama's skin color... like it has any kind of significance at all. Being black doesn't change a thing. Any educated black man is no different from an educated white man. I guess we just found out America isn't too racist to elect a black man. Is that really something to be proud of? Have some goddamn faith in yourself, America. We haven't had a black president yet because there hasn't been a black candidate good enough to win yet. It's the same reason why we haven't had a woman president yet. That's all. I don't think prejudice is involved as much as a lot of people like to think.

I also hated the prayer. We're supposed to have separation of church and state. Even if we have a religious leader, he needs to keep his beliefs out of it. I hate the thought of America being governed by the Bible's rules.

For the record, I would've voted for Obama had I been born a few months earlier. I just hate his ignorant fanbase who thinks his skin color is the only important aspect of this election. Fuck you, morons. I'm glad I didn't vote, because I would regret it.

The worst was the poem, if you can even call it that. I'm surprised she was allowed to read it to the entire country.

Obama's speech was excellent, though. I just hated everything else.

"something like this?" Don't be such a tool. Obama may be the first black president, but Joe Biden happens to be the first vice president from Delaware. Why doesn't he get so much attention? They both matter just as much in the end.

Everyone is so ignorant. This mentality promotes racism and you don't even know it.

What Rael said. Aside form the regretting voting for him and stuff. He's still the better candidate.

And I'll add: Obama is just as white as he is black, people. Calling him the first African American president just doesn't seem right to me. Seems like people are just pulling a huge "Close enough!"

I hate the fact that you people base your HATRED or LIKING for something on how much someone else likes it. It goes with games, it goes with anime. It goes with everything about you people. Rael, you're honestly going to tell me that if you voted for Obama, and seeing as how he won, you would have regretted it because of whatever reason people voted for him? Just for the record, your vote is based on your opinion and not of what people tell you to feel.

I'm glad you didn't vote this time because it's people like you who ruin this country. And this goes for the rest of you who jump on bandwagons or adversely jump off of them based on something's hype.

Want to know why Obama is such a big deal? I will tell you. He made history today. Yes, it has to do with the fucking color of his skin. Today's history making has to do with how our country has developed as a whole. We're no longer in slavery and it would seem as though we've taken a step further away from racism. Martin Luther King day was MONDAY. MLK day isn;t just a federal Holiday for you assholes to get off of school. MLK day is in commemoration of a powerful black man who helped shape history. MLK had a dream that one day something such as this would happen and guess what? It did. That's a big fucking deal. Your ignorance is disgusting. He's a strong and intelligent man and if he was whatever color or whatever creed, I would have still voted for him. Because that's my opinion. Don't get me wrong now. It's BAD to vote for him based on skin color. But the fact THAT we as a country have had slavery and racism against blacks makes the fact that he is our first black president a big deal.

• Like 1

I also hated the prayer. We're supposed to have separation of church and state. Even if we have a religious leader, he needs to keep his beliefs out of it. I hate the thought of America being governed by the Bible's rules.
Any educated black man is no different from an educated white man.

I'm just quoting this because it's very true.

I just hate his ignorant fanbase who thinks his skin color is the only important aspect of this election.

Don't let fanbases make you made. Seriously, don't, if I got mad over every Nintendo, Naruto, Halo and whatever fanbase I would have lost it by now. For now, Obama seems like a good choice for a president, and that's the only thing that matters, right?

EDIT: Streak beat me to it. And with a less lazy post, too.

Everyone is so ignorant. This mentality promotes racism and you don't even know it.

Yep. This one is actually the 'special treatment' racism. I remember the example from American History X: You three guys apply for a job. One is white, the other two are black. Only one spot is available, and if you select the white guy, you can be accused of racism because you didn't choose one of the black guys. So, regardless of the qualifications, you choose one of the black applicants as to avoid being labeled a racist.

In any case, it is racism, since you viewed skin colour as opposed to what you should have been concentrating on.

We've corrupted MLK's dream by still being so attached and carrying about the color of someones skin. Obama could've been plotting to do mass genocide and I don't think it would've changed the outcome or view of this election or Obama as the actual head of the United States of America.

It may be in a positive light, but MLK wanted a society where race didn't matter, where individuals could look each other and not give a shit what color they were, yet politics and everything else keeps showing that we are still very much color discriminated. There's no reason for this current generation to be so attached to their "racial pride", it's completely derailing the point of integration in the first place.

Electing a black man to be president may have historical significance, but I'm sure if MLK were alive right now he'd be utterly disgusted by how much his vision of an equal, nonsegregated society has been twisted.

On a positive note, now that Obama is president, maybe the image of the sophisticated black man will become more appealing, and the whole cultural corner and victim complex the current black society has shoved themselves into will begin to dissolve.

Edit:

colbert-colour.jpg

and thats all.

• Like 1

Who cares about "making history" if the issue is so trivial? Whether he's black or white doesn't make any difference towards what he's going to do in the future. Joe Biden made history too, and it doesn't matter either. I hate people who overplay the significance of his race. It's nice that we're not too racist to elect a black man as president, but there are so many bigger issues. Society is looking at the least important aspect of Obama's presidency.

And when I said I'd regret voting for him, I didn't mean I'd rather vote against him. I'm glad I didn't vote at all.

I figured that since I was in the area, I would go watch it on the Jumbotrons on the Mall. Now that I've seen an inauguration "in person," I can officially say that while it was exciting, it was definitely not something that I couldn't have equally enjoyed from the comfort of my apartment.

Yes, it was fun seeing the crowds, feeling the energy in the air, and cheering when Obama and Biden appeared on the screen, but it was still really cold.

The invocation is a tradition is many government institutions. Anything formal in the Army has one, for example. True, the government should not be government by religious dogma, but the fact that so many people believe in God in some more(as evident by all the "mmhmms" and "amens" from the crowds), and since religious principles form our basic moral code and are thus compatible with secular goals gives the invocation meaning.

Who cares about "making history" if the issue is so trivial? Whether he's black or white doesn't make any difference towards what he's going to do in the future.... I hate people who overplay the significance of his race.

To many, this issue is not trivial. At all. 50 years ago, black people (as well as other races) were discriminated, and when they resisted, they were hosed, dogged, beaten, and sometimes killed. It really does show a much different climate and how we've evolved as a country.

Perhaps this will help inspire another sector of society. It could be said that JFK inspired a generation: mostly the teenage and young adults. Now, Obama could encourage another sector to seek something else, to go beyond a situation that they constantly bitch about being in.

I'm not meaning to pick a fight with you, but you do raise a couple of good points.

Anyway, for those that are interested, I recorded some videos and snapped some pictures. I'll upload the movies to Youtube later this week.

"something like this?" Don't be such a tool. Obama may be the first black president, but Joe Biden happens to be the first vice president from Delaware. Why doesn't he get so much attention? They both matter just as much in the end.

I'm not being a tool and I'm not racist. Obama being elected is a symbol of how far this country has come from slavery, Jim Crow, and segregation. Even though he is only mixed, there are a lot of people who believe that if you are at least 1/16th black blood in you than you are black. It is true that he may not be as good a president as we hope, but regardless we have him for the next four years at least.

Obama being elected is a symbol of how far this country has come from slavery, Jim Crow, and segregation.

You don't need to put a black man as head of the country to prove how you're not a racist. It's like deciding to let animals own property to prove how you're against animal cruelty. As far as I get it, you're not racist when you stop using colour adjectives. It doesn't matter how many 'black' presidents you have, if you say things like '1st black president', '2nd black president', '3rd black president', you are technically being racist even though you had no intention of being such.

Of course, this is all coming from a neutral Eastern European standpoint, so anyone is free to disregard anything I say.

My history teacher said it best; We're going to expect too much from Obama. If he doesn't do even one of the things he promised, people are going to moan about it. If it was some retarded douche, however, who was elected and he did a few things right, everyone's amazed.

Also couldn't watch the inauguration because it was up to the history teacher whether we could go or not, and mine was, like, the ONLY one who said no. My sister did though (5th grade) and she came home with a nice story about watching Obama's "Ignore Your Nation" Speech. :)

EDIT: Cyber Rat- XDXDXDXD