A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

it was inevitable...

DiabloHedgehog

I just don't want it to seem like I copied off of Diablohead; not like it's a big deal to think of something else that's original. He did it much better anyhow using mosaic repetition rather than custom pathing to help prevent speed/over-memory issues.

Also, I thought the sprite was also used by TGF team? Unless that was your game that I'm thinking of Diablo. I just remember it was some old beta static engine test using that sprite. *shrugs* It's coolio either way.

I just don't want it to seem like I copied off of Diablohead; not like it's a big deal to think of something else that's original. He did it much better anyhow using mosaic repetition rather than custom pathing to help prevent speed/over-memory issues.

Also, I thought the sprite was also used by TGF team? Unless that was your game that I'm thinking of Diablo. I just remember it was some old beta static engine test using that sprite. *shrugs* It's coolio either way.

At one time he did use them but I got a bit angry since I asked showoffboy to make them for me in the first place. Right now any extra animation for sonic is being drawn by me from showoffboy's base sprites.

The administrator had banned my IP for a couple days (someone should get that problem sorted, it happens quite frequently) but now I'm back, but for how long is another matter.

Anyway, I used to love SV back in the day, it's one of the fangames I remember most, although it has aged horribly now. My favourite bit was the gravity defying mine cart ride where Sonic's eyes were popping out.

So I'm looking forward to this remake of an old favourite, and you better include my favourite bit! Looks good so far.

And now you mention it, it's great to see you again too, Diablo, I didn't think I'd see your username on here again, as for something interesting...

Uuuummm... uh.. yyyyeah... I'm, uh... up to something interesting... yeah...

*Sneaks off to bed like a lazy shit to eat some large sausage rolls*

Seriously though, I really should do something, I feel like doing something, but for over a month I was experiencing extreme tiredness, and even now that's over I haven't had the patience to make a game. Maybe I should make something small, oh, and I admit I'm a bit thick, as I cant seem to get my head around this Sonic Worlds thing.

You heard it here first folks, the creator of the once almighty Time Attacked is a bit thick.:LOL2:

I'm going to try and update every friday, i've done more work lately but I seriously need to go back to working on my univeristy stuff instead of fangames :adead:

--------------------------------

Friday 7th November '08

First up is adding extra animations, now you have walking, running and peel out when you are going faster then you should ever be going!

ibw2ea.png

The first zone's level tiles are slowly being improved, the backgrounds are going to end up much nicer then they are currently since they were just thrown in for effect and to get the parallax layers working together.

Also as a little bonus A short video has been uploaded to the Sonic Super Velocity youtube page telling the story of Sonic SV in 4 minutes, refresh your memories with Sonic riding a mine cart upside down and Diablo suddenly growing a 6 pack with the power of the emerald!

http://uk.youtube.com/user/SonicSuperVelocity

You know Jamie, if you want to give a shot, then feel free to do so. We'd be happy to help. Same to you Diablo.

I'm actually working on modifications to the worlds engine. Already have a boss engine, boss cam, save system (Beta), working invincibility and several other stuff.

I played the old Sonic SV a few days ago, great stuff. I wish there were some kind of save feature so I could resume from where I left off :(

I'm actually working on modifications to the worlds engine. Already have a boss engine, boss cam, save system (Beta), working invincibility and several other stuff.

Azu, once you finish some or all of your modifications, why not post them publicly in the Worlds forum? A lot of us wish it were more complete.

Aww geez, now you might tempt me to work on Sonic Ki again XP

Anyway, I'm excited to see how this will come out. I have a question though. I know back in the day you stopped and restarted work on SV2 a number of times, each time with a different engine and graphical style. Throughout all those re-workings, were all the ideas you had for the final game maintained? Or was it a completely new concept every time? Like for example, will this (final) iteration of SV2 have time travel?

Aww geez, now you might tempt me to work on Sonic Ki again XP

Anyway, I'm excited to see how this will come out. I have a question though. I know back in the day you stopped and restarted work on SV2 a number of times, each time with a different engine and graphical style. Throughout all those re-workings, were all the ideas you had for the final game maintained? Or was it a completely new concept every time? Like for example, will this (final) iteration of SV2 have time travel?

Well this version is basicly SV1 completely redone, so the basic story of Diablo being against sonic is there but now retold. There are one or two "SV2" things I want to do but a lot of it would not make sense here, like playing as the enemy.

level wise also they are completely different locations, since there is a mild story and theme throughout the game.

I don't want to go too heavy on features and stuff because I have important university work to do, and I would like to get this finished by SAGE.

It's early friday morning so that means another update!

Friday 14th November '08

I've done lot's of small things with the engine like tweaking speeds, gravity, slopes and all that to change the feel to something unique and to my needs, for example you now need about 1 screen worth of run-up before you can make it around a loop without falling off instead of a few feet in sonic's scale.

Tunnels have been added but are still a little buggy, they are great for setting up some unique roots around the stage and i've always loved them in sonic 1 so why not. One twist I want to add to them is to have pipes cross over each other at points.

dlhp3t.png

I have also typed all my ideas down and been adjusting them all week until I felt good with the level order and what little story there is in Sonic SV, I don't think it's going to spoil much if I give you the planned level list here.

stage 1 act 1 - Sonic the Hedgehog - flower fields Green/Emerald hill style stage

stage 1 act 2 - Chaos energy? - flower forest SMS Green hill act 2 style stage

boss 1 - Egg robo

stage 2 act 1 - Two hedgehogs - Blue mountian Lot's of steep slopes to run down

stage 2 act 2 - Classic reunion - Blue valley water flooded rocky area, spring filled

boss 2 - Egg driller

stage 3 act 1 - Can't stop won't stop - Egg carrier Floating base stage, hang bars and pipes

stage 3 act 2 - History of the chaos - Egg hanger Metal base, lot's of straights, boosters and big loops

boss 3 - Diablo fight 1

stage 4 act 1 - Sidetracked - Winter lake Icecap theme, lot's of spikes, ice water platforms

stage 4 act 2 - Hold your breath - winter cave Melted ice, raised water.

boss 4 - Diablo fight 2

stage 5 act 1 - Launch!? - Metal base Scrap brain theme, convayer belts and zappers

stage 5 act 2 - Seven becomes one - Metal egg Death egg in space, boosters and bots

boss 5 - Egg mech

As you can see this time I plan to add some boss fights in apart from the one at the end, half of them against "Robotnik" himself and the other half against Diablo like a Sonic vs Knuckles encounter. There is a little more to that list but that's something you will have to wait untill next sage for. :asmile:

Being a big fan of the classic sonic games I had to add bonus stages in there, i'm not 100% sure how i'm going to let the player access them but they will not give you emeralds since there is only one emerald in sonic SV, so they will grant you continues and bonus points and maybe even the ability to unlock something. I want the game to carry a little replay value then just beating the game once and leaving it at that.

If you wish to know what sort of bonus stage is being made then click the spoiler box below.

b3pifk.png

Sonic 2 / 3D blast Saturn special stages

*sunday edit* http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=jM1VY7KBIRc

ooh nice! is that bonus stage going to be rendered in real time, or pre-rendered for a pseudo 3D style like Sonic 2?

Real time might be a little tricky for mmf2 to handle, my original thoughts were to make it a 15 fps video and an game ticker would count to stages where a corner would be and do it's job. I think it might be tricky to get the rings and bombs to turn corners well enough so even though I will use them items will appear on straights only for now.