A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Emerald Ties: Crossing Fates Demo - DEMO UPDATED 8/18 SEE PAGE 5

Gamerdude

Alright guys, it's that time again! A brand new ET:CF demo has arrived! A new level is featured along with a revamped first level. Of course, many other face lifts have been done along the way as well.

You can grab it here: http://etcf.thisisourcorner.net/

Screenshots and the download link are in the "Download" section of the above website. I encourage everyone to try out the online time attack submission system. Compete for the best times, highest ring count, and/or highest scores!

Feel free to post any comments/bugs/suggestions here. Enjoy everyone! =)

ruinsglitch.png

Relic Retreat act 1 has three "earthquake" triggering switches. Each switch moves a different rock, opening a new path for the second half of the level. See if you can find all three switches! :aparty:

If you don't find a switch by the time you reach this area, you can't proceed with the level. You'll have to go back and find one!

just finished playing the demo! really good work =D. The new zone is really cool and the transition from storm to calm in the background is really nice, it has a nice soniccy moment feel to it. And the backtrack in act 2 is very original, I like how you start the player off not at the very start of the level so you're not just repeating the same thing the whole time when you go back, kept it interesting!

One thing I will say though, that boss is really annoying, artificially extending the time you spend fighting him cos you have to wait for the flash and him to come down was really just tooooo long.

Otherwise, Me likes it lots.

I loved the boulder chase, and going through the act backwards. It was a really nice touch.

What ila said.

I liked this game, only thing wrong with it was the Robotnik fight. I like the way he's executed, but just make him have less health, since it seems kinda stupid to put a boss that takes about 3 minutes to kill if it takes one a little less than a minute to run through the level.

This was a great demo my first download at this Sage. The scripted events are amazing and really feel like Sonic, The graphics are top notch, and the controls are very tight.

I do have a few concerns however, that new badnik for the GHZ Style Zone (forgot the name) seems to hit me when I should be hitting it.

I don't like how you can only hit the boss after that flash. Don't get me wrong I love long bosses, but as with most first bosses yours is pretty simple and the longer more complicated bosses should be left for later zones.

Yeah, apparently, the timing for eggman being available to attack has somehow got shorter during the time we were working on the demo. Dunno how that happened. (Excuse my poor crappy grammar, disability in English gets to me a lot *shakes fist*)

Don't worry though, GD is fixing that. We also are trying to fix that Spindash glitch (where Sonic stops rolling for some reason after a few seconds of rolling).

Thanks for the feedback! We appreciate it!

Thanks for the comments everyone, you're opinions are both inspiring and helpful =).

I do have a few concerns however, that new badnik for the GHZ Style Zone (forgot the name) seems to hit me when I should be hitting it.

Can you tell me when this happens? The only way you should be able to kill the little Turdle badniks in Sparkling Seaside is by rolling or spindashing into them (aside from invincibility, haha). Any type of jumping (regardless of where you collide with the Turdle) will get you hurt. So, if you're getting hurt while jumping and getting hurt, that's intended. If not, just let me know when it's happening and I'll see if I can fix it =).

I see what you mean. It was intended that jumping on it would land you close to the spring on it's back...so, technically, you should be sprung up, but since I have all the enemies programmed in a group, I should try and seperate the Turdle so no matter how you jump on it you get sprung and not hurt. Thanks for submitting that

hay guyz so the other CKT members have posted and I didn't oops. Was playing all of the SAGE games.

Thanks all of you for your comments and criticism! Of course, the boss will be polished more, since he came down too often last demo and too scarcely in this one.

On the subject of new badniks, I'll tell you all what they are like:

Turdle (SSZ): Turtle + Hurdle. A waddling turtle that has a spring on its shell.

Drillcula (RRZ): Drill + Dracula. A bat with a drill on its head. It wishes to pierce the heavens one day.

Teeth-Rex (RRZ): Teeth + T-Rex. A vicious orange dinosaur that wheels around searching for blue hedgehogs to munch on.

I also designed the background for Tails' Workshop where I've hidden 16 references to older Sonic games, projects, or other things. When you're not time attacking you can all devote your time to finding them!!! right? :(

The changes in this game is amazing. I'll be honest and say I wasn't expecting a lot from ET:CF, but after playing this demo I was not disappointed. I loved the ruins level especially, though the first level did run at a butter-smooth frame rate for me. ( finally a game that didn't run slow i-i )

My only complaints are that the first boss took way too long ( flash bomb should occur faster than it does and possibly more frequently as the boss takes more damage ) and that the Paralax option should remember that I set it to OFF when I change zones.

Nice job Chao Killer Team; I'll definitely be expecting more out of this game from now on.

Edit: Oh yes, the acceleration was a tad slow too; I ended up spindashing quite a lot to progress through the level.

As noted, I'm also getting alot of bug reports and suggestions from people:

-Acceleration is too slow

-Spindash bug (Fixed)

-Slow Boss fight (Fixed)

-When Sonic gets hit and lands on a Turdle, he's still stunned.

-Paralax option (Fixed)

-Peel-out sfx

-Boulder giving Sonic enough time to regain some speed after getting hit (Fixed)

-Relic Retreat's first pit is rather unfair. Should have a spring with an item!

Don't think I got them all, but I've probably did.

EDIT: Hopefully, the bug fixing and all of this and that will get done in an hour. They're all minor event changes anyways.

Thanks everyone! The criticism is really helping ET:CF by a lot!

Could be the rain effect, I set it to have 30 raindrops on screen at a time. The rain stops halfway through the level, so see if it runs a little better.

Also, try disabling parallax and see if it runs better. Act 1 has two parallax bg's going on at once.

Spike, what are your system specs? As Rael said, that level has multi-layered parallax...and two sets of them. That could definitely slow things down...so try turning those off (Enter to pause in game and under options on the title screen). If that doesn't help, let me know. The ruins is filled with a lot of moving stuff...active objects in general, so I can understand why slow downs might be encountered...I'm not sure what else I can do to fix up the lag issues in that level if you continue to experience them. Handling BG collisions off screen are already disabled, that's kind of a last resort move.

That aside, an updated version will be posted shortly with a majority of the glitches that have been reported fixed. Some suggestions that are additions rather than fixes may not be present. I'll edit this post with an update when it's ready.

EDIT: I fixed all the glitches and added all the suggestions in the list Naoshi made. The acceleration has been bumped up slightly, I hope it's still okay.

Bravo.

First Sage game I played (excluding an early Mario Kingdoms) and believe me, I was impressed. The second zone is everything and more than I expected. I think however without any intro to the boulder you wouldn't know it's coming really. I just assumed I had to run because things would fall and when I saw something behind me coming really fast I went psycho.

I think the improvements to the first zone are awesome too. I have to agree though, the first boss is a bit tedious. And after about four hits I just thought it could have ended. Or if after a few hits, he gets harder? Increase the challenge? I dunno.

Anyway best game I've played so far. Well done.