A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Emerald Ties: Crossing Fates Demo - DEMO UPDATED 8/18 SEE PAGE 5

Gamerdude

http://www.tssznews.com/2008/08/18/sage-08-etcf-demo-review-2/

I feel like I'm being too harsh or something, but in the end, I do recommend people check it out. I dunno; I had a conversation with a guy who apparently does not like SAGE and thinks the whole thing is uncreative and that most of us are bad people, so maybe that colored my statements. But not really, because, I do say quite a few positive things about it. Just read it and decide for yourself.

I'd just like to say that this game, and the interview with the creators was the highlight of me and SG's sagecast, and I think he'd agree with me. Everything went so smoothly with that and I loved playing through the game, and talking to the creators at the same time.

This game really was great. The little touches were awesome as well as the overall feel of the game.

I'm really looking forward to this game... A lot... A whole insanely crazy amount of a lot...

It just has this... Well thought out and put together feel that just makes you feel all... It's like, nostalgia with more freshness than you can shake a bottle of Fabreeze at... (even though I hate the smell of Fabreeze, so I guess that was a bad example... but still)

Well done.

I wasn't too impressed with this demo last time and even now I wasn't exactly blown away by the first level (perhaps I've just played too many GHZ/Beach levels?) but the second level amazed me. Firstly I love the little atmospheric touch a little bit of rain adds to a level and so my first impression of the level was fantastic, and when coupled with the interesting use of the switches and the boulders as well as the falling spike ceiling and the rising lava.

However as Blaze said on the review, I would like to see some slight retouches to the badniks. It would be nice if the player could use the turtles to reach shortcuts and secrets he wouldn't easily be able to reach otherwise. The turtles also seem to be the only badniks that move at a fair pace with everything else moving much faster than most of the enemies I'm used to from the traditional games. Furthermore the little t-rexes probably ought to be a little bigger, they look cool but they are hard to spot.

I love the time attack competition which I feel was quite an ingenious way to guarantee a little bit of replayability for this particular game throughout SAGE. I've posted records for each act, some I have been able to improve upon with a few seconds but have not been willing to sacrifice the score and rings. I've never been the best for time attack anyways.

Oh and I love the music. As for the story bits, the dialogue seems a little off and the premise of Sonic taking a vacation is quite overused but then again neither of these really hurt the game.

Yeah, I actually had thoughts about making the Turdle enemy being able to spring you to secret areas but it'd probably require remaking a lot of the stage since it wasn't exactly built for that. And unfortuately, SAGE was coming and I didn't have the time to remake the level and plus the fact everyone loved it and I was afraid of changing it too much. x_x

Hmm...I may do it for the full game release. (As this demo is the final demo)

EDIT: And yeah, the dinosaur robot needs to be more visible. I can ask Blyde to make the enemy bigger if he wishes.

EDIT2: To be honest, I wasn't impressed with Seaside Act 1 either ever since I began working on the game again. It is pretty much dated and it had too much running to the right and lacked gimmicks. I want to remake the entire Act 1 if anyone is okay with that. Although, the remake of the stage wouldn't be in this SAGE, that'd be changing the game too much since the demo is out.

http://www.tssznews.com/2008/08/18/sage-08-etcf-demo-review-2/

I feel like I'm being too harsh or something, but in the end, I do recommend people check it out. I dunno; I had a conversation with a guy who apparently does not like SAGE and thinks the whole thing is uncreative and that most of us are bad people, so maybe that colored my statements. But not really, because, I do say quite a few positive things about it. Just read it and decide for yourself.

I kind of feel that the comments made were a bit harsh. I do like the fact that you keep things down to earth, but at the same time, it seems like you're prodding the game to reach some sort of huge pinnacle originality. We're not trying to completely emulate a Genesis Sonic game, however that's the style that we're using as our basis when we create things. I think it's fair to say that if you flaw us for that, then you flaw a majority of the communities efforts in their fangames. A majority of people are looking to recreate a Sonic experience of their own as they envisioned it would have been.

That all being said, ET:CF is far from complete, and we do have elements of gameplay in store that are original and that set it apart from a Sonic Genesis clone.

So, again, thank you for the review, it just left me with an odd feeling. It seemed pretty negative overall, and just when I thought there was going to be a little bit of praise, you said something else negative. I kind of felt like a dog that has a treat dangling over it's head but the owner just won't give it to him.

I'm not asking your to think ET:CF is the shit or anything, but I just feel like you really buried our efforts.

The only thing that bugged me a bit is the comparing to Sonic XG bit, maybe it's just me because I never liked having fangames being compared to others. *shrugs*

I like the review, I appreciate it, even though it was probably a bit harsh perhaps.

EDIT: On the subject about the flying badnik from seaside. It was originally going to be resprited because it was used from a spritelib and we found ourselves out of time so we didn't get Blyde to resprite it. So we were sorta rushed at the end, while ETCF is a success, I feel that we kinda rushed on it at the same time. But that's our fault for getting motivation on ETCF in the middle of July XD

I really appreciate the unbiased comments and criticism, JEV3. I can definitely see where you're coming from regarding badniks. I think it's important to note that we have been redesigning zone 1 since the first SAGE Emerald Ties participated in, back in 2004, though. I think that before we even think about going back and fixing mistakes, we need to finish every other zone first. Just so we can finish this game. All of the criticism we get is being taken into consideration heavily, and we'll try to learn from our mistakes for future levels. We just need to make sure we don't get caught up in perfectionism again - which, up until this point, has been the greatest roadblock we've had.

By the way, Blaze... don't you think that comparing fangames is kind of stupid? We're not trying to compete with Sonic XG, or any other fangame for that matter. We just try to make this game the best that we can and have fun while we do it. It almost seems like you went out of your way to say "It's not XG quality" and thought you were making up for it by saying "but it's good." I actually liked the review up until that point, but that bit at the end felt like you were trying to find ways to put us down. Maybe because you don't like the attention we've been getting?

Maybe because you don't like the attention we've been getting?

I highly doubt that's the case. And let's not have a repeat of the 8.8 situation either...

But besides that, his review doesn't seem far off from many reviews of commercial games. They compare other games in the process quite frequently, usually not by name for obvious reasons, but the comparison still is there.

If a game is similar to another in one way or another, one cannot help but compare because its just human nature.

I think fangames have progressed in quality to the point where comparing them is becoming worthwhile. SAGE has grown to such a point where we're seeing many quality games and guests that it's hard not to want to take things more seriously. It enhances the experience... Displaying something at any Expo opens yourself up for comparison to past or present projects, and I take SAGE as seriously as any other "professional" expo. Heck, look at our guest list and how far SAGE came from it's conception. We're an amazing community...

If all that upsets any of you, take a look around. You still have one of the best fangame projects I've, and we all have seen in years (besides mine, because I'm a cocky attention whore bastard). No need to get all defensive...

Well, I can't say I was quite upset, but if I did sounded somewhat upset and offended Blaze, then I'm sorry about that, I tend to accidentally exaggerate things. (Of course, I think I'm just overacting now a bit because my post wasn't really defensive)

You have a good point, ssbfalcon.

I understand what you're saying, ssb, but at the same time you can't ignore the overall negative vibe you get from the review. Each time I read it, I feel the same negative tone throughout the whole article. I don't so much mind the comparison between XG and ETCF, although I can't even remember the last time I saw something out of XG (but I don't pay much attention a lot of the time). I still stand by my statements at the end of my last post. I'm not against constructive criticism, I just feel like the review was written by someone who is usually not impressed with fangames.

I just feel like the review was written by someone who is usually not impressed with fangames.

Sounds like Blaze to me...

But yeah, you're right, it is rather negative, but so is IGN's review of God Hand especially compared to the glowing reviews it got elsewhere. I can understand why anyone of you would get upset. It's hard work making a fangame especially with such level of detail that you guys have.

There'll always be someone who's not impressed, unfortunately, sometimes it's one who writes for news sites...

The best press for great games is word of mouth. You'll probably find that the review will be either ignored, or rebutted...

Ignore it. Keep up the great work. I know I'm not the only one who'll be ignoring the review. Negative press only incites curiosity, and the community will most likely be against that review (unless they're review-tards)

I thought the review was great, but I was really disappointed that you manage to slide a comparison to XG in there. That wasn't cool at all and I didn't think it would come from you of all people.

I'll be doing an in-depth review on Sonic Stadium later this week, GD.

Thanks Brad.

I'm sorry if I'm coming off as really offended. Truth is that I'm not terribly hurt, just put off. A majority of the criticism in the review is fair, I just wish it were done in a more positive light, that's all. Anyway, let's move off this subject.

Wow, it seems overnight a lot of people started doing online time attack. Someone even beat my ruins act 1 score. I'm trying to match it now. JEV3 has 1:22:21 and I have 1:22:81. Almost there... I'm in the lead with act 2, at least.

I just found the coolest bug ever. If you roll against the giant boulder repeatedly, you can actually defeat it and send it through the floor. Or in the event that it doesn't go through the floor...

flyingboulder.png

It rolls backwards flying in the air!

flyingboulder2.png

But watch out, if you pass the boulder area again it'll come back seeking vengence.

I have to admit, this demo is extremely awesome. I don't know about trying online time attack. Just about anyone can beat the times I make.:asweatdrop:

Te wind shield seems odd to me. It might up things a bit to hold the button instead of just pressing it to use the wind shield. I'm just giving an opinion thats all. Anyway, the design and the level layouts, all very pleasing indeed.:scool:

• Like 1

Hmm, yeah, now that I think about it. That is pretty awkward. No problem, easy to fix. :D

Bug/Suggestion Report:

-Acceleration is too slow (Fixed)

-Wind Shield power doesn't end if you release the button. (Fixed)

-Redesign a badnik in Seaside.

-Add JUMP signs instead of UP signs in the boulder chase

-Layer problems (Fixed)

-Timer related glitches in Act 2 of the ruins (Fixed)

-Better Bubble bounce (Fixed)

-Boss glitches (Fixed)

-Time Attack mode attacking Story mode! (Fixed)

-Boss Music glitch (Fixed)

Anymore?

I don't know about trying online time attack. Just about anyone can beat the times I make.:asweatdrop:

That was precisely my attitude towards the online time attack. I decided to give it a try anyways, its actually quite fun and it makes you look at the levels in quite a different way.

New time - 1:20:01. Here's a hint: get the lightning shield on the very top path during the part where the ceiling falls.

That was my approach, much of the time I was able to gain I negated with clumsy mistakes. (jumping into an incline and having to scale it, spindashing needlessly, landing in the wrong area by a hair) I often end up jumping instead of spindashing because of my timing which is really aggravating with the lightning shield. (its probably just that the keyboard is reading my jump button before my down button)

I'm gonna try to see if I can pull my self back on top for both the ruin levels. Both of them seem more speedrun-friendly than the beach levels I actually noticed that in the first segment that if you spindash you bounce off the block and catch the rings, catch the rings on the ramp and I think you can also grab the rings and the badnik and land in the super box all in time to reach the swinging platform though I haven't quite made it. One of the reasons I just love time attack, too bad the game can't save its own replays/ghosts.:ssmile:

EDIT: Oh, this is only minor and doesn't affect the gameplay at all, but the title cards include a picture of the level, before they pull back and show Sonic in the level. Thats all cool except that it feels really awkward going into the level after seeing that. Especially in Relic Retreat 1 where the title card does not show weather but the level starts in the rain. It caused me to believe at first that the level had opened in some base location and then warped to the area I was supposed to start at which didn't quite feel right.

Alright everybody, we made a new build of the demo. Here is a list of bug fixes and changes:

• Acceleration
  • Wind shield power works as you hold the key down (MCKaosu's request)
  • Layer problems
  • Timer related glitches in Ruins act 2
  • Higher bubble bounce
  • Boss glitches
  • Boss music glitch

Maybe the most important change is that the boss sequence is now so different than it was before that we have to reset the times for the online time attack records in Sparkling Seaside act 2. Online time attack will no longer work for this act in any older builds of the demo, so make sure you download the new one!

By the way, great job JEV3. I didn't think anyone would be able to top my time. I'm really impressed! And MCKaosu, the point of online time attack isn't to be the best. It's to have a record of your best times for people to see. It's all in good fun. :awink:

I love this game... I'll try out the new build later, as well as give proper comments about what I liked and... didn't like?

But it was a solid game. Love the effects, gameplay, and level construction & design. Yes, to me there's a difference. Design to me is the artistry in making the level, such as paths, "gimmicks"(we need a better term for this), tone, etc. Construction is the structure of the design, namely, did it feel like it was a part of the world, or just... there?

If only my laptop screen wasn't as high res that the window of the game is in such a tiny box...

It's beautiful... I only wish LCDs scale better...