A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Attitude; video on last page

Endri

Sorry about that. And well, in before Tristan copies this to TSSZ.
Goddamnit... it's always funny. I'll get you back, ila.

Endri, like I've told the rest of the cancellations, show us your best work later. People are willing to wait for the good shit.

Apparently, a lot of drama is happening...

Guess I should've just came here and say "don't feel like releasing a demo this year" and end with it to avoid this Soap Opera. Oh...

Guess I should've just came here and say "don't feel like releasing a demo this year" and end with it to avoid this Soap Opera. Oh...

Well, if you said that, then you'd still get a story and it would be spun as the following... "Sonic Attitude Withdraws From SAGE Out of Laziness" or something similar and you look like a slacker, despite your fangame being something done in your free time. Their attitude is like "YOU OWE ME THIS GAME," Endri. You're screwed if you do, screwed if you don't. You're basically not allowed to post anything interesting on SFGHQ, Retro, or TSS without that site pitching the circus tents. It's inevitable and unstoppable.

Just stop cooperating and keep it to yourself. You told us why you can't make the show and we believe you, because we're not total assholes. That should be good enough. As someone who moronically went down the path of "comment box defense," take my advice. It's not worth it and it only gets worse.

Do you guys remember when SAGE and fangames were fun? A lot of people that have posted here or IMed me lately seem like that they're not having fun anymore. Hmm... I wonder why that is... *see above*

Yeah, I remember. Those times were actually when I downloaded the games and were even impressed with ones that didn't have static engines. It seems...are people trying to get competetive in fan-gaming? Seriously, its a hobby, we're not a big game corporation that works on the game 20 hours a day. I'm still having fun, mind you :)

It seems...are people trying to get competetive in fan-gaming? Seriously, its a hobby, we're not a big game corporation that works on the game 20 hours a day.

None of us are competitive with each other. It's just we don't like the drama that's being created around our projects.

I do agree on your latter point, though.

I had lots of fun here last SAGE, hence why I stuck around and am working on my own fangame albeit very slowly. I started my idea last year, but never got time to actually work on it properly. Now I'm glad I didn't, my old level graphics were atrocious and the new ones actually fit with the level so far haha...that and I'm just better at the graphics side than last summer anyway. So I'd say I'm having quite a bit of fun making my fangame, it is a lot of work but I'm loving it so far. I could even possibly have a demo out next month if I can get all my graphics/sprites completed and just a few tweaks added to the engine (and I keep up my workflow..but I dunno if I can xD!).

As for TSSZ and whatnot, I don't really care what he writes anymore. I just don't. So I'm not going to give him what he wants (pageviews). The more we always bring up his articles and link them around, the more people will see it heh. So I usually don't click them unless it is something completely outrageous that I'd be out of the loop if I didn't (but that is rare). By bringing his articles here we end up bringing his drama here, and even though it is great lulz sometimes, I think it just makes the problem worse sometimes.

Damn man, sorry to hear that. You still have a copy of your game stored onto your hard-drive though I take it? It'd be a shame for all of it to be lost.

I really have nothing else to say but that blows terribly. I hate people who steal work like that ._.;

Good luck with the project in any case. Don't sweat trying to get too much out during SAGE, just do what you need to first. I'm sure we're all willing to wait until you're ready to show more of the project.

Same here.

Good luck on everything, Endri.

Good to know you still have a copy of all the stuff.

I'm willing to wait, for the sake of a good game. And its creator's good mood.

And, screw the guy who did that.

I enjoy SAGE, but I generally don't stick around all year because of the drama... I normally stick to the SRB2 boards because they don't talk about Sonic over there, and that's generally a good way to avoid bash-fests. :tgrin:

Don't sweat the SAGE thing, I'll try to stick around for the rest of the summer so that I can keep tabs with all of the games. I look forward to your next update, SAGE or not!

• 1 year later...

Greetings, avid followers of the Sonic Fan Games HQ Forums. :P

It's been a long, long time since I last posted any updates about this project, and I would like to apologize for that.

As a matter of fact, I have made many updates, both to the DS and PC version, but I mostly reservated them for the right time.

So, today I'm going to leave this video here of the DS version of the Special Stages, and I would like oppinions, ideas, if you guys liked it or not.

(This video was supposed to be private, to my beta-testers, but Youtube simply refuses to set it as private, so might as well share it here :D)

The idea was to make it the natural evolution of the Special Stages.

It features a mix of the key elements of the three Special Stages from the Genesis era:

- The strategy and color changing block from Sonic 1;

- The tunel race from Sonic 2;

- And the puzzle elements from Sonic 3 & Knuckles's Special Stages.

As well as it's own key element: the rythimic game.

For quite some time, I've been playing quite a few rythimic games, and I felt that they could fit in the Sonic universe, if applied in the right way. I also have been effortfully looking for a Special Stage that would work great in multiplayer mode, and I came up with this formula.

As you can see, it mix classic elements, but it has it's own features and it's own fingerprint. Natural evolution indeed.

Tell me what you think.

Thank you all.

This video is from the lower screen of the DS version. You have to touch the orbs (or the lanes) in order to play the tune. If playing multiplayer, you can build harmonies with the notes, or play completly different musics.

Each stages will have it's own music, but I had a creativety block and I couldn't think in any custom music, so I went with Star Light Zone's tune. =P

The objective of the Special Stage is to fill every one of the 24 dots with the same color. That's the puzzle element. However, at each consecutive orb of the same color you get, it changes the color, so you have to get the new color, or you'll end up filling your grid with different colors. That's the strategic element.

The notes in the video did not always seem to be synchronized with the beat(on the millisecond level), and some of them were different from the original version of the song(this is not necessarily a flaw). This makes me wonder to what degree the skill of the player influences how the song plays, and how the notes were recorded in the first place.

If noone understands what I'm talking about, then just ignore me. ^^

You are right. The de-synchronization of the notes/beat is partially to blame on the on how accurate your timming is. If you get the dot a bit to late,the note plays out of sync. The other half is due to Youtube de-synchronizing the audio with the video.

The notes being different is completly on purpose: I limmited the tune to a 6 note only scale, in order to fit the six lanes of the special stage, therefore the tunes is indeed a little different. There are special dots that plays the notes in differents octaves, so the notes are limited to a 6-note scale, but not limited in octaves.

• 2 years later...