A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Attitude; video on last page

Endri

I tried to record a video yesterday, but the recordings didn't go as expected. I'll ask Damizean to see if he can record a video, as the preject evolves.

...also, I would like to change the topic's title... have no idea how though...

The gameplay is highly focused on the classic Sonic games and heavily focused on newtonian physics.

I wouldn't put myself above the team that developed Sonic Rivals, because it was an entire team composed of lots of professionals.

In my case, I'm solo. I'm just a guy doing an entire game all by myself in my spare time. But I hope the gameplay turns out to the enjoyable by most players.

I can also tell that Sonic Fusion was one of the project that inspired me to start this one in the first place.

I updated this thread mostly to show that this project is not a vaporware, is not dead, and I'm actually working hard on it. It's just evolving slowly, because I don't have much spare time lately. But I'll finish this project.

Also, I'm talking about the PC version here, since the DS version is already done by the way... Also, aparently I'll have to scrap the development of the iPhone version, since I'm having some difficulties with the actuall .IPA file of the game, since aparently the game could only work in iPhones with "hacked" firmwares...

I've been working in this project for a while now, and, seeing progress been made is a great achievement for me, since 3D fan games tends to have the fame of never getting finished.

I wouldn't put myself above the team that developed Sonic Rivals, because it was an entire team composed of lots of professionals.
Problem with Sonic Rivals was that it's gameplay was "press right button all the time and press jump button from times to times". I really hope that your game will be more then just this. Good luck!

The use of SSAO (Screen Space Ambient Occlusion) is the closest approach to dynamic real-time global illumination effect. This post-proccess effect, by itself alone, is enough to achieve a good looking illumination effect. Although not necessary, I use SSAO in conjuction with a bloom effect (not present in the screenshots) in the same pixel buffer as the SSAO, resulting in a radiance, mental ray effect. That's why it doesn't use (read: ALMOST) no pre-calculations at all. The are still some other secrets, though...

Hey! Streak! Long time no see pal! I'm still sad that you discontinued MechaMeadness... u_u Sure buddy, gimme a call anytime.

But why do you only want to talk to me AFTER SAGE? Why not during SAGE as well? XD

And, for the sake of all that is holy, I promisse the gameplay won't suffer from the "hold right" syndrome.

But, I think I'm talking too much and not showing anything at all. I actually preffer to show more tangible proof than just a handful of screenshots. I'll eventually record a video as the time to SAGE comes near. While a video is still not enough to me, it is, indeed, worth more than just words and images.

No offense, but promises of that type are cheap. Gimmick creation can be tricky. Exponentially so when you need 3D assets for every one you want to have. And if Streak is helping you out, not to call him a complete jackass or anything, but he probably would scoff at working on that type of asset.

Who knows though. You seem clever. Maybe you'll get a little further than the sweet tech-demo stage.

Lol, silly DW.

Anyways, Endri. I wanted to speak after SAGE because I wanted to see how far along you get with this project. I'd love to see what it's currently capable of but I'm not any more special than anyone else here. It's looking good so far. The character models could probably use some of that parallax texture mapping as well, lol. That or just some general textures to make them look less than plastic.

Sorry, but I know very well that saying what the game will feature or not is kind of pointless and doesn't proof anything. That's why I preffer to let the very playable demo to talk by itself.

Also, my intentions where to release the game at this year's SAGE without previous notice, but, I felt like letting people know that progress has been made AND that I did NOT give up on this project, specially because 3D fan games tends to have the fame of never getting past of the tech-demo stage of development.

Another point is, my ideas are well founded, and, I know I'll never be able to please everyone in my creations. For that reason, I simply choose to please only my own self. I belive most of the fan games developers base are people who develop in their spare times as a hobby. I'm included in this base as well, so I do the games for my own enjoyment. It might sound a little too egoist, but, don't take it to this level.

That been said, I'm not making something that doesn't pleases me, but, unfortunately, it might not pleases everyone else as well. Everyone has a recipie of how Sonic games should work, and so do I. I'm more biased to the classic Sonic games, since I started with then, and I try the most to capture the feelings of that era in a completly new dimention. As very well observed by LarkSS, the pallete color choice and 3D model for Knuckles are that of the classic old Knuckles, but in a brand new prespective.

Gimmick creation is one of the most tricky parts of the development. I, right now, am having a little hard time sorting out an interesting gimmick for a certain level of the game, although the main gimmick for the second act of the same level is very well developed, and is very original and interesting.

Although my game might lack or not good and new gimmicks, one thing I can assure is that the levels are not a recipie of:

* Hold right. Finish the level.

* Hold right. Jump a couple of times. Finish the level.

* Hold right. Battle the level boss. Next level...

..and so on. I belive that games must have variety in every context.

One more thing. Streak is NOT helping out in the project development. I'm working solo. But that doesn't prevent me from hearing suggestions. I ask for suggestion from technically experienced programmers in 3D development, as Damizean, Mark Echidna, or LarkSS, for ideas of what might or might not work well together. The engine, the game itself, are all the concretization of my own thoughts.

EDIT: Streak posted while I was typing! XD

It would be a shame if Sonic Attitude would die.

I mean, developing an entire suit for game creation, and, creating no game in it...

...because, Attitude Engine is a SDK before anything. Not a game.

Right. Re-upped for your pleasure. However, bear in mind this is the OLD tech demo, compiled to Windows 2008, from the DS version. Also, it is almost unplayable.

Now, regarding the characters 3D models and shaders, well... I was feeling a like sick today, so I stayed in home and used this opportunity to check what could be done to the characters models. I checked the huge library of SEGA's 3D models, and I could notice that none of them capture the classic feeling of the series at all. Some of them are even very ugly, as Sonic 2006's Knuckles model. So I guess my model is the way to go.

I'm pretty happy with the results of Knuckles' skin and shoes shaders. I messed a little with the specularities of the red coat, but, currently, I good with the way it is. But I'll make some changes here and there eventually.

• 2 weeks later...

Ummm... nothing at all... just two screencaps I took two nights ago while talking with P3DR0 in the MSN...

Clipboard(0).png

Clipboard(2).png

Knuckles gliding in the oblivion and and Knuckles "walking" vertically.

Well, from know on, I guess I will be sharing more screenies from ingame until SAGE.