A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Attitude; video on last page

Endri

...okay, now you two are confusing me. I never had problem to distinguish who was Cyber Rat and who was Cyborg_Ar. Now I can't help to mistake one for the other.

We decided a change in username would be best. People confused them when their usernames stated who they are, so we decided to make the usernames state who they are not.

Well, I guess I can't please everyone.

This game looks pretty awesome, I can't wait to play this (now that I have a geforce 9800 GT card). I hope I can run this decently.

Hmm... I don't know if you responded this question before, but which language do you use to program your project?

We decided a change in username would be best. People confused them when their usernames stated who they are, so we decided to make the usernames state who they are not.

Well, I guess I can't please everyone.

Oh, no, it's fine. It's just, I started to get confused that's all. Guess I'll have to get used to who they are NOT from now on.

This game looks pretty awesome, I can't wait to play this (now that I have a geforce 9800 GT card). I hope I can run this decently.

Hmm... I don't know if you responded this question before, but which language do you use to program your project?

I'm not sure myself if I have answered this question before or not, but here it is anyway:

For the DS, and iPhone for the matter, C++.

The HQ PC version was a huge mix of lots of languages, but let's say BASIC with C, because I linked the BlitzMax module into my custom engine.

I'm not sure myself if I have answered this question before or not, but here it is anyway:

The HQ PC version was a huge mix of lots of languages, but let's say BASIC with C, because I linked the BlitzMax module into my custom engine.

Good. Well, can a geforce 9800 gt run this fine?

Dude, this is a fangame. I'm sure a geforce 9800 could run any newer commercial game without problems. Unless Endri absolutely horribly optimizes his game, you should have no problems.

Dude, this is a fangame. I'm sure a geforce 9800 could run any newer commercial game without problems. Unless Endri absolutely horribly optimizes his game, you should have no problems.
Yes, that. Exactly what Cyber Rat said.

The game is well optmized and well stable. Can possible run even in a onboard Intel Chipset GPU.

Maybe even in Lark's computer! XD

EDIT: ... although it is indeed a fan game, the source engine used is very complex, so we should refrain from depreciating it, or the opposite, since it uses shaders. And shaders are no fun and games, you know. Before, the engine used pixel and vertex shader 3.0, but thanks to Damizean hint, it now uses selective shaders 1.0 through 3.0. If your GPU currently support the technology, it uses the highest level commands from determinated tasks, if not, uses low level functions. If you use Vista with DX10, and your GPU has shaders 3.0 capabilities, then it will use the GPU instructions for mostly every pre and post rendering with little to no performance cost at all, leaving the entire CPU time free, meaning, smooth, fast, 60fps gameplay.

So instead of filling up RAM you're going to hope that the user has enough memory bandwidth to stream your ridiculously large textures on-the-fly.

I'm sorry, but honestly? I'd rather sit at a loading screen for 5-20 seconds if it meant a vastly smaller file size.

Nevermind the fact that finding a good place to host a 1gb file is going to be just about impossible. Most of the places with 1gb limits aren't exactly what you'd call "stable hosting". You are going to hit internet bandwidth caps fast and hard.

This does not make sense on any level to me.

• Like 1

So instead of filling up RAM you're going to hope that the user has enough memory bandwidth to stream your ridiculously large textures on-the-fly.

I'm sorry, but honestly? I'd rather sit at a loading screen for 5-20 seconds if it meant a vastly smaller file size.

Nevermind the fact that finding a good place to host a 1gb file is going to be just about impossible. Most of the places with 1gb limits aren't exactly what you'd call "stable hosting". You are going to hit internet bandwidth caps fast and hard.

everything in this post deserves QFT.

I am not downloading this if it is that big.

That's what I said, BlazeHedgehog. I use large assets for development only. Meaning, when the project get into public, it is pointless, almost absurd to have such a massive size.

EDIT: I thought the case was solutioned when I said the words "no internet conection" and "formatted". I'm not releasing anything anytime soon.

Yes, I'm sure my 384MB of RAM and 8MB VRAM can take on your massive 64bit textures any day!
... <_<

Oh! Hi Lark! I didn't know you were there... ouch

... if you had 64MB VRAM we could have a nice little talk...

64bit textures
Yay for floating points pixels and alpha!

I'd say make it a torrent release...

Though... I wouldn't have minded hosting this game \ My web server never really gets used to its full anyway, especially in the way of bandwidth. Granted, I'd have to wait until the week before SAGE before I could gauge how much bandwidth to allocate his game (I can most likely guarantee this game 600GB, depending on how many other people accept my hosting offer this year, though assuming 600GB is the case, 150GB would be given to everyone else, and even if traffic to my server to SAGE booths quadruples from what it was last year, I'd still have 50GB left over... and an additional 100GB left over for random use that probably wouldn't get used anyway.)

Regardless of size, since hard drive space means nothing to me these days, I want to play this...

And since you're judging off of your dev work, who knows what this will look like when even compressed in an installer or rar + optimizations...

I don't care how large this game is, I really want to try it. If needed, I can host it for you through SAGE, but I'd probably need to take it down afterward. Can't guarantee how well it'll work, but if you need it, it's better than rapidshare....
Oh, thanks, Neo Harzard, for the offer. I'm currently taking the time to optimize the resources for a release build. Which means, the board wins! I'll stop getting lazy and do the right thing once and for all. That been said, the project won't possibly overlap the 50MB mark... I guess. Although, currently what I optimized so far are 45 files, 34MB.

Oh, thanks, Neo Harzard, for the offer. I'm currently taking the time to optimize the resources for a release build. Which means, the board wins! I'll stop getting lazy and do the right thing once and for all. That been said, the project won't possibly overlap the 50MB mark... I guess. Although, currently what I optimized so far are 45 files, 34MB.

50mb is by no means bad. I'll host that for life if needed. ;)

Okay. No light exists without shadows. Definitely.

I was taking some screenshots last night to show the differences in resolution, and to show what the cut demo have so far, and then, my monitor started... umm... "ghosting" (the OSD keeps in front of the screen as if someone were remotely changing the monitor options). Much like as if it was haunted.

So, I don't know what I'll do while I don't fix this one, or buy another, since I can't see a thing with the OSD in front of the screen. :(

this sure is a huge misfortune streak...

thats messed up. there aren't any other monitors in your house? Or are you forced to buy a new one to continue (they are expensive as hell).

I can say with pretty good confidence that there's no way that there will be a gig's worth of games this SAGE, haha.
Yeah, I'd say this year there might be half a gb. Idk man, lets say 30+ people make booths (not really unreasonable) and lets say each game is 10mbs. Thats 300mb, plus some will submit 2 or 3 games/demos, which'll bring us up 500mb. Yeah, no way theres gonna be a gb unless a couple of people show off some 100mb 3D games.

Actually I do have 2 spare monitors here. But they are small, 15", CRT of 4:3 dimensions, monitors. Since I program everything around a 1080p resolution, and then scale down for lower resolutions accordinly as needed, it's pretty hard to get around with them. 64bit of depth textures are pretty much like 24bit of depth textures. No, no, I don't feel confortable to work with them. I can use them to snap the screenshots, but these will be low resolution.

Also, one question. Won't this year's SAGE be a huge, internet moving, expo event, as it has been these lasted years? I mean, 2007 and 2008 had such a huge hype.