A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Mega Man 9 out on WiiWare

http://www.destructoid.com/mega-man-9-coming-to-wiiware-spacecat-yawns-and-goes-back-to-sleep-92408.phtml

And the scans:

http://www.destructoid.com/blogs/nilcam/mega-man-9-on-wiiware-92400.phtml

The NES graphics gets a NOT SURE IF WANT from me, if only because SNES graphics get me hard. Mega Man and Bass? Stunning.

Either way, this recieved an out-loud "woah" from me. This is pretty a major win for WiiWare.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm... you know, I actually didn't all that love the first few Mega Mans... Men... for their limited-by-hardware gameplay mechanics. I hope they aren't going too faithfully retro on this. But WiiWare MegaMan 9 is just what the doctor ordered.

According to Megaman Zero, Sigma was vanquished by the Mother Elf. Either that's a huge plot hole, or Lumina is retarded.

MMZ ruins the series. An elf? What's next? Santa? Uh, anyway..I hope Zero makes an appearance in MM9 or something, I'd like to see what happens right before the X series. Everything.

Guest Shadix
According to Megaman Zero, Sigma was vanquished by the Mother Elf. Either that's a huge plot hole, or Lumina is retarded.

X6-X8 and the Zero series could be considered in alternate continuities, as X5 was intended to be the end of the X series (Keiji Inafune started working on MMZ, and then surprise he discovered that the X series was being continued then flipped out).

MMZ continues from the X5 ending where Zero dies, while X6 goes off of X's ending where X remembers Zero but doesn't know if Zero dies or not. (and apparently doesn't, seeing as he "pulls himself together" in X6.)

But yeah, plothole much.

---

Actually it would be pretty awesome if Zero appeared in MM9 and finally finished the story. I'm just disappointed at the 8bitness, so much so I don't even think I'll even play it. :\

Yeah, I really don't comprehend this choice to take a step back from the Visuals of 8... which were fantastic... to this stoneage bullshit. I might bite, I might not. It depends on how fluid things are. If the animations are at least on par with the SNES animations (fluidity, not pixel/color density), I'll probably go for it.

Well I guess they took what fans wanted too literally, a classic megaman game. And that's what they are getting.

Also, even though Sigma died in X5, it's still funny how you fought him in nearly all the last boss battles X6-X8. Actually, I thought he was dead in X5, but was in his virus form. then x6 was zombie sigma. Oh well, I guess megaman X, isn't X without Sigma. besides, I think they are running out of animals for mavericks anyway.

but lol at plugman. I mean what is hell can plugman do. actually, that gives me a dirty idea.

Guest Shadix
This looks sweet, it also gives me an idea that goes a bit off topic: Sonic 4?

...Tell me, do you REALLY want Sonic Team to do that? The thought of them trying to do a classic Sonic game gives me shivers.

What's wrong with a little nostalgia? :( I love the nes sprites anyway so I'm really quite excited that they're using them for this

The NES sprites were never really that pretty. Quite ugly for an NES game. The graphics for the PSX Mega Manz were easy on the eyes and had animation as smooth as Land O' Lakes butter.

And look at the fire dragon; they copypasta'd a fire enemy from the previous games, took off the arms, and slapped a dragon head at the end. I'm no graphics whore, but I could make that in MSPaint and no one would pay me a dime for it.

Plugman sounds like an awful Robot Master. :(

More like BUTT Plug Man, right guys? Look out Galaxy Man; your Galaxy Beam has nothing on these plugs of death.

Also, Splash Woman? I'd splash that woman if you know what I mean ;)

EDIT:

The story is as standard as any of the previous Rockman games, but with a twist. Robots are on a rampage, and Wily is coming back, but this time around, he states that the robot attacks are caused by Dr. Right, Rockman's own creator. Now Rockman has to prove his creator's innocence by defeating the new robot masters and finding the real truth behind the cause.

Wily is the villain, Dark Vader is Luke's father, and Jesus dies on the cross, but is rumored to return in the sequel.

So apparently I missed the fact that Ini Creates (Zero 1-4, ZX, Advent) is working on this. Those guys totally nailed the classic gameplay and built on it in their games, so this should be a solid game.

Not that you can fuck up Mega Man after rehashing it so many times, but it's still nice to hear, because those guys kick ass.

Megaman games had a story?

Anyway, I'm not sure wether or not to be excited. Same guys that did MMZ is good, but NES is bad. Personally, I couldn't stand those games. They were really slow and not difficult in a fun way, just in a really frustrating way. If theres dashing and wall jumping in this game, I'll get it.

Megaman games had a story?

Anyway, I'm not sure wether or not to be excited. Same guys that did MMZ is good, but NES is bad. Personally, I couldn't stand those games. They were really slow and not difficult in a fun way, just in a really frustrating way. If theres dashing and wall jumping in this game, I'll get it.

Dude, they're not working with NES technology, it's 8 bit graphics an music running on the engine of the wii.

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2008/06/27/megaman-9-to-be-the-first-game-to-hit-wiiware-xbla-and-psn

Megaman 9 is currently on the company's E3 roster, listed as a PSN and XBLA release. However, leaked scans from the latest edition of Nintendo Power reveal that the title is also going to be heading to WiiWare. Megaman 9 returns the series to its 2D roots, opting for classic sprites and old-school gameplay rather than glitz and glamor. Imagine that: a brand new "retro" release. But, for Blue Bomber fans, this may be just what the doctor ordered.

According to the text of the article, the game is being developed by Inti Creates, a group of long lost Capcom employees who worked on the Megaman Zero and Megaman ZX franchises. Expect further coverage of the title to follow as well as impressions from E3 later in July.

I wonder if it's the same game visually across all three. Will be interesting to see how they've adapted 8 bit sprites to a HD resolution.

I hope it's hi-res bitmaps drawn as 8bit sprites rather than a lame upscale job. For the sake of having a clean image.