A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Mega Man 9 out on WiiWare

Plenty of ripoff download content with this one:

- Endless Attack: A never ending level where players compete for who arrives the farthest. (300 Points)

- Hero Mode: Play the whole game on a higher difficulty. (100 Points)

- Superhero Mode: Play the whole game on an extremely high difficulty. (100 Points)

- Proto Man Mode: Play the game as Proto Man (200 Points)

- Special Stage: A brand new stage with a brand new boss for Time Attack. (100 Points)

So, if difficulty changes are anything like in previous Mega Man games, you'll be paying a buck for the ability to change your health and make your weapons do half damage. Or two if you want a little variety in the decision.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plenty of ripoff download content with this one:

- Endless Attack: A never ending level where players compete for who arrives the farthest. (300 Points)

- Hero Mode: Play the whole game on a higher difficulty. (100 Points)

- Superhero Mode: Play the whole game on an extremely high difficulty. (100 Points)

- Proto Man Mode: Play the game as Proto Man (200 Points)

- Special Stage: A brand new stage with a brand new boss for Time Attack. (100 Points)

So, if difficulty changes are anything like in previous Mega Man games, you'll be paying a buck for the ability to change your health and make your weapons do half damage. Or two if you want a little variety in the decision.

I don't know, this whole game still sounds like a ripoff. Why spend 15 dollars for what is essentially an NES game? :\

Guess whether I get it is highly dependent on the price point. I still think Capcom is taking us for tools suckering us up with this 8bit nonsense on an outdated formula they've raped 6 times prior. I suppose it could also be that I just wasn't very fond of the NES Megamans, but I also think that Capcom is in it for an extremely lazy buck. The Megaman formula by Megaman & Bass was pretty much amazing, why take a step back?

I'll probably end up getting it, I'm just having trouble coping with some of the principles behind this, because at the same token, this opens up other franchises to build new installments, and buying this game shows developers that retro games are commercially viable again.

I don't know, this whole game still sounds like a ripoff. Why spend 15 dollars for what is essentially an NES game? :\

Guess whether I get it is highly dependent on the price point. I still think Capcom is taking us for tools suckering us up with this 8bit nonsense on an outdated formula they've raped 6 times prior. I suppose it could also be that I just wasn't very fond of the NES Megamans, but I also think that Capcom is in it for an extremely lazy buck. The Megaman formula by Megaman & Bass was pretty much amazing, why take a step back?

I'll probably end up getting it, I'm just having trouble coping with some of the principles behind this, because at the same token, this opens up other franchises to build new installments, and buying this game shows developers that retro games are commercially viable again.

Retro games have always been viable, look at the DS, it's got tons of ports coming through at full price, we're getting a brand new megaman adventure, new robot masters, new music, new levels, super nostalgia, for $10?? that's awesome, the only dlc that's even worth the $2 is maybe protoman.

Actually, Shadix, it's $10 :V

@tentril: DLC isn't available yet.

Mega Man 2 wasn't the best game in the series.

QFT. But MM9 is really, really awesome.

The third Wily Stage is something out of I Wanna Be the Guy:

There are a few parts where you float, ala Willy Wonka. To move left and right, you use the gun to add momentum. You dodge spikes, and at the very end, there's a sharp turn you have to make before hitting a cieling of spikes.

If you go to the very end, past the ladder (no spikes there), the grabby robot grabs you and thrusts you into a spike for an instant death.

The next screen has three 1-Ups. Two of them are actually helmet enemies that shoot you.

I have not beaten this stage.

I'll settle for romhacks. I really do hate the step back from 8/&Bass just to appeal to the retro crowd.

That's funny you say that because thats what basically what MM9 is. >.>

Yes though, I want to see Megaman & Bass\8's gameplay and style expanded upon more. Maybe add some closure to the original series? Bring in how X was invented and inversely how Zero was, and what happened to all of the other Megaman characters.

However, if they choose to do a new installment to the X series as a response to this, they should use the style from X4-6, not X-3.

Shitsux. DO NOT WANT.

This is an intelligent and well-thought post :V

I'll settle for romhacks. I really do hate the step back from 8/&Bass just to appeal to the retro crowd.

Eh, I honestly forgot all about lack of different mechanics when I booted it up (charge, slide). And to be fair, Mega Man 8 was pretty lame, with stupid stages with dumb shit like "JUMP JUMP! SLIDE SLIDE! SLIDE SLIDE! JUMP JUMP!". MM&B rocked, though it really offered nothing new beyond a new character and a different level select structure.

Alternatively you can just pirate the damn game with Homebrew Channel. I opted to actually buy it, for reasons explained in a DToid post (on MM9 selling 60,000 in one day):

Regardless of whether or not you're into Mega Man, this is very good news indeed. What this proves is that you can provide a traditional, challenging, very hardcore videogame in the modern world and have it succeed. Especially on the Wii of all places, this is encouraging stuff. Other publishers take note -- there is still a market for real games, and judging by these sales, the market is ravenous.

I just completed the game, the last levels were really hard but in the end it was really rewarding to beat them, especially because I kept coming up with my own strategies.

And considering the amazing sales the game got on its first day, I wouldn't be surprised if Capcom is ready to make Mega Man 10.

Saved up to get 9 lives and 9 energy tanks because the blob twins were pissing me off last night. Died maybe 4 times and used like 5 energy tanks. Still awesome beating the game. going for achievements now. 25% or something currently.

As for the whole step back thing, I only missed the slide kick. That started in 2 didn't it? No reason for that not to be there. Besides that, it didn't feel incomplete without them or anything.

It started in 3 actually. But yeah, I agree, I would like to see Slide returning, it doesn't hurt the gameplay experience at all.

I don't miss the Charge Shot, I honestly can't see it being excluded being a step back. Infact, I thought the Charge Shot made the series felt like a step back itself, especially challenge-wise. I wouldn't mind if it's in the next games as optional, that'd be a win-win situation.

The game was really a blast. I have a hard time deciding if it's on par with 2 and 3. The difficulty is really forgiving most of the times too, expect for the whole "Gravity + Spikes!" puzzle BS I had to deal with in Wily Stage 3. I had so many Game Overs from that.