A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Unleashed

Good luck. And good job getting the 360 version, heh. It seems to be the best of the versions that are already out, from what I've heard.

EDIT: Now everyone knows what a whiney bunch of brats they are over at Gamefaqs, but even they're enjoying it. I don't see one negative topic on the front page. They're all things such as "Holy crap! The sonic levels are SPECTACULAR", "So far this has just been a simply blast of fun for me :)", and "Sonic fans are in for a treat.".

Meh. I'm not believing it. All the reviews in the world can say it was a good game for all I care. Until someone glues my palms to a controller and forces me to play, I'm going to take the last 3-4 games, and even a handful of the comments in said reviews to mean it's utter crap.

Sonic done been broke my <3.

Good luck. And good job getting the 360 version, heh. It seems to be the best of the versions that are already out, from what I've heard.

EDIT: Now everyone knows what a whiney bunch of brats they are over at Gamefaqs, but even they're enjoying it. I don't see one negative topic on the front page. They're all things such as "Holy crap! The sonic levels are SPECTACULAR", "So far this has just been a simply blast of fun for me :)", and "Sonic fans are in for a treat.".

Actually, I'm pretty sure the gamefaqers always have that same kind of initial hype I'm talking about.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/xbox360/review/929717.html

Just pointing out that there are plenty of gamefaqs members who gave this 8s and up.

And yes, yes I am going to listen to the negative criticism at this point. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me the next two times, things are getting a little flaky. Fool me again and damn I'm a fucking idiot. Full me once more after that? Well, shame on me.

EDIT:

And another review for people who haven't seen 1UP's opinion.

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3171439&p=4

It seems pretty unanimous in the media to me that this is a pretty crumby game, brought down mostly by the most retarded design choice in the world. Which again... I can only think the reason for that is because if the retarded werewolf weren't there, the real levels in the game would seem shallow. Which I still insist they look very shallow.

I hated that more than anything I've seen involving Sonic Unleashed. I hate those 3D pixar-type animations, and Sonic most definitely doesn't belong in one. I can't believe they even bothered to do this.

You clearly don't know anything about the Sonic fanbase at GameFAQs. They're just as obsessed with all of the new games as everyone else.

Just acquired the 360 version, will give more impressions later. I'm currently psyched over this game and have been craving this new gameplay style, so we'll see if it's good or something.

Positives: the movement engines are not completely broken

Negatives: too much werehog bullshit, Hub world still mandatory despite reports otherwise, werehog, more werehog, artificial gameplay lengthening, music lacking, enemies generic as always, speed levels feel stuff and pointless, werehog fun for the first 5 minutes, werehog levels too abundant.

I'll see if I can play this through to the end. I really don't want to.

The 360 version is a blast! Sonic controls so solidly, and the levels are more intricate than they appear. (and long) The hub worlds have puzzles in them as well.

The werehog is a mixed bag. The levels are wayy too long and he controls very clunkily. However, there are level specific gimmicks and cool puzzles in the levels.

You clearly don't know anything about the Sonic fanbase at GameFAQs. They're just as obsessed with all of the new games as everyone else.

I think this community is just obsessed with bitching about it. I personally have seen nothing wrong with the game since we've been getting live demo playbacks, but this place seems to excel at finding completely random things to hate about something so simple. Badnick design? Seriously?

Stupid shit aside, can someone confirm if the spindash / roll is even in this game? I dont really care if it isnt seeing its been optional to even use since the adventure series, but i havent seen a single video of anyone using it on the 360 version.

And also, how are those "framerate issues"? I remember a few critics bitching about it alot, although in more recent gameplay videos the areas with horrible slowdown dont seem to have it anymore.

Well, personally I'm interested in the game. It looked fun to me. I'll be after the PS3 version so I have to wait a little longer. From the videos and such I've seen, I'm interested. I really don't give a damn about things like badnik designs. I've seen I think 3 people say so far that the game is good and 2 people that are normally insanely critical of a lot of things. Different strokes for different folks. I'm gonna try it out when it arrives for my console. So far its 3 to 2 on if its good or not. So obviously this game has some merit. I'm going to give it the benefit of a doubt and walk in with out high hopes but with hope nontheless.

Only on the 3rd level so far so i can't weigh in completely, the action stages are super fun. The were hog stages, eh if you're a fan of god of war and prince of persia, they won't bother you.

I think sega decided to find out what people like in games nowadays and smashed it all into this to try to appeal to more people. There's a way better amount of quality and polish to this one than last offering, so keep that in mind. No retarded load times also!

i bought the wii version yesterday and it's great! i don't know what people are talking about but this game is really good! i swear im not lying. i'm having a lot of fun with it. and weirdly enough, the werehog is by far the best idea sonic team has ever had. im so happy there are more werehog stages in the wii version. the sonic gameplay is so much worse for me, but i love the werehog ones. i love the feeling offinding hidden items and having a vast land to explore. it makes the game so much longer and much more enjoyable. I'd have to say for this version, the werehog beats the crap out of sonic. i simply love the gameplay, kicking the crap out of numerous enemies at once. the stretchy arms add to the enjoyment aswell. the levels are just so fun to play. Both sonic and werehhog are worthy enough for replayability. werehog for finding hidden items, exploring, or just having a blast beating the hell out of the enemies. sonic is actually fun, don't get me wrong. the only stage i've played so far that was really boring was apotos. but this game is great!

im so happy there are more werehog stages in the wii version.

Are you kidding me? The werehog takes up way too much of the game.

And yes, I have the game. That I've downloaded. Oh, I mean hi.

The werehog platforming is good, but the fighting (which takes up 1/3 of the levels) gets boring after a while. I also hate Chun-Nan's werehog stages. FIGHTING ENEMIES ON SMALL PLATFORMS OVER THE PITS! WHAT?!

Lets also ban people from discussions because they decided NOT to completely hate everything about the game since it was announced

I don't even see you in possession of the game yet. And if you hate this place so much, why don't you just leave already? I'm sure Sonic Stadium would love to have you.

Anyway more thoughts, and 5 cups of green tea later. (Just finished desert speed stage, can't remember name)

Speed stages are fun when its the main run to the goal stuff. When they decide that you can't break jars, then I get irked. It seems as an artificla way to add "Acts" to the speed stages. Then you get to play 3 werehog stages, which I admit can be amusing. The games boss fights are a huge step up from the last game.

the game looks pretty for a Wii game.

So in summary:

Positives so far: Speed stages are actually fun, the first time. Werehog stages fun, the first time. Game looks nice, soundtrack isn't bad as long as I don't hear that Endless Possibility crap. Prof Pickle has good taste in sandwiches.

Negatives: DON'T BREAK THE TARGETS! Werehog act 2 and 3. Fly from Holaska to visit the professor to have him tell you to go back to Holaska. Those aforementioned Chun-nan fights on tiny platforms of death.

My outlook is improving a little bit now, and I'll probably rent the PS3 version when its out to see if thats any better. Going to work now, I'll try to finish the main stuff tonight, then record a nice audio view.

BTW, I don't review in an sort of sane measurement scale anymore, so if someone really feels the need to have a grade, I rate it cucumber sandwich out of Space Channel 5.

werehog is definately not terrible but it doesn't belong in my sonic game. If they had made the game all action stages I'd say this game effin rocks. It's still a pretty good game. And is anyone relieved they didn't use a ridiculously high pitched voice for chip? He's actually a halfway decent character.

Just to clarify, werehog isn't bad IMO. I would never purchase a game revolving this character alone, if I wanted to I'd purchase god of war, which is clearly what they were shooting for with the stupid stretchy arms.

I think this community is just obsessed with bitching about it. I personally have seen nothing wrong with the game since we've been getting live demo playbacks, but this place seems to excel at finding completely random things to hate about something so simple. Badnick design?

Badnik design eh? I don't remember too many people bitching about that specifically. I do remember myself getting rather annoyed with SEGA for the following:

Sonic Heroes - saturating every level with Egg Pawns and only having two stage specific enemies (mage and weird laser shooting robot thing that was never a threat). Also having enemies that require over 10 seconds to kill.

Sonic Rush - Recycling the enemies from Heroes. Having rooms where fighting enemies is the requisite for moving on.

Shadow the Hedgehog - Recycling enemies from Heroes... and then recycling that AI to make the basic infantry for the human/alien factions. Requiring players not only to kill enemies to progress, but also to kill every enemy of a single type to play through.

Don't get me wrong, I do believe uninspired designs are a perfectly valid complaint... but I don't believe I saw a single person complaining about the enemies in Sonic 2006 even. No one really made an issue of Shadow the Hedgehog or Rush. And I think I'm the only one that brought up Heroes' issues.

I suppose I should also mention another set of enemies that can be easily hated on.... Sonic and the Secret Rings. Something about cycling the same stand there and do nothing or stand there and breathe fire enemies throughout every single stage while constantly dressing them up in new barely-different shirts and hats would be enough to piss anyone off. But I do have to say... at least they put that much effort in.