A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

E3 2008 Discussion Topic

E3 starts Monday July 14th. I'd like to keep minor mentions that don't entirely warrant their own topic (like announcements without much to go on) in this topic during that time. And yes, I will enforce that, so it isn't really a suggestion.

Worth Mentioning:

http://kotaku.com/5017021/nintendo-promises-announcements-for-core-gamers-at-e3

Nintendo promises announcements geared towards people who, like me, are beginning to want to punt their Wii out the window due to casual stupidity.

http://kotaku.com/5018216/microsoft-home-to-most-exclusives

Microsoft states that by the end of this year, they will have 2-3 times more titles than either Wii or PS3. Probably includes XBox live without covering PSN or WiiWare/VC, but... eh... whatev.

http://kotaku.com/5016414/mega-man-9-rated-surely-coming

Mega Man 9. Not a whole lot to mention yet though.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How could anyone want to punt their Wii when a sequel to Tales of Symphonia is being made for it?

The Symphonia team isn't working on that, they're doing the next gen game Vesperia. Not that I would give a shit because I bought the first and can't get past the 2 hour mark because I find it so utterly boring. ToS more liek PoS amirite lulz

*runs from scary Tales Of fans*

It's wii time! I want to see more of project zero 4. It is the game I am waiting for.

That comes out like next month, doesn't it? In Japan I mean. Now that Nintendo is publishing I expect the European release date to be christmas. Christmas 2009 that is.

With Silent Hill V being dissapointing because Konami doesn't give a fuck about the franchise anymore I'll have to resort to Fatal Frame and Siren for my horror fixes this generation. I wanted a good next gen Silent Hill :<

Anyways. E3. Just give me some Team ICO news and it's instant success. Otherwise I'll settle for God of War, FFXIII, Metroid, Infamous and candy. And Mother but we all know Nintendo would rather make some retarded minigame casual bullshit than localize Itoi's work.

Oh hell, sephi, didn't know you were a fan of the project zero series. I love you more than before.

Actually didn't know it was going to be released so soon. Actually I didn't see anything but 3 screens, I though they needed more time and probably they could show something on this E3. Then, I will just wait to see what's the surprise of Nintendo, and I seriously have faith on that to not be a nintendo game.

How could anyone want to punt their Wii when a sequel to Tales of Symphonia is being made for it?

However, even this cannot save me from wishing there were more games for the Wii that weren't just crappy minigames.

Um... maybe because while fairly good, Tales of Symphonia was a game that really just dragged on at the end. And Lloyd get's pimped out in like every Namco (it is Namco right?) offering right now anyway.

I'm only angry depending on what you think makes ToS suck. If its story thats fine by me, but for the first time in a long time I played an RPG for gameplay and not story.

If you didn't like the gameplay, I suppose I'll hunt you down and kill you or something. On second thought, I'm far too lazy to even consider that.

Did I not say that it drags on? And did I say it sucks? Jeez, what the fuck are you smoking. I oughta strip your UGB privileges for a week... All I'm saying is it was just a tad overrated and is now getting whored to high hell. Thinking in terms of Tales games that get direct sequels... it isn't many.

Most of that was directed at Mr. DB and his PoS joke.

Story was boring, uninteresting characters, bland artistic direction (it's decent and colorful - always a plus - but didn't strike me as particularly inspired).

The unskippable mandatory skits or whatever that shitty talking portraits thing was with not even a trace of voice acting to ease the pain got on my nerves REALLY fast. Had the characters sparked some response on my part would've made them bearable but holy fuck where they shallow or wat. Xenogears has the same slow text syndrome the entire game but since Xenogears was actually a pretty awesome RPG with good characters and a fun, unique combat system I could beat it and enjoy it.

The combat system in ToS? Slow and clunky. Perhaps had I not played Star Ocean 3 before my opinion would've changed but TriAce knows how to make addictive real time RPG battles and Symphonia's felt a major downgrade. Letdown total.

In short, I paid 60€ for a game that I can't play. I'd rather replay Ecco PS2 entirely than having a 5 hour session with ToS. I respect your opinion and hope you enjoy the franchise, but for the foreseeable future I'm not touching any Tales Of game with a ten foot pole.

FFX got a friggen sequel.

FFX-2, despite having a cringe-worthy plot and introducing a dumb new cast was a lot of fun to play. Simply because it had the best realtime ATB implementation of the FF series making battles a blast. I would hope FFXIII's combat plays a lot like that.

Sorry for the offtopic.

And back to the thread at hand, will SFGHQ host an irc room or chat session or whatever to discuss the pre-E3 conferences? Keynotes are so much fun when in a group.

Story was boring, uninteresting characters, bland artistic direction (it's decent and colorful - always a plus - but didn't strike me as particularly inspired).

The unskippable mandatory skits or whatever that shitty talking portraits thing was with not even a trace of voice acting to ease the pain got on my nerves REALLY fast.

... Unskippable? What version were you playing where the skits were not only unskippable, but not optional? o_O

The combat system in ToS? Slow and clunky. Perhaps had I not played Star Ocean 3 before my opinion would've changed but TriAce knows how to make addictive real time RPG battles and Symphonia's felt a major downgrade. Letdown total.

I own both, and ToS gets the nod for not making it a hassle to actually hit the enemy. Sure, there's little depth to it, but it's a hell of a lot more responsive than SO3's "press something and wait" battle system. Both are fun, in my opinion.

In short, I paid 60€ for a game that I can't play. I'd rather replay Ecco PS2 entirely than having a 5 hour session with ToS. I respect your opinion and hope you enjoy the franchise, but for the foreseeable future I'm not touching any Tales Of game with a ten foot pole.

Play Tales of Phantasy/Destiny and get over it. =/

... Unskippable? What version were you playing where the skits were not only unskippable, but not optional? o_O
I could swear there's mandaroty skit sequences as well as optional. And I couldn't make the goddamn text GO FASTERRRRRGH in either.
Play Tales of Phantasy/Destiny and get over it. =/

I'd prefer to save up for RPGs less likely to annoy me. Like Disgaea 3 or Shirokishi Monogatari, the latter being one title I hope to see new stuff of this E3 rather than waiting for TGS :D

But hey, if I happen to come accross a borrowed copy or a demo of a new Tales Of game and I am incredibly bored I could give them a 5 minutes try, if only so I can bitch later. I did beat Shadow the Hedgehog after all. Also I can't say no to free stuff, it's written on my genes.

I could swear there's mandaroty skit sequences as well as optional. And I couldn't make the goddamn text GO FASTERRRRRGH in either.

If there were, they were few, far between, and were necessary so you'd know what to do next. All I'm saying is, it's nothing to complain about. =/

I'd prefer to save up for RPGs less likely to annoy me. Like Disgaea 3 or Shirokishi Monogatari, the latter being one title I hope to see new stuff of this E3 rather than waiting for TGS :D

Same, but due note that Phantasia is for the SNES and Destiny for the Playstation - you wouldn't have to spend money on them. =/

• 2 weeks later...
I liked Ecco The Dolphin on PS2.

I liked it too. Problem is, I replayed it earlier this year and going through some especially complex/frustrating stages again so soon would be a painful task.

Remember that fucking level in the man's nightmare chapter where you had to screw with water levels in cramped areas with respawning enemies and the ever present air gauge running out? HATE

Although that chapter did have some of the most interesting stages. Excellent atmosphere, too.

(Late response, sorry, I haven't had much forum tiems).

Also DW, if you dislike it because it's super easy to abuse, that I can understand. I spent the entire game SIDE KICKing bosses.

But it's so fun. Obliterating minions at lightning speed in glorious 60fps, getting the bonus gauge up and keeping it, then unlocking all the battle trophies for rewards and stuff.

No, it was something about the sheer mechanics of it that irked me. SO2 was just as broken with Eternal Sphere and certain moves (hell, even Air Slice/kuhazan was borked to hell and back with Dias at least), but it felt a lot more fun to me. In fact, the whole game was just more exciting to me. I don't know though, it might have helped if I didn't hate every single character and maybe the fighting gets better once you reach the whole "life is a complete and utter lie" part. Sometimes I wish Square+Enix+whatever the hell you should call them since they were two companies then but not now, never came out of the photoshopped backdrop era.

And no, Baiten Kaitos didn't help to ease the pain.

Microsoft is making me LAUGH MY ASS OFF.

They're hyping their new "avatar" system, claiming it to be a unique experience not found on another console. They'd be correct if Miis didn't exist.

EDIT: Now, the EyeToy has been ripped off by Microsoft. This press conference is hilarious.