A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Fangame Zone Ideas

That sounds like it would get really boring quickly. Since this is probably a later level in the game, it calls for a more epic boss. Don't stick to one pattern for the entire fight. Maybe he can do that pattern until he's hit a few times, and then the jaws of the piranha could explode, creating a hole in the ground and Sonic and Robotnik fall to a chamber below to continue fighting. For the rest of the battle, Robotnik could fire torpedos toward Sonic.

Or you know... something like that. Get creative. Make it good.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those colors are absolutely hideous, especially on the protrusions in the wall. The light sources don't work at all. It should be bright on the top and left and dark on the bottom/right. It seems like you chose random colors. Why not take a look at Tidal Tempest for the colors?

Quick example I did:

tetrahydroblockut9.png

Still needs work, but this shows proper lighting at least.

edit: Actually, it might be better if you gave the top/left edge the same palette, and the bottom/right edge the same palette, instead of having different palettes for all sizes. Kudos to you for spriting this stuff from scratch though, I certainly don't have the ambition to do that.

You have some problems with pallete colours. I reccomend you to wait a bit and practice some shading before doing anything more.

The background isn't near finished yet, I haven't even picked the official color pallete yet. All I need are suggestions as to what to add to the BG. :tstare: Basically, I am doing this step by step until it's perfected.

If you don't mind me adding my two cents, the outward "bump" looks rather off. Not the colors, mind - the texture itself. If the bump were truly heading outward, then why does the triangle texture remain at the same angle? Perspective says it should be thinner along one or both of the axes (depending on the angle).

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE:

I changed everything for the graphics in Tetra Hydro Zone over the Memorial Day weekend .. and I think it is quite a turnout.

Here are some sketches of what I have planned out for the zone and their near-finished art from the computer.

The Main Background - 85% complete:

thzmainbgel2md0.png

thzmainbgel2md0.cb6258f84a.jpg

thzbgc01nt9cd6.png

thzbgc01nt9cd6.91d3ef361a.jpg

The Ground/Play Area - 25% complete:

thzgr01db1.png

thzgr01db1.524342ca47.jpg

gr01xh7nl9.png

I am still working on everything and updates will be posted as soon as I complete more through the week. Also a level map coming soon. Ideas welcome.

Well, I'd reccomend you this. Try making the darker lines double thickness (instead one pixel, make them 2 pixels thick). The art is ok but shading looks a bit empty and flat. Making shadows bigger should fix that point, and maybe doung the same with lights will help a lot too.

A even better option could be thatthe new points are drawn with a darker colour, and it will increase the picture quality and fix the contrast, but that could be harder.

EDIT:

Like this:

attachment.php?attachmentid=783&stc=1&d=1212046223

example.bmp

I'm back to work on the blocks, actually finishing up and I came up with this so far:

thzgrc02it4.png

thzgrc02it4.415bb50cde.jpg

So what last minute ideas do you guys have? Special thanks goes to those who already helped me out and if anything else, here's your chance. I'll check back before I continue.

That window like thing, doesnt look right. You should remember that you are on a side scrolling game, so there is no Z dimension, so no reason for it to be curved. If you want to make it like it has a round shape, you will have to play with shadings. Try looking at any round object, like rings, tubes, platforms or everything that has the shape you want to draw.

Of course, all this is if that is how you want it to look.

Using 16x16, 32x32, 64x64, 128x128, 256x256, or some combination of these is an absolute necessity. Otherwise when it comes to putting different tiles together, you'll have a lot of trouble getting them to line up right. I found this out the hard way and had to redesign a couple backgrounds.