A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Fangame Zone Ideas

I was going to post some screenshots in the screenshots thread, but as it seems, I think a thread should be dedicated to this. I am working on a few new zone graphics that will hopefully hit a playable project. I'll post what I started this weekend and more will be up throughout the week.

As some of you may already know, Tetra Hydro Zone is a work in progress. Here are a few unedited examples:

THZgraph1.jpg

THZSK02.jpg

My quick sketch above, and below is my zone inspiration.. Tidal tempest Zone, Good Future

SONICTHEHEDGEHOG-CD001.jpg

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was experimenting with some graphics from Sonic CD; Tidal Tempest and Metallic Madness (Good Futures).. I came up with this real quick:

example2wc5.png

example2wc5.a00e75251c.jpg

I am also increasing the brush sizes for my own designs so they match the original thanks to a tip from Rael0505. The development of Tetra Hydro Zone will be inspired by these zone designs combined.

Actually it looks pretty good. But you have to play with layering a bit. It is hard to notice what is the bg and what is the ground. It has passed some time since i noticed that the glass with pink flowers werent over the ground XD.

The fact is that it looks excessively nitid, like everything is on the same plane. Play a bit with lightning, sizes and contrast and it should be perfect, at least for my eyes.

overviewob5.png

overviewob5.68fbc50f0e.jpg

Sonic makes his way into an underwater palace of fish and plant life. Swim your way though, as badnik fish and lobsters try to take a bite from you. Spin through air-tight pipes and make your way to the goal.

Air bubbles will free from cracks in the blocks, take advantage for the zone is mostly underwater. Catch a breath in the pipes as they carry you to the surface.

Nifty. What are you planning to use in order to bring these zones to life?

My only other critique is that everything seems sort of clumped together. Have you considered making the background a bit more distant so it's easier to differentiate it from the foreground?

Nifty. What are you planning to use in order to bring these zones to life?

My only other critique is that everything seems sort of clumped together. Have you considered making the background a bit more distant so it's easier to differentiate it from the foreground?

I'm glad that you brough that up. I haven't decided on that yet. I'm hoping that it'll fit into a project where a programmer can bring it to life. I have no programming knowledge or experience at all, but I can try it if it's needed.

I agree, my graphics above are sorta clumped together, it's a rough, basic example of what I want my zone to look like. It was pointed out that my original design didn't match Sonic at all, I agreed as well so i'm starting over. Check back for updates, thanx Tweaker.

Is there supposed to be some significance to having 739 rings, or is that just the number you ripped from the depths of your ass, because if it is, I have to say, that is no way to plan a level. In fact, I'd have to say that your whole concept is replete with empty and/or half-baked ideas. The boss for instance has no real notion of how it attacks, the one gimmick mentioned isn't described as being in any way unique, you don't describe your pathing at all...

Basically, I'm just saying that the level isn't really in any way defined. Elaborate. The more detail you can describe what you want your objects to do right now, the less revisioning you'll need to do down the line because you just aren't satisfied with how something acts.

Ummm... typo... I dunno. At any rate, you gotta figure, 3 acts, total up the rings. I've seen more. If there were to be that many, in 1 level you can get around 300... if there were that many in 3 acts, you'd get 900. Besides, it's only an idea.. and i'm far from finished. But thank you for your comment.

What I'm saying is, it seems like total nonsense to me to put those kinds of constraints on yourself without having any reason to do so. Why bother mentioning how many rings are in a stage? It's extraneous information that no one in their right mind really gives a shit about eh?

What I'm saying is, it seems like total nonsense to me to put those kinds of constraints on yourself without having any reason to do so. Why bother mentioning how many rings are in a stage? It's extraneous information that no one in their right mind really gives a shit about eh?

jump off his tip, it isnt that serious

There has been some talk about the boss and how it will work. I sketched out a boss design that will show a few things:

thzbossgt6.png

thzbossgt6.5bff7921bd.jpg

Going from left to right, quickly Robotnik will try to chomp or slice you. Depending on how quick you are, you can manage to get in a few hits before he returns to the surface where he will travel back and fourth and cannot be reached until he dives back down.